Your opinion on Ken Rockwell

Never heard of him

When I first started out with a DSLR I found some of his stuff very useful especially using his settings guides etc.
Now I'm a bit more experienced I still like the guy but tend to read what he says and filter his comments and opinions a bit.
He does like those vibrant over saturated shots and settings though :eek:

I always check out Thom Hogans site though (y)

Last edited:
Had his day. When I first started was one of the must reads (or so I thought then). I have not looked at his site now for years. Tend these days to look at the camera store youtube vids and read on here peoples opinions on gear, as here the stuff is getting used in normal life.

as here the stuff is getting used in normal life.
As supposed to what? Not normal life? What would that be then?

I think we must remember that all these "professional reviewers" are given the kit by the manufacturers to review. Non of them are likely to give products a really bad review in case the manufacturers stop using them and they don't get the new kit to play with.

If we remember that all reviews contain useful advice about specs, key features etc. I always think it is worth reading a lot of reviews on any bit of kit I am thinking of buying. Consistent criticism/adverse comments across the reviews I pay attention to. Where the comment appears in one review only I put it down to personal prejudice on the part of the reviewer.

I don't think they are all given the kit, some clearly state that they are not and some clearly state that they buy the kit with their own money. I've read many a review clearly stating they don't like the kit.

I often read Steve Huff's site and while he can be a bit gushing he does say that he doesn't review kit he doesnt like (he didn't like a recent Panasonic and he said so, clearly, although I forget which one it was) and very often compares kit and says which he likes best and why.

He gets paid for his reviews so I am not surprised that everything he is currently reviewing is better than anything else he has ever reviewed.
Unless you are looking for actual specifications of the equipment he is testing, he is best avoided.

Normal life as in buying it for yourself and using, rather than getting for a week or a month and just reviewing.

Last edited:
best quote i heard of his was "whilst i have not actually held this lens" then commenting on it like he had done for years. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I find his site handy for product reviews. It's a bit like a lot of photography sites some of his ideas are good but others I do not agree with such as always use jpeg

It's easy to deride him, somehow elevating yourself in the process, however generally I've found his assessment to be spot on, even with cameras he doesn't like and I love (e.g. RX1R), he points out relevant issues. I'd say he's accurately assessed every lens I've owned.

Last edited:
I envy his longevity. His website has stuck to its roots and seems to do well. Some of his reviews are questionable, but there is no doubting the mans work ethic.... unless he employs ghost writer, but I doubt it.

He is like 80% spot on while the rest is a bit of joke by design. If you have enough brainpower to deal with that I strongly recommend his site.

Ken ? Thought he was Barbies boyfriend ?;)

I'm disappointed that redhead17 appears to be questioning my identity and my intentions in starting this thread. If I have misinterpreted his comments I do apologise.

Correction - redhed17.

The beauty of the Internet we can look at multiple reviews and get a balanced view of something. I always do a lot of research before o buy new gear. I also go and try it out I am spending a lot of money i want to get it right first time. Ken Rockwell is just one source and that's the way I look at it

I'm disappointed that redhead17 appears to be questioning my identity and my intentions in starting this thread. If I have misinterpreted his comments I do apologise.
Sorry you didn't see the humour. :thinking:

God knows I use enough emoticons to try and ensure that the things I write are taken as I meant them. :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

PS Thanks for correcting the spelling, not many bother when they get it wrong. :)

Last edited:
Last time I looked at Kens site pretty sure he was saying P was for professional, good site for an opinion as he usually has one.:)

Sorry - I got it wrong. And to think I pride myself on having a sense of humour.

Sorry you didn't see the humour. :thinking:

God knows I use enough emoticons to try and ensure that the things I write are taken as I meant them. :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

PS Thanks for correcting the spelling, not many bother when they get it wrong. :)

TBH the choice of emoticons made me think you were serious - just a single wink smilie says "I'm joking".

I quite like his older lens reviews, but looking at the images peppered through the reviews makes me question his ability to create good photographs.

He gets paid for his reviews so I am not surprised that everything he is currently reviewing is better than anything else he has ever reviewed.
Unless you are looking for actual specifications of the equipment he is testing, he is best avoided.
Same is true of almost all websites, magazines and bloggers. Most sit on the fence or find something positive to say. But then there aren't many lemons around nowadays.

Whatever his business method, we are all talking about him and he's getting free advertising - so he's a genius in my eyes!

Haven't been on his site for years. But this thread prompted me to.

I've just read his article on the Nikon D5. Feeling depressed. Think I'll cancel my order. ;)

Oh, wait, It's Ken. I'll risk it......

been on his website a few times for specs on lenses, ie; weight, filter size and so on. After reading a few of his "reviews" I think I will now call him Ken 'The Kit Lens' Rockwell.
Every zoom I looked at was not as good as the kit lens according to Ken, but if he has all the gear he says he has then Ken has made a nice little earning website.

Back