Your shots with the Raynox DCR250

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Alby sold me on a Raynox DCR 250 when all I had was a Panny FX18, it introduced me to macro type of photography

I've tried it on a 50D with a 18-55mm kit and a 55-250mm

With the Panny

Panasonic38.jpg

The 18-55mm on the 50D

IMG_9979.jpg

And the 55-250mm

IMG_7898.jpg

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_7533.jpg

Any one else got any shots with the Raynox?

Lovely shots there Carl. very sharp and bags of colour :)

Some super shots above chaps, it's a great little attachment isn't it? ;)
Here is one from me from this morning while out to feed the goldfish. Taken with the DCR 250 on the Sigma 105 ex shot with the Canon 350d.
A newly hatched male mozzy on the water surface.

Click image to view larger

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a cracking little attachment :)

It's a lot cheaper now too. I remember paying about £60. but its around the £36 mark now.

A 50 million year old mozzy, with the 55-250mm with raynox D250

IMG_7972.jpg

Same lens.

IMG_7433.jpg

NIce touch Anthony, now we are showing the new and the old Mozzies ;)

These were taken with the 18-55mm kit lens, and the Raynox D250

IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6437.jpg

Cracking stuff Ant Love the 3 hovers (y)

Here are a few with my Panasonic FZ35 and DCR-250...

4630178983_eb0b695805.jpg

4630627912_f35bee4839.jpg

4630021125_5b7ffeb828.jpg

4630626276_a5948df843.jpg

Still learning how to use this thing. My homemade pop-up flash extender/diffuser isn't working as well as I hoped. Good fun though...

Here are a few with my Panasonic FZ35 and DCR-250...

Still learning how to use this thing. My homemade pop-up flash extender/diffuser isn't working as well as I hoped. Good fun though...

These are really nice - any pics/details of the homemade diffuser? Been thinking of trying to make something like that.

Some great images there guys!

One thing that I notice is that the DOF seems pretty good - certainly better than my Sigma 50mm macro. In fact the frustration of extremely limited DOF using it has put me off macro photography.
So, would the Raynox give me more DOF to play with?

Cheers
Gary

Thanks Dean. :)

To be honest Gary - I've found the same problem with the Raynox - not sure how people are managing to achieve good DOF with it and I'm looking into using a dedicated macro lens as I thought that might be better :bang:

Last edited:
The DoF with the Raynox 250 is about 2mm when I use full zoom on my FZ35 (about 465mm I think).

To get more DoF in my pictures I had to focus stack about four to six shots using CombineZP freeware. It's pretty easy to do... Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can dig up a very good tutorial I found somewhere.

From what I have read, when you get to these magnifications, all macro lenses have a very small DoF. The DCR-150 has a larger DoF, but with less magnification. I am still trying for those fly's eyes photos, but it's winter here and all the insects are gone...

Here's a couple of mine... 55-250 and the DCR250

IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

And to get away from Jurassic Park :D..

IMG_3402.jpg

To get more DoF in my pictures I had to focus stack about four to six shots using CombineZP freeware. It's pretty easy to do... Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can dig up a very good tutorial I found somewhere.

Ok, so I've heard of focus stacking, but not tried it yet.

What I dont understand is how you capture multiple images (obviously each with a slight adjustment on focus). Surely the subject needs to be completely still - something that I cant see being possible when shooting bugs or even flowers as the slightese breeze is going to move the position within the frame.

Or maybe the stacking software sorts that out as well?

If you can find the tutorial it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Gary

Ant, those hoverfly shots, they are stunning, I can never get close enough to get anything like that.

Ant, those hoverfly shots, they are stunning, I can never get close enough to get anything like that.

Thanks John, Scott and Cobra, that's very kind :)

I have to say I'm honestly amazed at the quality of the shots that are being shown here, your own included John. They've inspired me to try harder :)

Scott the Raynox D250 costs less than £40 and as you can see from the likes of Johns, Deans (Cheeseboys, cracking stuff mate) Albys and Carls, it's a viable cheap introductery lens for macro.

Thanks for all the great piccies :)

Keep em coming please.

One from this morning, an upside down cinnabar moth, in the garden.

IMG_8732.jpg

Scott the Raynox D250 costs less than £40 and as you can see from the likes of Johns, Deans (Cheeseboys, cracking stuff mate) Albys and Carls, it's a viable cheap introductery lens for macro.

(y) I've been looking at them on Amazon, and in various other places. My camera is away for repair at the moment though, so I haven't taken the plunge just yet.

If your keen to get one Scott, I wouldn't wait if I were you. I got mine from ebay, about 18 odd months ago for £30... now they are nearer £60...

They're £39 on Amazon right now, and I'm getting £35 tomorrow from the sale of a camera bag on here. Guess I know where that money's going now.

They are all great shots, by the way. (y) I just singled out the hovers because they're such awkward moving targets. :)

Not wanting to get off topic, bur Grum asked for details of my diffuser/extender that I use with the Raynox.

I made a mockup with normal paper then when I was happy with the design, I opened it up and traced it onto black cardboard. I then glued aluminium foil to the inside and folded it up to the final shape. The tab on the back slips under the pop up flash. The velcro tie stapled to the bottom of the diffuser wraps around the lens barrel to lock the whole thing in place. I normall have a paper towel or something taped to the front to diffuse the light, but I took this off for the photos to show the inside more.

It works well enough getting the flash down to the front of the lens and can be modified easily.

4687650664_444f7a20fd.jpg

4687650156_b18546b4c9.jpg

4687649660_91ac7c4b7d.jpg

Not off topic at all Dean, thanks for taking the time to post your setup, very useful :)

Just realised I never actually posted any of mine. :)

Taken with a G1 and 45-200mm lens

Some fantastic shots there Graham :)

A few of mine...

Fuji S9600 & DCR-250
img03.jpg

img05.jpg

Panasonic G1 14-45 & DCR-250 (need a longer lens)
img03.jpg

Some more cracking shots from Mike (Fred), Dave and Daniel :)

Thanks for posting them.

Seeing the range of cameras and lenses that are being used with the D250, giving some fantastic results, has been a real eye opener for me :)

Looking forward to seeing your shots Scott :)

I noticed this on the way out, so went back and grabbed the camera.

This with D250 and the 55-250mm at 55mm 1/250s F22 ISO 400

IMG_9372.jpg

And this the same except at 100MM

IMG_9367.jpg

A couple more, of the inside of a hard drive

IMG_4520-Version2.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

Both at 194mm, so a little bit under 2x

ordered one too so expect to see lots of bad macro pics on this forum soon ;)

does anyone use this with a 50mm? it seems to be the only lens i have that it will fit on!

Back