Your thoughts please

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I keep looking at this lens, the Nikon 135mm f/2D f2 D AF DC, all the write ups seem to think this is the dogs dangly bits when it comes to portrait lenes.

I am looking at two of them on fleabay but I just cant justifiy paying nearly a grand for a lens as I am an ameture who does not do this for a living, and Im not sure what other use I will get from it.

Also is the de-focusing ring a gimmic or is it a genuin step forward in Bokeh, it looks a loverly lens, but Im just trying to justfiy the money side of it.

Tony,

Only just seen this.

The write ups are correct and the lens is unimpeachable…..a Beautiful Pro level lens with a very credible performance and truly so sharp you could cut yourself on it. The DC control is really interesting to use once you get used to it.

Top marks undoubtedly.

Rockwell described it as the greatest portrait lens in the World…..not kidding

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/135mm-f2-dc.htm

Last edited:

I had one… and did let it go.

My reason was, though it is a cool piece of glass, its
performances are not appreciated even… by ADs.

I was of the opinion that if I don't get tangible benefits
for my client or his agency, better look for something
else… for that money.

If you get it used, fine but get ready to be underwhelmed.

Last edited:
I'm sure Tony is thrilled to have an answer to his question 7 years after he asked it ;)

So much so that he hasn't been around these parts for a while - he gave up waiting for an answer and stormed out 14 months ago! :runaway:

I hate to say it guys, we’re about 7 years too late!

I never paid attention to the post's date… quite embarrassing! :coat:

Me either normally! I was nearly replying myself as I have an interest in the 135 too :LOL: it was only when he mentioned it being about £1000 my spidy sense was tingling because they can be had s/h much cheaper now :)

Better late than never!

much cheaper now

If one want to play with it, it is fine… but, at pro level,
to justify it though benefits for the client, it doesn't go. :cool:

I was going to mention the Sigma 135mm 1.8 but would have needed a crystal ball to recommend that one to the OP.

I guess it'll be a bit cheaper now too, so he may have had time to save up for it :exit:

Last edited:
That's why I can't find the E-bay listing!

Back