Radiohead - OK Computer

Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites

Prodigy - Fat Of The Land

1. Use Your Illusion 1&2: Guns and Roses

2. Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water: Limp Bizkit

3. Lest We Forget, The Best Of: Marilyn Manson

4. Infest: Papa Roach

5. Fallen: Evanescence

I have to agree with Janice about November Rain, 8mins 45secs of pure genius.

1. Black Sabbath - Sabotage

2. Led Zep - Led Zep 2

3. Slayer - Reign in blood

4. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a madman

5. Yes - Drama

In no particular order:-

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

Del Amitri - Twisted

Stereophonics - Performance & cocktails

Bread - Sound of Bread

Iron Maiden - Live after death

David Gray - White ladder

Favourite singles:-

Muddy Waters - Mannish boy

Snow Patrol - Chasing cars/Run

Stereophonics - Stopped to fill my car up

Animals - House of the rising sun

Joy Division - Love will tear us apart

The more I see of other peoples choices...the more brilliant songs I remember!

As ever this list would vary depending on the day Im having - but for today I would pick these :D

Therapy? - Troublegum

Radiohead - OK Computer

Metallica - (black album)

Queen - Queen

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

i wrote some lovely long explenations then my pc crashed so heres the titles

Ben Folds Live - Ben Folds - amazing live album by such an amazing singer/songwriter/pianist

Figure8 - Elliott Smith - amazingly emotional songs, such a sad loss to the music world

Automatic for the people - R.E.M - their finest work, one that always bucks my mood and reminds me of people/places and times gone by.

America Town - Five For Fighting - My little secret, such a good cd that no one has ever heard of

(What the Story) Morning Glory - Oasis - still a cd to play loud and proud and sing along.

singles -

Another Girl Another Planet - The Only Ones - favourite song of all time, both me and my sister picked it as our favourite off a punk cd my dad bought as a kid, i just adore it, it could be written about me. the rest of their stuff is ***** though. FACT!

Brick - Ben Folds Five - the first time i heard this song i fell in love with it, so emotional, i only found out what it was about 5 years afterwards, so emotional

Mr Jones - Counting Crows - this song just seems to fit my life perfectly, i love it, bucks my mood every time

Two More Years - Bloc Party - 100mph down the motorway with the stereo at the point of breaking up and you'll realise why i love this song, and furthermore the whole album is a gem.

Keep On Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young - just a beautiful record that crosses the line of damn good music and an interesting story in the background, remonds me why music is so good.

Time to lower the tone I feel... especially as Baccara's 'Yes Sir I can Boogie' is playing right now.

Top 5 today are:

1. Aven en Blomma - Frida

2. Pictures (album) - Caliko

3. Adios Adayer - Jose Padila (Cafe del Mar)

4. Tightrope - KYLEEEE!

5. Lean on me - Red Box

But it depends what mood I'm in, really...

1)100 meters dash
2)egg and spoon race
3)high jump
4)sack race
5)three legged race
sorry, thinks me read that wrong.

hunky dory, bowie
bat out of hell, meatloaf
kick inside, kate bush
gordon, bare naked ladies
abba gold, abba.

Red Box a very underrated band!!! The Circle and the Square is a top album!!!

The CD version last went on Ebay for about £125 because the record company will not reissue it. But of course, it's wrong to download it illegally, even if there is no legal means to do so. Don't get me started! :annoyed:

Hmm... I'm not really sure I can put 5 as being my absolute favourites, but these are never too far from my ears.

In no particular order:

Turbulent Indigo - Joni Mitchell

Aja - Steely Dan

Hourglass - James Taylor

Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles

Ten Summoners Tales - Sting

Paul

1 Rainbow "Rising"
Whole band were at their peak, Blackmore and Dio were a great combination and the drumming of Cozy completed the classic sound. From the intro of Tarot Woman to Stargazer and Light In The Black, epic tracks never bettered in my opinion.

2 Wishbone Ash "Argus"
Twin lead guitars have never sounded better especially on The King Will Come and Lay Down The Sword, as good today as it ever was

3 Scorpions "Tokyo Tapes"
My favourite live album, captures the band interacting with the crowd perfectly backed up with some great tracks especially We'll Burn the Sky, saw them at Reading in 79 and they were great

4 Black Sabbath "Heaven and Hell"
Another classic with Dio, some superb tracks and right up there with the best albums ever made, "Mob Rules and "Dehumanizer" never captured the brilliance of H and H, but good just the same

5 Big Country "The Crossing"
Bit surprising probably given my other choices, but a totally unique sound and some memorable tracks and intros. How they were never bigger than the very mediocre U2 I will never know. Touring again very soon with Mike Peters on vocals and can't wait to hear that sound live again

Last edited:
Holy Diver - Dio
What can I say, THE voice of rock/heavy metal and still going strong. This album had everything you'd expect from RJD. Crashing riffs, excellent vocals and mystical songs

RJD died earlier this year, his last album with Heaven and Hell was a great way to end though

Last edited:
Every time I have responded to a thread like this my answer has always been different all I can say is that in my current mood these are my fav 5, this will change tomorrow but Dark Side of the Moon will still be there though.

Genesis – Foxtrot
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
Neil Young - Live Rust
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

RJD died earlier this year, his last album with Heaven and Hell was a great way to end though

tis a shame, but in case people were wondering, origional post was in 2007, so the origional poster did not have there facts wrong at the time.

Good to be up to date though...

Any five albums by Pink Floyd, or alternatively...in no particular order...

Dire Straits - Love over Gold
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Chris Rea - Road to Hell
Peter Gabriel - US
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

Janes Addiction-Ritual de lo Habitual
Radiohead-OK Computer
Pearl Jam-Ten
The House of Love-Butterfly Album
The Chameleons-Script of the Bridge

Wow...erm....ok

1) Tool - Aenema
2) A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
3) Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals
4) Tool - Lateralus
5) City and Colour - Bring me your Love

Well, this is gonna be embarrasing... According to iTunes which I can't argue with to be honest as it's pretty accurate...

1. Celine Dion - Lovin' Proof [The Colour of My Love]
2. Jackson Brown - In The Shape of a Heart [The Next Voice You Hear, Best of]
3. Bryan Ferry / Roxy Music - Slave to Love [Bryan Ferry]
4. Belinda Carlisle - Mad About You [Belinda]
5. Paul Young feat. Zucchero - Senza Una Donna (Without A Woman) [From Time To Time, Singles Collection]

Wow, I really must've had too much JD if I post this. :exit:

Honestly though, I have a very varied taste in music... i.e. No. 6 is Meat Loaf - Rock n' Roll Dreams Come True. Won't tell you what 7 is though! :eek:

Last edited:
Genesis................Foxtrot.

ELP.....................Welcome back my friends (live)

Pink Floyd.............Pulse

Yes.....................Close to the Edge

Genesis................The Lamb lies down

My Top 5 ...

1) Jethro Tull - My God

2) Jethro Tull - Cold wind to Valhalla

3) Rolling Stones - Angie

4) The Faces - Stay with me

5) Black Sabbath - The Wizard

really hard to say to be honest, like Marty I have possibly some of the most bizarre music tastes ever. In fact, when I was in HMV last I picked up a Tears for Fears CD and a Pantera CD, and even the guy behind the counter was surprised as they are two quite different genres.

I rate pretty much anything by Tears for Fears so to be honest my top 5 are probably mostly or all Tears for Fears.

Fish Out of Water
Mr Pessimist
Don't Drink the Water
Mad World
Shout

In no particular order....

Leftfield - Leftism
The album that totally changed my views on dance music when I was in my early teens. My brother was going to raves in the early 90s and I used to listen to tapes of raves that were amazing but so badly recorded and produced. One day he came home with this, I instantly put it onto a C90 and my walkman was on overdrive listening to it. Production is immense, variety of tracks is brilliant and it contains Song Of Life, proper spaced-out dance music. Still gets played a lot these days and although Rhythm & Stealth was a great follow up, this was just something else.

Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Really fell out of love with hard rock and metal over the last few years because I couldn't get into the whole EMO thing that was taking over rock. However, I liked Creed a lot and after reading up on Creed's split, found Alter Bridge. This album is probably played in full at least half a dozen times each week while I'm driving to jobs and from start to finish, it's a fantastic illustration of how rock music can be contemporary yet feed off past influences. The singer's voice is cracking, the guitars are so, so good and each song has a real oomph that I haven't felt since Machinehead's debut came out.

Justice - Cross
I loved Daft Punk's Discovery - a fine example of what euro samplers can do to create serious music in the dance genre - but when I heard this I was blown away; mental sounds, mashed up samples that are so hard to tell where they originated from, and a real serious feel to the album, as if it was created to be a soundtrack to a moment in time. Waters Of Nazareth is probably my fave tune on this LP for the simple reason that when it's played loud in a club (I sneaked it into a session on one of my club nights), it's a tune that totally arrests people and has an amazing driving beat that is hard to ignore.

Beck - Midnite Vultures
Beck at his bonkers best doing his best to 'out-Prince' Prince!! Crazy lyrics that make no sense whatsoever but are brilliant nonetheless, and the best making out song ever written (Deborah). Just brilliant.

Brad - Interiors
The 'sleeper' of my list. Picked this up in a CD sale at the local library on the strength of a sticker on the front that said Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam was part of the band. This is nothing like Pearl Jam or any of the Seattle scene and although I dearly love PJ's Ten and Soundgarden's Superunknown, this album is so good it's one that I would have to take with me if I were stranded on a desert island. It's smooth, sexy, soulful, gritty, epic, tender.

If it was a top 10 then these would have to make it in for me:

Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
The Moody Blues - On a Threshold Of A Dream[/B]
REM - Automatic For The People

Off the top of my head, and subject to change...

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

The Verve - A Northern Soul

Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlement We Are Floating in Space

And another 5, as this is too difficult:

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Supergrass - In It For The Money

Doves - Kingdom of Rust

Mogwai - Young Team

I could go on...:D

1 - Physical graffiti - Led Zeppelin
Something for almost every taste on this album, one I would never want to be without.

2 - Aladdin sane - David Bowie
My youth in one album, the opening chords of any song can transport me back to being a 15 yr old

3 - Five leaves left - Nick Drake
The ultimate chill out, works better than horlicks or valium

4 - Firing on all six - Lonestar
They only produced two albums in the 70's but they made a huge impact on me, I couldn't go without access to the "bells of Berlin"

5 - Contraband - Velvet Revolver
This is my all time fav' play along album,I worked out every track within a day, lead & rhythm. Nothing for me beat plugging in the Les Paul, cranking up the amp and letting rip to slither or superhuman, both have a really sleazy swagger to them that leaves me feeling dirty and naughty ;).

These will not be everyone's cup of tea ;)

1=) Ricochet - Tangerine Dream
Mixed from live recordings, back when they improvised and every night on a tour was different. One is forced to wonder if as they turned of the synths at Croydon Fairfield halls in 1975 they walked off stage and thought "just another day at the office then", not realising what they had created.

1=) Music for 18 Musicians - Steve Reich
One track, 56 minutes. I saw it performed live by the composer and musicians at the Carnegie Hall (yes, I flew to New York just for a gig) and it's just awesome.

3) Dr Who theme (original) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NPJ6GMXM3E )
Grainer's name is the famous one, but the genius is all Delia Derbyshire in this. Ethereal and other-worldly with no synthesizers on it, what TV audiences must have thought hearing it in 1963 I have no idea. The BBC should re-introduce it as the theme for the current Doctor.

4) Rumour and Sigh - Richard Thompson
I want to pick everything he's ever released, but this one has "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" on it.

5) Acturus - Arc
Sequencer mayhem with the IIIC dominating. It was either this or Siren by Redshift (saw them last month :D ).

And there are so many artists I've had to leave out with only five :(

1) Jethro Tull - My God

and the bloody Church of England,
in chains of mystery,
requests your earthly presence.
at the vicarage for tea

Love Ian Anderson's lyrics, that whole album is a masterpiece which is as relevant today as it was on release 40 years ago.

I need to add Deftones - Diamond eyes. Although White Pony was groundbreaking, Diamond Eyes is a mature and ........I don't know....maybe more serious album from them.

Loving the love for Ronnie Dio in this thread. :cool:

I can't possibly choose an all time top five but if I was heading off on a five CD drive right now, these would do very nicely.......

Fountains Of Wayne - Traffic and Weather

Imelda May - Mayhem

James McMurtry and the Heartless B'strds - Live in Aught Three

Ludovico Einaudi - Divenire

David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk

Too tricky. I'll pick five now and a different five tomorrow - or even 30 seconds after I've posted these...

Anyway and in no particular order:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The Clash - London Calling
Muse - Absolution
Arcade Fire - Funeral
David Bowie - Low

1. Joe Satriani = Surfing with the alien

2. AC/DC = Let there be rock

3. AC/DC = Highway to hell

4. AC/DC = Back in black

5. Guns n Roses = Appetite for Destruction

Yes im a bit of an AC/DC nut