Your Tripod Mount Preference

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Sky

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a mix of RC2 and Arca Plate tripods and heads and so far I favour the 'quick click' of the Manfrotto system.

Although I don't dislike the Arca system I don't think it's as good as RC2.

Out of curiosity - what's your preference?

Please click the poll to save me counting the replies - thanks. :D

Last edited:
RC2, purely because I had several heads and plates in that system before I was aware of the Arca system. TBH, after playing with the Arca system, I still prefer the RC2, although I can see that the Arca might be better in some situations.

Reactions: Sky
Arca Swiss for me, with RRS Lever Clamp mounts.

GC

I find RC2 very clunky, oversized and never sure how secure it is.
Saw someone have a camera fall off because the badly designed clamp didn't lock properly

Can't go wrong with a screw up Arca clamp and plate

Another vote for arca

RC2 here.
I'm not that familiar with the Arca system, but from what I can see, the Arca system seems more secure, whereas the RC2 system seems quicker.

The older style head I have has a tension adjustment and a small locking lever so that the camera cannot accidentally become unlatched....the newer head I have has neither which was disappointing, and I've also found that some of my QR plates fit better than others, and yet they're all genuine Manfrotto.

A mix for me. I have a couple of manfrotto plates with Arca clamps on top.. so that I can use L brackets on my cameras. With out bothering to remove them.

Hmm . . . it's looking like the Arca is a clear winner thus far - I must admit I'm quite surprised at this.

Thank you all for your input so far, please keep them coming. (y)

Arca with a RRS lever release.

I do dislike that Arca copies can't properly keep to the spec so there's lots of slightly different sizes but the RRS lever seems to cope with them well unlike the Arca flip lock which you have to adjust (my condolences to anyone who's loosened one too much in the field).

I too have a large investment in the Manfrotto system, along with the 410 geared head.
I like the fact you can mount the camera single handed and as soon as the catch clicks, it's securely locked in place.
The other system appears to need both hands, one to hold the camera and the other to tighten up the clamp, which seeems unreasonably clumsy.
If someone's camera has fallen off the Manfrotto mount then it couldn't have been fitted properly, I can't see how that can happen otherwise.

I like the fact you can mount the camera single handed and as soon as the catch clicks, it's securely locked in place.
The other system appears to need both hands, one to hold the camera and the other to tighten up the clamp, which seeems unreasonably clumsy.

These are just the reasons I prefer to use the RC2 if I can.

TBH I'm surprised at the ratio that's evident so far - I thought it would be the other way round.

I too have a large investment in the Manfrotto system, along with the 410 geared head.
If someone's camera has fallen off the Manfrotto mount then it couldn't have been fitted properly, I can't see how that can happen otherwise.
I witnessed the problem, can't remember exactly what it was. The two people I was with, both TP members had the same ball head. They both identified the same issue, so it did happen. Think it was the newer X-Pro model, possibly the BHQ6

Last edited:
I used RC2 for a long time because I had Manfrotto tripods, I changed to ARCA Swiss type when I got my first camera specific L bracket was able to change the clamps on all the heads I had without any problems , now I much prefer the system.

When I first bought my Manfrotto head years ago, I didn't know that the QR plate was directional (at a glance, it looked symmetrical)... didn't think to look underneath at those little arrows!
I was often infuriated when sometimes it would lock securely, and sometimes it would be all wobbly!

Never had a camera fall off though, but I'm not a fan of the newer latching system on my XPRO ballhead...that bendy locking lever just doesn't seem as secure as my older hinge type lever pan-tilt head with the locking latch.

Also the big plate acts as an extra protective layer for the camera. They are admittedly not very ergonomic for gripped or 1d style bodies. But then any plate makes life difficult on the grip.

The advantage of Arca Swiss plate is that a lot of things have the mount built into, brackets, tripod collar, grips etc. But strangely I find them not universally compatible, like on the Gitzo has this "knob" sticking out that blocks my Lim's leather grip to be mounted on directly.

I think this is one of those "no win" debates, in which nobody benefits and there is no outcome.
I think that if you have chosen the Manfrotto system you are commited to using what they provide, although matters are not simplified by them offering several different types of QR system. I use the 410 geared head which uses the RC4 QR plate, on which I based my previous comments. I'm aware that Hejinar offer an Arca conversion for this head, but it costs nearly as much as the head itself, plus I cannot see what advantage it offers.
If you use another brand of head, it's easier to select a different type of QR, although, as has been pointed out, one of the drawbacks of the Arca Swiss mount is that it is far from "standard" depending on the manufacturer chosen.
At the end of the day "You pays your money and makes your choice."

I think this is one of those "no win" debates, in which nobody benefits and there is no outcome.
I think that if you have chosen the Manfrotto system you are commited to using what they provide, although matters are not simplified by them offering several different types of QR system. I use the 410 geared head which uses the RC4 QR plate, on which I based my previous comments. I'm aware that Hejinar offer an Arca conversion for this head, but it costs nearly as much as the head itself, plus I cannot see what advantage it offers.
If you use another brand of head, it's easier to select a different type of QR, although, as has been pointed out, one of the drawbacks of the Arca Swiss mount is that it is far from "standard" depending on the manufacturer chosen.
At the end of the day "You pays your money and makes your choice."

I don't think its about win or lose, it's just preference.

There is no written standard for the Arca Swiss mount.
However there is a very precise standard for the similar NATO mount used on some photo devices. Made by Smallrig and others.
It is slightly smaller but much stronger and extremely accurate and positive. I would like to see it fitted as part of the base of every camera. It was designed to fix sights to NATO weapons. So always remounts in exactly the same position.

Arca for me too.
I have loads of bits from different suppliers & while the sizes vary they do all work. It just needs a lot of adjusting if going from a wide variant to a narrow one...

I have met one lens foot that I'd assumed to be Aria compatible only to find it slightly too wide for any of the half dozen clamps I tried it in. I'm occasionally tempted to file it down to fit!

Arca for me too.
I have loads of bits from different suppliers & while the sizes vary they do all work. It just needs a lot of adjusting if going from a wide variant to a narrow one...

I have met one lens foot that I'd assumed to be Aria compatible only to find it slightly too wide for any of the half dozen clamps I tried it in. I'm occasionally tempted to file it down to fit!
That wold seem to be the obvious thing to do.

Arca for me, RC2 never seemed at all secure. That said, I have come across Arca fit stuff from different manufacturers that doesn't fit together

Arca for me, RC2 never seemed at all secure. That said, I have come across Arca fit stuff from different manufacturers that doesn't fit together

I have seen that you can get some third party replacement arca swiss type lens mounts to fit many lenses.

I have seen that you can get some third party replacement arca swiss type lens mounts to fit many lenses.

Yep, the plates work very well to convert a lens foot to Arca. Not cheap, but the Wimberley ones work very well as the bump stops stop the plate twisting and working loose

If it isn't Arca compatible I won't use it = end of!

It is just a better (more secure) system, maybe not always the most convenient - but strong and rigid.

I use a gitzo carbon fibre tripod with a lensmaster gimbal, light and strong enough for the kit I use, I have also bought a different lens foot for my 400mm DO MK2 to better attach it to the gimbal, this also comes in handy to handhold it with

Last edited:
A major advantage of Arca/Swiss plates is the huge variety of them. I can buy a nice small one to suit my X30 or a large one (or an L-bracket) to suit my A7R III and everything in between. With Manfrotto's RC2 it's just the PL200 plate whether it's suitable or not.

Thanks for your comments everyone, from the (sadly very low number) poll; obviously the AP is preferred.

I would have liked at least 100 participants in the poll, but that's forums for you.

No issue with my 15 year old manfrotto 488RC2. Works fine with my RZ67 + 75mm shift lens which is a 4.5Kg combo. (same weight as an 800mm f5.6, about 1Kg lighter than a 600 f4) Once it is fitted, the locking lever underneath the mounting plate prevents accidental release.

Personally hate arca swiss plates as they are just too damn fiddly when I've got cold fingers. The one tripod we have that came with an arca head has a manfrotto adaptor plate fitted so we can use RC2 plates on it without changing the head. (before these new dual compatibility plates existed)

Thanks for your comments everyone, from the (sadly very low number) poll; obviously the AP is preferred.

I would have liked at least 100 participants in the poll, but that's forums for you.

You don't need 100+ votes - just try an RC2 and then try a cheap ripoff copy if the Arca Swiss QR system. You will immediately discover that even the "El Cheapo" Arca copies are vastly superior to the RC2 QR system.

I wasted money on the RC2 mount before I knew better, don't do what I did!

Just swapped over the RC2 clamp on a Manfrotto head that came with my Befree GT carbon tripod
Head isn't bad at all, one of the new design with the friction control dial integral to the locking wheel
The clamp is another matter, comes with the new plate that is Arca compatible, even they have realised what most prefer
Easy to change with the little boss and a suitable Arca clamp, all done in a couple of minutes

Back