you're invited.....but bring your camera....

Name
Nattelie
Edit My Images
Yes
Yup....it's happened again... "oh you're invited.... make sure you bring your camera!"

I warned said person multiple times that I cannot get the pics that she wants, irrelevent of my capabilities, I don't have the equipment and I will have my 6 month old daughter with me, who is very "mummy orientated" then factor in my disability.... however she won't have it. Even to the point of me saying "she won't settle for anyone else atm" and she replies "oh she'll settle for me, I'll take her for a bit and you can get the pictures" ...erm....no.... no one is taking my daughter away from me and demanding that I "work" (for free btw) for them. I mean....really???? I have even recommended a local tog!

*steps down from soap box*

If I do go, yeah, I'll take my camera, but no way am I prioritising images over my daughter! They'll get what I get, and they'll go on facebook.

Last edited:
Musicians get the same thing. "Come to my party... and bring your guitar".

Steve.

Tell em to F*** off. They usually get the message.

I take it you are invited to a wedding...?

Take camera but leave memory cards at home.

No seriously, just tell them you are there to enjoy the day,

No, a christening.... just as bad tbh! Yup, musos get exactly the same.

It's so frustrating and I feel almost oblidged.... almost... :rofl:

I'm gonna take the camera with the nifty fifty, no spare batteries or cards though, I'm just getting the pics I would get anyway - not putting myself out and ceratinly not to the detriment of my daughter! She even suggested I ask my parents to come also, without an invite, to look after my daughter while I take photos.... erm...no thank you!

Ahhh... and breathe! LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy for them to have copies of digital images of anything I get and process....but that's it.

Seriously ladies n gents, when this has happened to you....what did you do?

My thoughts on this would be

Do you REALLY want to HAVE pics of her christening?? ok take your camera but for what reason, for you to practice in a low light situation?? Plus are you really going to be happy trying to take pics of said christening when trying to look after your little one, when you get home and find your self saying "could have done better there or that angle could have been better" so you bring yourself down as just taking snaps.

I say just go to the christening and just not take the camera, enjoy the day, I take this person is not a close friend or family so why shoudl you do something you are not happy doing.

Just my 2 cents

Spike

This is what I did:

"Hi Andy - Oh you haven't brought your camera" - face starting to look grumpy;)

"No, sorry about that, the battery is dead as a dodo - still the important thing is, we are here - where's the food and the bar?"

Simples:)

Strange..... was normally the other way around for me.....
"Mike... I've not sent you an invite to my wedding..... I wanted to talk to you about it first..... yeah..... I want you to be Best-Man"
Really! Wow!
"Don't be too honoured.... it was the only way I could think of to get you out from behind that chuffing camera!"
(I took the minox!)

Turn up. Leave the camera at home. Deny all knowledge that they harassed you about it claiming that true friends/decent relatives would never dream of being so selfish ;) If they go off in a huff then you're better off without them.

If you've already said no, then they only have themselves to blame. Sometimes you have to put your foot down with people or they'll just walk all over you.

i would just pull a oh sorry cant make it i have a paid shoot that day lol

Like everyone else said, turn up, take no camera, maybe a p&s camera, but more importantly, enjoy the day.

Of course the other tack would be to arrive equipped with full lighting rig, a generator, two assistants, a loud-hailer, a couple of big step ladders and a full shooting script.

"Right, I reckon this will take about six hours. OK, for a rehearsal first, please..." :naughty:

Here's a different idea...
Now's the time to play with old technology - I'm sure there are plenty of cheap Minolta film bodies available... One of them and a 24 exposure roll of film and just hand over the exposed roll at the end of the day!

Musicians get the same thing. "Come to my party... and bring your guitar".

Steve.

I get musicians asking me to go to their gigs all the time, but "bring your camera" - I do it now and then because I get free into the events, and I make no promises. "Sure I'll come, with my camera, but if you want the shots you'll be coughing up!" ;)

Now's the time to play with old technology - I'm sure there are plenty of cheap Minolta film bodies available... One of them and a 24 exposure roll of film and just hand over the exposed roll at the end of the day!

That's a brilliantly devious idea :D

Everyone comes down with a cold the day before so you can't go? Done it myself many times.

I take my camera to parties or events I would like to take photos at, otherwise I just don't bother. A gripped D700+flash is far too heavy to carry around and enjoy the party.

Most of my friends know not to ask though, and if they do they offer to pay. I then decide if it's free, mates rates or full rate :)

No, a christening.... just as bad tbh! Yup, musos get exactly the same.

It's so frustrating and I feel almost oblidged.... almost... :rofl:

I'm gonna take the camera with the nifty fifty, no spare batteries or cards though, I'm just getting the pics I would get anyway - not putting myself out and ceratinly not to the detriment of my daughter! She even suggested I ask my parents to come also, without an invite, to look after my daughter while I take photos.... erm...no thank you!

Ahhh... and breathe! LOL

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy for them to have copies of digital images of anything I get and process....but that's it.

I'm afraid I'd have said sorry, either I'm liked enough to come as a guest or I won't be comming at all. It's one thing to ask nicely but that sounds like she's taking the p### to me, as someone else said take a really cheap compact and make a point of showing it to her when you arrive.

Love this. Going to use this next time I'm asked :LOL:

Loving the idea of taking the film camera....not as if I don't have any film lying around either, hehe - just to add it into the mix, I could set it to "A for AWESOME!!!" tee hee!

Ah...just sick of people having a lend of me and in truth, yeah, I'd like a handful of shots for myself (cause I'm like that) but that's all - and hubby doesn't do churches anyway...

I'd like to go....but not as a tog!

People....*rolls eyes*

Thinking back I've been in this situation twice already... one I went and was never spoken to again after the goods were handed over (not the first set, the full proper set of larger prints as well as 6x4s of everything and discs of FB size and full res) and the other I flat out refused to do. I'm no more of a photographer than I am a football player....so why do people assume that cause I have a black box that I can use to make pretty pictures, that I'm the next Annie Leibovitz when I can barely get a straight horizon? LOL I just do it for fun, cause I love it!

I've been asked to do this at two family weddings, one past, one pending.

The past one I simple said that of course I would take photo's but only in addition to the wedding photographer you have hired.

In the end it turned out ok, I learnt a lot. Mainly that I could never be a wedding photographer! I was very careful to keep out of his way and not use fill flash (to avoid distracting the guests from him), after all it was his paying gig. In the end, I got some decent shots but they were mostly benefiting from his set-ups. Rather amusingly, some of the guests said he was a bit rude and bossy afterwards, I tried to explain to them that he was just being firm because he was being paid to get the shots and that he was working against a rapidly setting sun. I can imagine the family fall-outs that would have occurred had I been the main photographer....

The pending wedding I have still to address, events have delayed it. If they won't hire a proper wedding photographer I will refuse to take my camera though. I'm not afraid of a challenge but I know my limitations and want to enjoy the day as a guest.

I like this idea. It saves them the effort of having to add some trendy "vintage film" effect to them too. However....

Minolta bodies going cheap - yes.

Minolta lenses that fit on Sonys going cheap? Nope.

Canon FD or M42 is probably your best bet.

Suz (and others), I am both brilliant and devious!

HMansfield, I checked to see what system Nattelie used before suggesting Minolta - she's a Sony user so her existing lenses will work on an old Minolta film body.

Last edited:
Why not just say "No.. I'm not bringing a camera" and leave it at that. Stop letting people bully you.

I used to get that a lot. When I was young and innocent I'd rush back home and get my camera because as I didn't have it I was "letting everyone down."

Then one day I rushed home and thought "**** it! It's a nice day, I'll go to the beach and to hell with them."

Now when I get invited to a wedding, especially if it's people that I don't know to well (being invited to the church service of a causal work colleague when everyone else is invited to the reception) I always ask if they want photos. If the answer is yes I make it clear I won't be doing them. If I'm invited as a guest then that's what I'll be and I'll make certain I'm in no condition to use a camera :)

Shoot every photo out of focus.
You'll not be asked again and they will have learned a very important life lesson.

Back in the days when I did film, I told my cousin my camera could only do black and white :)

i have 2 cameras for these situations.

someone asks me to come and "bring your camera" i generally pack my small samsung 14mp point and shoot. im not the personal photographer

someone asks me to come and "take some photographs for them" then i take my slr with me. I would rather someone asked me out from to take photographs for them to use but the backhanded comment of "bring your camera" does my head in

I've had this on a small scale. I am trying to figure out what to do about it too. I was asked in front of people if I would 'do the photos'. Since getting an ambushed yes, I am now feeling somewhat used as we haven\t seen her for ages and she makes no effort to stay in touch. ah well... there it is.

Back