youtube videos on photography

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been following the "experts" on youtube up until today. I now think they are more aimed at professional photographers, On has just bought a £25,000 computer for his photographic work. Cameras being discussed now in the region of £3,000 up, well out of the average hobby photographer, so now I have unsubscribed for them all and do my own thing. it would be so refreshing if Joe Bloggs made some in a more realistic world

Since the early days of Thomas Heaton where he only had a couple of videos and no-one else was really doing it but Ben Horne, I wanted to make videos but my face is a fat idiot face. Well it was. My videos would just be normal trips etc because its nausiating the amount of photography videos where people are just doing it for gain. The worst thing is that you clearly know someones vocabulary isn't how they actually talk in the videos yet they seem to use these mad words no-one uses normally. Baffling. I've been thinking for a bit of trying it out. Maybe it would be a welcome change.

Last edited:
I used to do a lot of "budget" gear videos. Partly for the reason no one else was doing it, and also because I couldn't afford to keep buying expensive gear. They are a bit old hat now, but strangely my d3100 videos still get lots of views each month.

I used to do a lot of "budget" gear videos. Partly for the reason no one else was doing it, and also because I couldn't afford to keep buying expensive gear. They are a bit old hat now, but strangely my d3100 videos still get lots of views each month.
Any links?
It's ok, I found them.
The D3100 tutorial has 1.2m views.
Well done :)

Last edited:
For me a £3500 camera with a £12000 600mm lens is just pie in the sky but I do find that watching some of these videos I pick up tips and tricks to help along the way with my £1000 camera and £500 400mm used lens:canon:

Surely the answer is to watch the many videos by the ones interested in the art not the gear? Someone like Adam Gibbs is way more interesting than the Northrups or FroKnowsPhotos...

Surely the answer is to watch the many videos by the ones interested in the art not the gear? Someone like Adam Gibbs is way more interesting than the Northrups or FroKnowsPhotos...

Yes Adam Gibbs has by far the best channel out there in my opinion. His pictures are world class, he talks through his compositions in detail and he is extremely good at editing. I've learned more from him than any of the others (although I do watch most of them out there as I find it interesting).

Both Adam Gibbs and Simon Baxter are well worth watching in my view. Even bought Adams's latest book, which has some fantastic images.

I watch Manny Ortiz for some great ideas for posing/composition whilst out and about in relatively normal/accessible environments.
I also watch Morten Hilmer as I am supremely jealous of his work, commitment and passion for wildlife photography. For me - it's a pleasure to watch.
I can't understand why Peter McKinnon has so many views/subscribers - I don't mind him at all, but find a lot of his videos to be very basic and the output is pretty samey - the same could be said for Manny too!

I have been following the "experts" on youtube up until today. I now think they are more aimed at professional photographers, On has just bought a £25,000 computer for his photographic work. Cameras being discussed now in the region of £3,000 up, well out of the average hobby photographer, so now I have unsubscribed for them all and do my own thing. it would be so refreshing if Joe Bloggs made some in a more realistic world
I've found it better to assume those making videos for youtube are never 'experts' just users who may have tried something I haven't.

There's a lot of good stuff there but also a whole load of ****.
If someone's spending £2.5k on a computer they probably want it for advanced gaming & are hoping to claim it back against taxes. I can't see how £25k can be justified for anything less than corporate servers, or scientific supercomputers.

£3k on a camera is of no relevance to me now, but might be in 4+ years time when it might be approaching affordable on the second hand market. I've only once bought an interchangeable lens camera that's less than 2 years old & since the start of 2014 they've all been at least 4 years old.

I always like KaiW at DigitaRev, or used to if he's now left. :)

I'm quite new to Panasonic M43 and I'm quite new to Matti Sulanto, Lumix ambassador, not too fast, not too slow, kind of soothing. He can make a 10 min. video on the smallest cheapest Lumix kit lens, call it a gem. So it's not all about the expensive gear, and not all about the gear, it's about photography too. :)

I quite liked the DigitaRev stuff, but I see KaiW has just left.

More about equipment and larking about than compositions and technique, but enjoyable.

I'm quite new to Panasonic M43 and I'm quite new to Matti Sulanto, Lumix ambassador, not too fast, not too slow, kind of soothing. He can make a 10 min. video on the smallest cheapest Lumix kit lens, call it a gem. So it's not all about the expensive gear, and not all about the gear, it's about photography too. :)

Kai W has his own YouTube channel :)

£25K computer.

Must be one of these or similar but its kind of ridiculous, almost nobody has these types of machines.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fantonyleather%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2FOrionX_Side_open-1200x1200.jpg

I don't really follow gear (or tips) people in general. I'm not really interested in the latest, most expensive or most impressive.

Simon Baxter, Adam Gibbs, Scotland's Mountains (I think - Murray is the guys name) Thomas Heaton amongst others. I like people who include other things as well as the technical stuff. Vlogs that tell more of a story, document an adventure.

I think that I'll definitely give @pentaxpete's youtube videos a look even though I don't have any classic cameras..... at least I don't think so. Thanks for the pointer.

Personally I'm enjoying "The Monochrome Memoirs" for its direct no nonsense style, "James Popsys" for his get out there and go places approach, "Rico Richardson" for his guidance on Darktable and not to forget "Photography Online" which I find is a very promising video presentation of a photography magazine.

I'm no landscape photographer but I enjoy seeing old andy sheader on the tube. Anyone remember @posiview? We "worked" together on the TP52s for a number of years, and he taught me a thing or two. ;)

Last edited:
If anyone wants a laugh then watch 'The Angry Photographer' as he is a character:LOL:

Ken's alright:)

Although I've never shot animals (with a camera;)) one YouTube channel I do follow is Steve Perry's Backcountry Gallery, the other one I tend to watch is Rob Sambles Sports stuff.

GC

Ken's alright:)

Although I've never shot animals (with a camera;)) one YouTube channel I do follow is Steve Perry's Backcountry Gallery, the other one I tend to watch is Rob Sambles Sports stuff.

GC
Another vote for Steve Perry's Backcountry Gallery, I've been watching his videos the last week or so, really enjoyed them.

I have a channel and work as a photographer and find it hilarious the folk on YouTube who never actually shoot with the gear and even some pumping out multiple videos in one day... but then again they have their audience so fair play...

I tend to avoid most of them but there's some straight to the point and very decent channels out there, a few go to channels if I want to see some gear in use for example. I recently met Gordon from cameralabs and he was really down to earth and you can trust his reviews. I've met Kai too and though his videos are more entertainment than actual decent photography etc, he's a really nice guy in person too.

I'd recommend somebody like Mattias Burling for example if you want something super cool and honest.

One channel I like regarding m43 is micro four nerds, Emily is down to earth and has some good vids about some real bargain lenses with plenty of examples.

Any links?
It's ok, I found them.
The D3100 tutorial has 1.2m views.
Well done :)
Hahaha well done indeed, I went and looked. Was about to ask for the link but someone beat me too it. I had a YouTube channel, didn't get near that many views, but I loved my time spent there. Mime was ConaMooreDesigns.

Wasn't photography based though, it was when I was fiddling with photomanipulation

Is it fitted with a flux capacitor ?

Its just a big overclocked workstation with 2 systems inside it.

It has no practical use, like trying to drive a bugatti Veyron on a country road. All its power is wasted

Back