Yv's 52 - Week 9 - Play

Present, a stunning shot Yv, the background works excellently, and really brings to life the character in that Feather (it has to be said, well done Charlie on the skills in carving it).

People, simple and very effective, nicely done.

Just playing catch-up Yv but you've added some good ones during my hiatus. Some interesting interpretations, speed and present particularly. The feather shot is really good and I have to say I like the people shot as I've done the very same type of photo at weddings more than once.

Good people shot - I like :)

I remember once seeing a photo (I think was in the people and portraits section on here) where someone had togged a wedding, and had done a picture almost the same as that, but really tight in on the camera LCD - that's the only way I could think of improving your one... Really close on the LCD so the picture in that is the only part of the image in focus, with the rest all beautifully bokeh'd out!

:)

Thankyou to everyone for comments. I thought I might post this, taken same day, maybe 10 minutes later. Beth, my daughter with my old but much loved D70s and a nikon 70-300 cheapo lens. Less candid than the 'People' shot because I deliberately asked her to pose, but peraps more what I would have got in that one if I could have set it up, if that makes sense. [and no, I have NO idea HOW she managed to get the flash up :bonk: ]

4388681922_e47cd64e7c_o.jpg

Super 52 so far the last photo makes you feel like you are the person looking over the shoulder of your daughter draws you into the picture (y)

(y) Thanks Shaun

Just a quick note about 'Mechanical' - I have my shot planned but can't shoot it as it requires the use of a very specific car, which is currently in the 'shop undergoing some repairs and improvements but hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to carry out my plan - so a Joker call really, albeit a temporary one. I could use any car really, but it has to be this one to be really interesting (y)

Phew, well with 'Mechanical' still on the back-burner, 'Play' presented plenty of choice and options. I thought of something along the lines of a childs playground, viwed from low down, maybe against a dramatic sky with a wide angle, but limited time this week stymied that one. The OH had a couple of suggestions for witty still life images that would represent, or be a play on words of, stage plays, but nothing that really grabbed me. If thinks of something even better, an additional shot may be in order.

So, I had a go at a 'multi-exposure' - I have done one of these before, and its still not totally easy.

Anyway, I give you, Bethany, my Teen at play

4410993337_f704924fa3_o.jpg

I learnt something very important if you are doing these - you MUST have constant light! As you can see, the sun was shining, but it was in and out and even apparently totaaly in or totally out was was not the same. I ended up having to add in a flash, and that made matters worse when it came to the editing. So, either very good indoor artificial lighting or constant cloudy daylight seems the best option. So, forgive me my sins, I realise its not as good as some, but lessons learnt and next time will be better (y)

Yv, you learned the same lessons I did in trying to do one of these today, but you managed to pull it off. Okay, so the window light is blown out and the tv is close to as well, but it still works. Well done.

That is some serious air time :D, nicely put together. I'm glad it's photo shopped, I have just the one daughter and the sudden thought of 4 of them was :eek:.

I had a similar thought first of all, but then didn't think anyone would like to see the mess in my living room so put it on the back burner for now.

You've made a pretty good job of the PP although there is some haloing going on. The blown window doesn't bother me at all, wouldn't have the same effect with the curtains closed. I am a little worried the guitarist is going to land on the dog though :)

My first look at anyone for this week and already a :thumb:

Yv, you learned the same lessons I did in trying to do one of these today, but you managed to pull it off. Okay, so the window light is blown out and the tv is close to as well, but it still works. Well done.

I know, I had some lower exposures, but they looked oddly worse... :shrug: Will definately be giving this another go. I can see one being done with a kid in a playground, the hard part would be finding an otherwise empty playground.

That is some serious air time :D, nicely put together. I'm glad it's photo shopped, I have just the one daughter and the sudden thought of 4 of them was :eek:.

:LOL: Thanks Scott - I think she wants the guitar leap done as a separate image too.

I had a similar thought first of all, but then didn't think anyone would like to see the mess in my living room so put it on the back burner for now.

You've made a pretty good job of the PP although there is some haloing going on. The blown window doesn't bother me at all, wouldn't have the same effect with the curtains closed. I am a little worried the guitarist is going to land on the dog though :)

My first look at anyone for this week and already a :thumb:

Ach don't worry, the wee russell was safe really ;) Thankyou for the comment

I really like this image Yv, you have done really well putting this together with the ever changing light(y)
My favourite part of your image is your daughter with the dog standing on her
fantastic. A great take on the theme with humour too.

Iain

I love this, its so much fun, and you have such a neat and tidy living room:puke: my thee kids and a dog make it impossible to have anything less utter destruction:D

:)

Well done Yv, that's come out well... interesting lessons about the lighting... I feel sorry for the Bethany who decided to lay down with the dog under the leaping one with the guitar though... that's gonna hurt :LOL:

Bit of a catch up for me!

Present: Totally gorgeous - you've definitely done justice to a very beautiful and special present.

People: I agree you focused on the right person. It's 'fly on the wall' type of shot and you've nailed it beautifully - even if your main subject is going to end up with wonky verticals. :)

The later one of your daughter is also lovely and I like the idea of being able to see the live view in her camera screen.

Play: I sympathise with the lighting problems - I've never tried this sort of shot, but it sounds really difficult. I love all the different ways your daughter 'plays' - but my favourite is providing a cushion for the dog! :)

Jean

Hi Yv.

It's the second "people" shot for me.
Both are technically good and I think you've got the focus in just the right place on the first one - it's just that I'm not much into candid people photography.
It must be the control freak in me :LOL:
I much prefer the second one, where you've been able to "direct" the subject and get the best composition and combination of elements to make the image. I like this version a lot :clap:

Play : How much did you have to bribe Bethany for all those costume changes and poses?
However much it was, it was worth it - I really like these multiple exposure shots and you've done a great job on this one. I absolutely love the 4 different versions of playing - and the little details like the change of clothes really make it for me.

Sounds like the lighting was a bit of a nightmare, but you've pulled it back in editing. I would never have known that there was any difference in the light between the 4 shots . . . and even now that you've mentioned it I can't really see it. A brilliant bit of PP.

Personally, I don't mind the blown window highlights at all, I think they actually add something to the shot.
I am finding the TV a bit overly bright though. IMO darker images just seem to photograph better on TV screens . . . maybe you should have found her a gloomier game to play on, but that's me just being super fussy :LOL:

Looking forward to mechanical once it's all fallen into place.

Cool, I like that... it's worked a treat despite your issues. I can't seem to see reference to anyone saying the blown window is a problem, but since everyone else seems to be commenting on the fact it doesn't bother them, then I'll do the same... the blown window doesn't bother me. ;)

I think this is brilliant Yvonne.

You are lucky to have an active teenager! The only time ours moves at anything other than crawling speed is when she's late for the school bus. As for modelling for me in any kind of photo... Well let's just say it would only work if next weeks subject was "Scowl".

The photo itself is well done with the PP. The shadows all meld in to each other and there's no obvious problems. Considering the lighting difficulties, I think you've done a bang-on job.

The only tiny niggle is the arm of the chair in the bottom right corner. It's a little distracting. Minor thing though.

Glad that Mechanical was a bump, and that you're still going. Quite a few 52's dropped by the wayside already.

Ian.

Ian.

I can't believe I've not posted in here before :LOL:

I love your play shot, I've not done a multi exposure so I think I must give it a go soon. I think you've done really well here (y) There is a fair bit of highlight blown in the window, the arm in the lower left and as someone else has said the TV looks a little bright but the main bits are very good and overtake the minor things IMO

I smile at the guitar jump as it looks like she's about to jump on herself and the dog :LOL:

That multiple exposure is fab Yv. Forgetting the technical side - it's just a really cool, fun image and I suspect it typifies your daughter nicely. That's what it's all about folks.

(y)

Back