Yv's 52 - Week 9 - Play

Very clever and you have 'shopped it really well - it looks completely convincing! :clap:

Very clever Yv, the image is good, and the editing works well too.

What a lovely idea for chopped Yv. Your photoshopping skills needn't be questioned as I can't see the joins! I'd have been busy cutting shapes out with a knife and stuffing tomatoes inside lemons and making a right mess :) Great colours, just not quite sure about the positioning. I'd probably have the one on the left on the right and the one on the right flipped and on the left so they looked as if they'd fallen apart. Just IMHO :)

Many thanks again everyone, glad I managed something that it seems people like and want to have a go at. Yes, with hindsight I should probably have played with the composition more. Like I said in the original image post, it is a shot I will probably return to at some point and will look harder at how I actually position the fruits for a more pleasing composition.

So, ever onwards, week 4 is well under way and the theme of 'street' seemed to have caused much chagrin amongst some 52'ers. I live in London and have done plenty of 'street' togging, or what most people think of first when thinking of 'street' anyway - candids of people, often mono converted, doing what they do on the pavements and public highways of our fair land.
Now I could oh so easily have headed into town and done that kind of shot. I could have perhaps thought a bit more literally, stayed local and taken a shot of one the many streets of very pretty Edwardian Terrace houses here in North London. Trouble is, more than one thead appeared of people unsure of a definition or inspiration for the theme, so whilst answering one of those, an idea started to form and I announced publically and promised myself privately that I wasn't going to leave the house to do this, just to show that you don't need to take each theme for its 'immediate' interpretation. A little bit of thought, lateral thinking maybe, some vivid [some would say warped] imagination and you can do a theme, without a crowbar, with a few simple props.

Anyway, I am not a born Londoner, but like everyone else in the country, I grew up with Monopoly, with songs like Waterloo Sunset, Baker Street, etc and when I first came to London, felt like there was a lot of it I already knew despite never having seen it. There are streets in this city that everyone will have heard of and have never seen; cannot place on a map in relation to anywhere; would need a sat nav to find them, but they still sound oh so very familiar. I hope that I have used that in producing this, my take on STREET

I am afraid you will need to click on the picture to see a large version in which you will be able to see the individual parts that make up the whole ;)

Enjoy the streets of my [now] home town, they are not paved with gold but they are the ones I walk and photograph regularly. Maybe one day I will do a full monopoly board project ;)

I can't believe there are still 52 threads I haven't found and commented on yet!

Anyway...

I think the opener (Curves) was a great way to set the scene. Loved the backstory and the intro.

Poetry was a great shot, lovely colours and a simple statement well made.

Chopped made me smile, and it's another example of how many 52'ers seem to be able to think outside the box. Great PP skills, but the idea was even better.

And finally - Street. I think this is a really good interpretation, but I had to click on the link to see the large one. Once I did, it all became much clearer (obviously). Possibly there's a bit too much frame dominating the 7 images. It works as a smaller shot, but once you zoom in and see the quality of the map shots, you just want to see them in the small version too. I think this is by far your best effort so far. My humble opinion of course!!

Ian.

My initial thought was map as I was doing it with a macro sub-theme and I glad I didn't now as I couldn't compete with this idea. (y)

Great take on the theme, well you said you might not have to leave the house. :D

That's such a cool idea, Yv. Really well executed.(y)

WOW, yet another 52 I missed, there are just SO many.

Week 1: great shot, nice back story
Week 2: cool look, DOF and poem
Week 3: Excellent, Photochopped or not, good twist on the theme
Week 4: interesting take on the theme, not what I expected having seen the others; thats not a bad thing btw ;)

as been said about your Street photo, very different, and nice idea on it, even better that you didnt even need to leave the house like most people would of thought about for this theme..

very intresting, and very well put together like what's been said already, keep's you looking around it too :)

very clever Yv and very well excuted too - love it. Hope you can I'd love to see that. (y)

A brilliant take on the theme, you could see it being used for advertising

I like the idea of streets but it's a shame it needs to be at 100% on the large image to see the details. Your focus and processing is spot on for the maps, but perhaps a triptych would have allowed the more casual glancer to pick up on the points of focus.

Nice to see different takes on the themes, I especially like "street", I'd never have thought of that...!

The DOF on those maps if tiny, and I'm not sure whether it would look better, or in fact worse, if it was increased. That said, I think it works well as it is :)

What an innovative take on Street (y)

And meant you didn't have to go out into the cold and wet too :D

I like the processing and framing of this :clap::clap:

(y) Thanks again all. I know you need to see it at full res, and tbh a tryptich was the original plan, but as I was doing it, the plan was forming for the monopoly board idea. What i have now decided is that I actually want to do a photo of each street sign for real, station, or whatever [a few are not possible unfortunately] and then it was wil be mounted and framed BIG probably here in our dining room/library but the forming plan included map shots for my monopoly board project hence I was also trying to get an idea of how severla of these shots would look together. IN hindsight, 3 might have been enough though I think you would still have to view it bigger than allowed here to get a real feel for it :)

It was taken with my siggie 150mm macro lens. I initially had front element parallel to map but didn't like it, wanted more dof so got some angle in there, hence the 'til and shift' effect Adam [nice to see you here bud ] mentions - just love the narrowness you can get with a macro lens :D

Awaiting this weeks theme with some anticipation. I am so enjoying have something to aim at, really getting the ass kicking I needed with my photography.

...good luck with the electronic thingy (y) ...I want one of them too.

Its working, been ciggie free for over 4 weeks now and I still use the electronic one from time to time, but sometimes go days without needing it. It IS nice though to have there, after a good healthy dinner sometimes, or when having a night cap, or probably greatest time of need, if sitting at computer doing a lot of processing at once. I even use nicotine free cartridges and it bothers me not :D
There have been reports of them not being tested enough to be claimed to be legitimate aids for quitting smoking....frankly I have been inhaling god knows what chemicals for over 20 years, I doubt any issues with these can be worse than the same number of weeks of smoking 20 a day :bonk: My feeling is that a lot of the dissatisfaction is being generated by manufacturers of alternative aids that can see their own products being made less popular by them :naughty:

This rocks.

It's the sort of image I'd hang in my office, love it.

a novel idea and well executed!
the text is a bit prominent and overpowers the pictures within
but the overall effect is v good! (y)

Your chopped shot was well thought out & worked on.
Now you do it again with the street theme. Weel done lassie(y)

Awaiting this weeks theme with some anticipation. I am so enjoying have something to aim at, really getting the ass kicking I needed with my photography.

(y) Glad to hear that you're enjoying this!
And it's time for a bit of a catch up for me.

Chopped : Very, very clever. Looks like a good bit of precision positioning was needed to pull that one off! Absolutely seamless PP. The arrangement of the two halves isn't quite perfect, but close enough so that it really doesn't matter :clap:

Street : I was intrigued about what you were going to do indoors for this.
Another really clever and imaginative take and it's worked brilliantly. I can't wait to see the full Monopoly board if you get round to doing it.

Really like your take on Street, I think the proportions (text size, border and photo size) are all spot on as it's the kind of picture not designed to be looked at on a computer screen but framed and hung up on the wall, I like the idea of walking closer to see the details...

When I read you'd gone for a Monopoly theme I thought you'd gone for what I nearly did, shooting a monopoly board with hotels and houses lining a "street" from street level, something I still might try:)

Its working, been ciggie free for over 4 weeks now and I still use the electronic one from time to time, but sometimes go days without needing it. It IS nice though to have there, after a good healthy dinner sometimes, or when having a night cap, or probably greatest time of need, if sitting at computer doing a lot of processing at once. I even use nicotine free cartridges and it bothers me not :D
There have been reports of them not being tested enough to be claimed to be legitimate aids for quitting smoking....frankly I have been inhaling god knows what chemicals for over 20 years, I doubt any issues with these can be worse than the same number of weeks of smoking 20 a day :bonk: My feeling is that a lot of the dissatisfaction is being generated by manufacturers of alternative aids that can see their own products being made less popular by them :naughty:

Yeah spot on I think Yvonne. I tried my friends last year after a meal. I can usually resist the urge but we thought it be fun to strike up in the middle of the restaurant just to see the reaction, which was amusing ... I have to say it totally hit the spot, my brain and body clearly satisfied even though I knew it was an electronic trick ... quite superb!

I thought they where just nicotine and water vapour btw. :shrug:

Congratulations bud. :clap:

thats great.. very original and well put together.. like the idea of a personalised monopoly board :)

:clap: very good Yv... very clever and well presented.

Street is a great idea well executed too - I would like to have seen the individual 'windows' a little larger but I'm just a picky git :) Very original Yv! :clap:

Lovely shot Yv and a great concept.

Have you tried it with a frame put around the black BG?

I am really liking the number of different interpretations of Street this week.

Phew, just managed to get my week 5 shot done. I was hoping to do this last night, but the drizzling rain and general tiredness left me a bit bleugh.

So, Speed. Well, how many interpretations of that is there? I picked up photography in the digital era because I wanted to start photographing race cars. A teeny compact in 2002 was soon superceded by a Fuji bridge camera in 2003 [which I still have, thought sadly it no longer works]. Many years previous I had been a film SLR user so the yen was always there for another, but it was way beyond my means at the time. Shooting F1 cars with the shutterlag inherent on the bridge cameras was an artform in itself, your panning technique really did have to be good. I look back at some of the images from then and still feel a slight tingle of pride that I managed a few I wouldn't be ashamed to show in public today.
So, having moved a long way from the race track in the last year or so, I did briefly wonder whether to try and do something like that - if not at an actual circuit, then maybe one of our cars on a scenic bit of road, or something of that ilk.
However, one thing I have also promised myself with this 52, is if and when the opportunity and/or inspiration arises, to use it to to practice a new technique or a technique I am trying to improve on. My current photographic fun is light painting - its like being a kid again and indeed, this evening saw me and the teenage daughter out in the back garden running around with torches.
Going back to those motor racing roots, I had an idea of a spinning a light stick round on string to create the look of a wheel spinning, then adding in swirls and stuff to give the impression of tyre smoke - like a car [not] getting off the start line. Its an image I am still working on, but after a couple of attempts got something like what I wanted.

SPEED

4339240504_df3963b275_o.jpg

...except, not sure which works best....this was my 2nd choice because it sort of looks more like a circular saw or grinder I think. :thinking:

4339297718_266d821e08.jpg

All c&c welcome of course (y)

Very creative Yv, looks like this light painting is addictive. I would say the speed bit of this woud be YOU running round like a lunatic :D you should do a video tutorial :LOL:

The first for me, but I do understand the angle grinder look in the second.

(y)

Back