z8 with 500mm fl. f4 or Canon r5 with with 500mm f4 m2

Both great options I would think. I have canon R5 with 600 f4 m2 and it works well, especially AF tracking. I friends using Nikon and they love that too. But it’s a huge investment. I wouldn’t rely on a random person like me writing a comment. Get your hands on one of them and try for yourself.

I have that canon combination and it's fantastic, but I'm sure the Nikon would be too. For me, it's about being able to change settings on the camera without thinking too much and I'm so used to Canon that it's instinctive. I'm sure if I magically switched to Nikon or Sony then I would eventually get to the same fluency, but have never wanted to jump.

I'd give whichever system you currently use a 10 meter head start over the 100m.

What are you using at the moment and where is it failing?

I used to have the R5 with a 600mm f4ii and it was far better than and 1d series for BIF but I did still find the eye detection a little too jumpy.

Not used the Nikon but I have heard excellent things about its AF. Again, I once had the 600mm f4e and that was superb.

Best of the bunch though currently is Sony. Problem is, the lenses are expensive and rare on the 2nd hand market. The AF tracking is significantly better than Canon and the zebra function is brilliant. Going the 400mm f2.8 plus 1.4x converter may lessen the blow a little

There are no bad options but it does go back to what is your current gear letting you down with?

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: mav
What are you using at the moment and where is it failing?

I used to have the R5 with a 600mm f4ii and it was far better than and 1d series for BIF but I did still find the eye detection a little too jumpy.

Not used the Nikon but I have heard excellent things about its AF. Again, I once had the 600mm f4e and that was superb.

Best of the bunch though currently is Sony. Problem is, the lenses are expensive and rare on the 2nd hand market. The AF tracking is significantly better than Canon and the zebra function is brilliant. Going the 400mm f2.8 plus 1.4x converter may lessen the blow a little

There are no bad options but it does go back to what is your current gear letting you down with?

Mike
Using Sony with the 200-600 which I love . but just want to try a big Prime , as you said Sony to expensive for big Primes even used ,

Nikon has more long telephoto lenses for their Z mount plus at the moment there is a strong likelihood of third party lenses coming in that mount. It’s probably best to rent the equipment and try it out.

Last edited:
Using Sony with the 200-600 which I love . but just want to try a big Prime , as you said Sony to expensive for big Primes even used ,
In that case I wouldn't change. I currently have an A1 with the 200-600, and 2 friends have lent me their 600mm f4s to use. That is my dream lens but I can't afford it at the moment but in regards to pure IQ it isn't significantly better than the 200-600. A little better yer, but for web presentation I defy anyone to tell the difference.

Obviously there is the aperture difference but with programs like Topaz, not the same issue is used to be. It takes the 1.4x well, not as much the 2x as the supertele, but if you can live with 840mm I honestly wouldn't change just for the sake of an f4 lens

Put it this way, I know several high profile pros who always use the zoom unless there is a specific need for the 600mm, and its almost always to use often 2x

I've looked at your Flickr, and I'm not seeing any IQ problems at all

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: mav
Back