Zambia, South Luangwa.

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
A few photos from my recent trip to the South Luangwa region of Zambia.

C&C most welcome.

1. Ele eye

2. Young leopard in evening light

3. Spot the leopard?

4. Charge!

5. Behind you!

6. Stripes in the dust.

7. Yellow-billed Oxpecker

8. Nature in the raw

Last edited:
Excellent images, thanks for sharing them.

No8 amazed to see a hippo get taken by a lion.
Yes, likewise.

We had left the lion about 20 minutes previously and had been mating (every 10 min's for 3-4 days!!!) and our guide said 'he's going to kill tonight'.

It was a very tough watch - the young hippo (6-8 weeks old) was alive the whole of the time we were there (30 min's or so). Lions usually kill their prey by clamping their jaws under their neck and closing the wind-pipe....this just wasn't possible with the hippo. I only took 3 or 4 photo's - it didn't seem right somehow -this is far and away the least graphic!

We caught up with the lion the following day and he looked like he'd eaten a whole hippo (which to be fair, he pretty much had!) - he was now shaped like a barrel, lolling about on his side, obviously uncomfortable and not knowing what to do with himself!

Last edited:
Excellent set of photos, I love #4, 5 & 7 but all great ... another one amazed to see the lion taking a hippo!

"Excellent" set of wildlife captures Ian, liking all of these very much.

Gramps, Peter and George, many thanks for your kind and encouraging comments - they are very much appreciated.:)

Last edited:
Fabulous stuff there Ian, well done.

Fantastic.

The one reminds me of "He will ask the British prime minister for ground to air missiles, in order to control the menace of the Quelea birds"

The one reminds me of "He will ask the British prime minister for ground to air missiles, in order to control the menace of the Quelea birds"
:D....yes, they can certainly be a problem if you are trying to grow crops.

:D....yes, they can certainly be a problem if you are trying to grow crops.
I guess you are familiar with the news broadcast the quote came from :)

But they are one of the remembered familiar sights, almost like a "feature" of the area.

Super set, it would be nice to see the elephant processed in monochrome ;)

Thank you Jak (though very disappointed to find that you are not called Steve!)....it is the ele #14 you think may benefit from going monochrome?

Last edited:
Thank you Jak (though very disappointed to find you that are not called Steve!)....it is the ele #14 you think may benefit from going monochrome?
No, ele eye, my brothers name is Steve ;)

Last edited:
Excellent, I do love elephants in monochrome, a lovely image, well done indeed ;)

A cracking set of images, with bags of story and excellent detail.

Thank you most kindly Paul and Dale :)

Jak - the ele-monochrome thing had never really occurred to me, but you are right, there is great potential I think so thank you.

I shall continue playing and experimenting, but one interim image I quite like:

The skin textures add to a cracking image in my opinion, very nice indeed ;)

Back