Critique Zebra Jumping spider - from summer

The background - while plain (un-patterned or with detail) looks a little clunky, and the eyes are not sharp enough as you pointed out.

I would if possible (though it often isn't) try to get something behind the subject to take away the singleness, and with it it's darker areas that are harder to render, that tries to compliment the subject (printed card with a blurry pattern (leaves, wood, etc)).

That said, with sharpening you can get the eyes somewhat better, and with noise reduction, remove some of the clunky darker green too. Example below, sharpened, and then NR added. Does that help Gavin?

IMG_1808_upload.jpg

Paul.

Thanks Paul, great info, I will look into something to use as a backdrop or make some matt cards, I am struggling with sharpening at the minute as affinity seems to sharpen RAW but when I develop it goes soft, (anthor issue for elsewhere.)
Thanks again
Gav

PS thanks for sharing an edit

Last edited:
I have tried macro a few times. I found it very frustrating and difficult.

Seems to me you have an eye for this.

Gaz

ps: The sharpening in the edit works well imo.

I have tried macro a few times. I found it very frustrating and difficult.

Seems to me you have an eye for this.

Gaz

ps: The sharpening in the edit works well imo.
Thanks Gaz (y) I'm finding it a little tricky but I am enjoy the learning curve :)

I need to work out why Affinity is softening again after RAW processing

Thanks again

Paul's edit is an improvement but must say not far away with your shot i used Topaz sharpen hope you dont mindIMG_1808_upload-SharpenAI-softness.jpg

Last edited:
Paul's edit is an improvement but must say not far away with your shot i used Topaz sharpen hope you dont mind
Thanks Les, I don't mind at all :) thank you for the edit, I'm going to go back to the original a play with the software a bit more and may explore other programs (y)

Back