Zenit EM

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I had a tenner in my wallet and saw this in the charity shop so thought why not...

Seems in decent condition, very clean.

Gonna look at getting some film for it this week and give it a try.

Haven't touched a film camera since college when I processed my own negatives, is it as simple as just heading down boots with my roll?

What should I look out for with it? Any tips for this lens?

Cheers

Welcome back to the world of film, there's some good advice to be found if you do a search through some of the threads in the film and conventional section. This link should help with info on getting the film developed and scanned https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/film-developing-in-the-uk.341566/ Quite a few of us seem to use Filmdev and/or AG Photolab but there are quite a few other places to choose from too.

As for buying film, perhaps see how much you can get a roll of film from eBay for to try the camera out to make sure it works before you invest in a 3 or 5 pack? Something like Agfa Vista 400 iso print film should do the job OK. Hope this is useful, I'm sure someone who is familiar with the Zenit EM will be along soon to give you some tips. Don't forget to post some of your results on here too! (y)

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/russian/zenith_em/zenith_em.htm is a good place to start.

The standard lens is a Helios 44M - 58mm f/2 - generally quite sharp. The earlier ones had Helios 44 lenses you had to remember to turn a pre-set dial to close aperture after focussing wide open but the 44M has a pin at back that closes down for you automatically.

Last edited:
Zenit with a Helios lens? great combo, not used one for many years.

If you gert bored with it you can always use it to hammer things in with it ;) :)

Be careful with the frame counter. On mine if you wind to the end of the film and it's a bit tight it's almost impossible to turn the release ring so that you can rewind the film. And it is fairly easy to accidentally move the counter dial.

EM was my first ever SLR back in 1983. Badged for the Moscow Olympics. Very basic but took some lovely photos with it. There is some rule about not adjusting the shutter speed but can't remember whether it's not to do it with the shutter cocked or when it's not cocked. Would be worth checking.

Helios 44 is indeed a lovely lens if you got one with it.

Not sure what a few things are that's been mentioned, the SLRs in college were very modern! I will do some reading up over the next couple of days!

It does have a Helios 44 on there .

Made in Russia from scrap T-34s. Dont drop it on yer foot!

EM was my first ever SLR back in 1983. Badged for the Moscow Olympics. Very basic but took some lovely photos with it. There is some rule about not adjusting the shutter speed but can't remember whether it's not to do it with the shutter cocked or when it's not cocked. Would be worth checking.

Helios 44 is indeed a lovely lens if you got one with it.
Always advance the film before adjusting the shutter speed. It is possible to bend a pun in the mechanism if you adjust the speed before advancing the film.

Only just got round to getting this beast out, taking out tomorrow to give it a go.

Have a question if anyone can help... The shutter speed dial doesn't seem to work and is stuck is in B. When I lift the wheel to change the Shutter speed, it's doesn't drop back down as it should do and when I fire a shot off (without film) it just holds the shutter open until I release and the dial spins round 180 degrees.

Will this be different with film in it?

Thanks

No the film will make no difference, it may be that the speed dial is out of alignment:

To check follow these instructions. Ensure the the shutter is cocked first.

This is an easy fix, but a two part process. First, lift up your speed selector dial and rotate it counter-clockwise all the way 'til it stops. Then let it drop into that spot. This should be the "B" speed, and you can easily test that by firing the shutter with the film door open. Once you've found the "B" speed,if it lines up(on the centre post there is a fine red/ black line difficult to see if the black has worn off) with B mark then you should be OK,if not, remove the speed dial. You'll need a small screwdriver, and there are two or three screws on the perimeter of the dial...recessed ledge, actually. Once you remove that dial, use a straight pin to tighten the centre part of the mechanism...the part with the red/black line. It just screws down tight. Then replace the speed dial and make sure "B" lines up with the red/black mark. You'll be fine from there out.

No the film will make no difference, it may be that the speed dial is out of alignment:

To check follow these instructions. Ensure the the shutter is cocked first.

This is an easy fix, but a two part process. First, lift up your speed selector dial and rotate it counter-clockwise all the way 'til it stops. Then let it drop into that spot. This should be the "B" speed, and you can easily test that by firing the shutter with the film door open. Once you've found the "B" speed,if it lines up(on the centre post there is a fine red/ black line difficult to see if the black has worn off) with B mark then you should be OK,if not, remove the speed dial. You'll need a small screwdriver, and there are two or three screws on the perimeter of the dial...recessed ledge, actually. Once you remove that dial, use a straight pin to tighten the centre part of the mechanism...the part with the red/black line. It just screws down tight. Then replace the speed dial and make sure "B" lines up with the red/black mark. You'll be fine from there out.

Hi.
I've tried this earlier, it just spins and spins, there is no stop to it. Assumed it would just get to a point where it unscrews to be honest.
Any ideas how to get the dial out?

What just spins and spins?

Last edited:
The speed selector dial when it's lifted and turned counter clockwise

I see,it would appear that it has come completely loose inside,follow instruction from:

,if not, remove the speed dial. You'll need a small screwdriver, and there are two or three screws on the perimeter of the dial...recessed ledge, actually. Once you remove that dial, use a straight pin to tighten the centre part of the mechanism...the part with the red/black line. It just screws down tight.

It may be that the grub screw holding the speed dial has come loose so check that first.

This may help as well:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/analog/comments/3a9z91/zenit_em_shutter_speed_dial_problem/

Last edited:
I see,it would appear that it has come completely loose inside,follow instruction from:

,if not, remove the speed dial. You'll need a small screwdriver, and there are two or three screws on the perimeter of the dial...recessed ledge, actually. Once you remove that dial, use a straight pin to tighten the centre part of the mechanism...the part with the red/black line. It just screws down tight.

It may be that the grub screw holding the speed dial has come loose so check that first.

This may help as well:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/analog/comments/3a9z91/zenit_em_shutter_speed_dial_problem/

Sorted it now. Thanks for the help.

Day out to use it today

Back