Zenit TTL

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Was given a Zenit TTL with a Helios 58 f2 and a Japanese 300 f5.6 recently. All in decent condition so was going to try run a roll or so through.

The meter is a needle type, are these worth the time or will need to meter in some other way?

Focusing also seems a pain as I am struggling to see the "fuzzy patch" focus aid. Any tips?

Was thinking of shoving some ISO 400 B&W in there and taking the 55 for a run next time I go somewhere interesting. Will have a read regarding developing and such, I can't see me self developing so will probably need it sent out.

Well the important bit i.e. the lens is a good one and also digital guys like it..for the meter, just compare with another camera and adjust the asa until they agree (not a perfect solution but good enough). Not sure what to say about the fuzzy patch.

I haven't used a Zenith so can't comment on the meter or focussing issues, but if you're planning on doing ISO400 and using lab developing then using Ilford XP2 is good idea. It's a black and white film which is developed using the same C41 process as colour negative film - so any postal lab or high street lab will be able to develop them, and cheaper than developing conventional BW film.

Boots sell XP2 and the price is OK if you buy two and get the second half-price (I don't work for either Boots or Ilford)

Well the important bit i.e. the lens is a good one and also digital guys like it..for the meter, just compare with another camera and adjust the asa until they agree (not a perfect solution but good enough). Not sure what to say about the fuzzy patch.
The manual says there's a patch in the middle that goes grainy or fuzzy (can't recall off hand would need to look it up) when in focus, or maybe the other way round. I wasn't really able to see this in action. Would have preferred a split prism like my old Pentax T30 which is much more obvious.

I haven't used a Zenith so can't comment on the meter or focussing issues, but if you're planning on doing ISO400 and using lab developing then using Ilford XP2 is good idea. It's a black and white film which is developed using the same C41 process as colour negative film - so any postal lab or high street lab will be able to develop them, and cheaper than developing conventional BW film.

Boots sell XP2 and the price is OK if you buy two and get the second half-price (I don't work for either Boots or Ilford)
Thanks will have a nose in boots tomorrow.

It will be a fuzzy area (microprisms) that goes clear (or clear-ish) when in focus. Agree XP2 a good place to start as easy to get processed (my local Asda will do it, for instance). It's also quite resilient to bad exposure, if the meter is a bit off.

I have never had any problems focusing with my old Zenit EM. Only thing that I would say is maybe 400 ISO may be a bit fast on a bright day with only a 1/500th top shutter speed? May find yourself stuck with smaller apertures?

To be fair I have no idea what I am doing with film. My last experience was in 2006 and that was in NYC so ISO400 was a nice balance for day and night shots!

Will see what I can get my hands on. Not willing to throw loads of money at this camera.

In that case it has Poundland Agfa Vista written all over it, if you have a branch near you?

One thing I'll say about the TTL, mine shreds film when I rewind it... I've noticed the little twisty bit around the shutter that you turn to rewind sort of unturns itself, which of course halts the film then tears it. Worth keeping a finger against it to keep it properly turned.

Loading the film I noticed there is 1 screw missing on the side of the back release cover. Still seems to be working just fine but would like to source a replacement. Any idea where I might find one?

Back