Zoom Lens for the Nikon F90x

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I have the Sigma 70-210 D which is a good performer, and have been looking for Nikon 28-80 D (for my usual bargain price ;) ) ...which were originally for my F401, but now have a F90x and it can take AF S, so is it faster for focusing or the D models are good enough?

btw once I tested the F90x with film and it's OK, if anyone is interested they can have the F401 body to play with on a very long loan for the cost of postage (Royal mail were charging £2.60 for small parcels not very long ago).

The F90X is cheap as chips now but I think you are going to be disappointed if you think you will find cheap AF-S lenses that cover film. By the time AF-S lenses were out most of the sales had shifted to DX format digital cameras so there just isn't the selection of AF-S lenses there they are either mostly fast pro glass or late models with VR and G designed for use on the new FX digital bodies.

I use a 28-85 non D on a D600 and have no complaints with the focus speed this one in fact cost me 40 with attached F801 from the Hailsham camcentre.

Preusing Ken's site the 24-85 might be your best chance in an AF-S

I suspect any of these is going to cost you more than the camera did.

The F90X is cheap as chips now but I think you are going to be disappointed if you think you will find cheap AF-S lenses that cover film. By the time AF-S lenses were out most of the sales had shifted to DX format digital cameras so there just isn't the selection of AF-S lenses there they are either mostly fast pro glass or late models with VR and G designed for use on the new FX digital bodies.

I use a 28-85 non D on a D600 and have no complaints with the focus speed this one in fact cost me 40 with attached F801 from the Hailsham camcentre.

Preusing Ken's site the 24-85 might be your best chance in an AF-S

I suspect any of these is going to cost you more than the camera did.

Thanks...I don't want to spend too much money as all I'm going to use the camera for is:- shots of moving grand children, so I stick with the "D"......early last year and before, at the boot sales, I saw AF Nikon zooms going for peanuts but walked by as I didn't have a AF camera, later on when I got the F401, I carried it around to test the lens before buying...but haven't seen one since :eek: :(

The AF-S 24-85 is great on film (I have one), but as suggested above, not likely to be found cheap. I used to have the 28-70 f3.3-f4.5 D and it really is good, and cheap too (I sold mine for about £65 on ebay, having bought it for around £40 from Rocky a couple of years previously). The 28-105 also has a very good reputation and can be bought for around £100 I think. The F90x has a good powerful AF motor and focuses these lenses no bother. The AF-S lenses are a little quicker, but not all that much for these shorter focal lengths (I suspect the difference would be more noticeable with a longer lens).

Last edited:
When the F401 came out and probably to keep the price low, some (maybe all) were fitted with Sigma zooms, well if the Sigma 28-70 is as good as the 70-210...I would mind that if not £45 plus. A couple of years ago I posted that at the boot sales I was starting to see old AF zooms and suggested they were dumping them for the new digital ones, but these have dried up............................maybe the digital guys have changed their mind and going back to them ;)
So it's the Nikon 28-70 or 28-80 or Sigma 28-70 D model.

Back