zoom lens or Teleconverter ?

Name
Denholm
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone,

I have a nikon D40 18-55mm kit lens and a 50-200mm lens and as good as the 200mm is and i think its great ,sometimes i need just that little bit more zoom and ive been looking at (more like dreaming of ) the 70-300mm nikon lens but i was just wondering if a Nikon Tc-14E Af-S Teleconverter Ii is worth getting instead, as its slightly less money and i can use it on my other lens if i wish (not sure what for ) and in the future any other lenses any advise would be much appreciated as im sort of a noob :LOL:

Thanks in advance

P.s sorry if this has been asked before

As a newbie it is easy to get drawn into a gear fest in the hope that it will solve all your problems.....try working on techniques instead to solve those same problems.

I have no idea why the 200 is not long enough for you - but i am sure the number of pictures where you NEED a300 are few and far between and the 200 would do the job if it was approached in a different manner.

I would advise you to learn how to use the lenses you have really well, then see if you still need a longer lens.

The Nikon x14tc is excellent. I use mine on a 300mm f2.8 making it a 420mm f4. Remember that it'll cost you one full stop so if your lens has a maximum aperture of f4 the x14tc will drop it to f5.6. I've not noticed any reduction in quality with the x14tc or x17tc but the x2tc does start to soften things up a little.

Mark

I would advise you to learn how to use the lenses you have really well, then see if you still need a longer lens.

I like this advice :)
I've been told the same by a few experienced toggers so I have listened to their advice.

Thanks lensflare

Everything you said makes so much sense really ,thinking about it ,the times i need a lens longer than 200mm IS few and far between, So like hashcake said i think i'll take your advise it will also save me money and hopefully improve my skills/techniques to . I really appreciate everyones advise and views being a noob and all (y)

Any other advise going :D ??

Apart from not eating yellow snow and washing behind my ears :LOL:

I found moving much closer gave just the same effect as a longer lens. Still having problems with my moon shots though, can't seem to find a ladder long enough :shrug:

;)

I think that with thought and a stable hand you will get good pics with your lens maxed up to 200mm. From there, as long as the focus and stuff is good, you can crop from there.

I have managed some good close ups with my 250mm - Not a big diference really.

Hey everyone thanks for all the info and advice , i looked on the nikon site and as far as i can make out it will fit and still have auto focus if you look in the tech spec it says dx lens (which mine is) are compatible see what you think?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2129/AF-S-Teleconverter-TC-14E-II.html#Tech%20Specs

but still think im going to hold off before i get it or think of going that way plus just looked at my bank and got the reply "computer says no" :LOL:

Just to clarify, you want to put a £225 teleconvertor, which is designed for pro lenses with an f/2.8 aperture, onto a £125 f/5.6 lens? :thinking:

Firstly, this would leave you with a lens that probably wouldn't autofocus and a near pitch black viewfinder and secondly, as Joe and Stewart say, it doesn't actually physically fit the 55-200 or the 18-55.....

Joe has nailed it on the head, sell the 55-200 and buy a 70-300 if you really think you need the extra reach.

Don't get confused and brand everything together because it said DX lenses will work with the TC, not all of them will, not being a nikon expert, did abit more searching on the nikon link you posted and basically the rules are the same for Nikon as they are for canon. Your lens max ap is f5.6 @ 200, which means that when adding a TC to the lens, it will take it beyond the capabilities of the camera to autofocus this lens because you are losing an f-stop because of the TC. Not sure if its the case that you can still use the lens and TC together but only manual focus the lens like with the canon lenses, someone else will have to answer this question.

The following common lenses cannot be used with an autofocus teleconverter, this is not a complete list:

17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX
18-55 f3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
18-70 f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR DX
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX
Any 70-300mm lens
24-120 f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
80-400 f4.5-5.6D ED AF VR
18-135 f3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX

TC's are really designed for the fast prime lenses like nikon 300mm f2.8 and pro bodies, although they are used on the faster zoom lenses as well

Peter

:shrug:didnt know it was just for pros just thought it was cheaper than getting the 70-300mm nikon . Did i mention im a noob :D

Thanks for clearing that up pete i didnt read all of it i just presumed ! oops :LOL:

Cheers joe when i think i need the 300mm im going to get that one reviews are great and looks good to.

This is why i love this site you get loads of feedback and advise thanks everyone (y)

Hey everyone thanks for all the info and advice , i looked on the nikon site and as far as i can make out it will fit and still have auto focus if you look in the tech spec it says dx lens (which mine is) are compatible see what you think?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2129/AF-S-Teleconverter-TC-14E-II.html#Tech%20Specs
I think you needed to read it a little more carefully. I've provided some additional punctation to make it clearer. It says:
AF-S Teleconverters are compatible with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses except
* AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED,
* AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED,
* AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mmf/2.8G ED,
* AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED,
* AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED,
* AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, and
* DX NIKKOR lenses.

yep i know (Doh !) read my previous post thanks for the feedback (y)

Back