Clud17-52-2010 Wk 27 Art

Loving this weeks Chris.

Any of the three shots would have worked on their own but together they are really powerful.

The play on words for the title is inspired (y)

You certainly have no issues with this weeks theme :LOL:

Andy
cheers Andy, i did have three more but thought with six in the shot it would be too much

Love the candid - we have a very cool BI seller in Norwich - has the prime spot and a totally cool labrador who wears the BI seller badge on his collar... always have a chat with him, and sometimes buy a BI. Usually have a treat for the dog, from the market and sometimes a coffee for him... Damn, why the #### didn't I think to ask him to be my candid model!!!!! doh doh doh!
cheers mate, suprisingly i havn't seen any with dogs in sheffield otherwise i'd be dipping in my right pocket which is always full of treats for my hungry hound:LOL:

Nice one, very powerfull!!!! We used to live in London for three years and there was a BI seller who always was very nice to the girls (who were 1 and 3 at the time) so one day they insisted on bringing him lunch. He loved it!!!!
i bet he did, and sounds like you have a couple of great girls there if they think like that at such a young age.:clap:

Well done Chris. A powerful three shots, excellent expressions, the middle is the best, but as a Triptych with that title, works very well together.

Glad to hear the knee is heading in the right direction. I guess not too long to wait till the op, then do this all over again and be right as rain by what Christmas ?
thanks mate, right by Christmas would be an excellent present and probrably deserved from all the hard work i'll have to put in

As said great capture for the middle guy. Great thinking too. Really like these
Cheers Stephen:)

Nice work. The triptych works great. I wish I could think of decent titles for my shots like you though. Makes such a difference.
thanks Deen, i like to get a good title to a picture as to me its an integral part. Sometimes they just pop in without thought, sometimes i struggle.

Nice shots Chris - I partcularly like the middle one, it's an unusual expression, well done.

thanks Dave, i actually had 2 or 3 of this guy and caught him part way through his cry of Big issue, some of them look a tad scary:LOL:

Brilliant shots of the BI sellers. It works really well as a triptych. Like the others I think the middle shot is the best. I bought a BI a couple of weeks ago so I could take the guys picture.He was really helpful and happy to be photographed.

Chris i think the guy in the middle is ace. suits the theme really well.

That look is probs because some one didn't buy an issue. some of these homeless who sell in Hull are offensive. lol

Chemistry is a beautiful shot - lovely colours and arrangement of bubbles. I tried to do something like this but the oil kept on merging. I must have another go sometime. Yours would look good on the wall.

Candid - excellent! It works well as a triptych and uou have captured wonderful expressions.

Chemistry is a beautiful shot - lovely colours and arrangement of bubbles. I tried to do something like this but the oil kept on merging. I must have another go sometime. Yours would look good on the wall.

Candid - excellent! It works well as a triptych and uou have captured wonderful expressions.
i know what you mean about the oil, i think the thing is to use only a little, if they merge then use a straw and blow into the glass to separate things a bit

I have always thought that BI sellers make great subjects for photography but have never had the gumption to snap one myself - I find people photography awkward, which is why challenges such as this are great because they stretch us.

Anyway, I think you have done brilliantly here.
What character, what expressions: There's drama and story behind each.

Top interpretation of the candid theme(y)

I really like #1.
You're right, people forget that charity starts at home. People are very happy to shun those that they've grown up with, spent 12 or more years of their life seeing someone every day and being pally, if a couple of years later they fall upon hard times.

I really like #1.
You're right, people forget that charity starts at home. People are very happy to shun those that they've grown up with, spent 12 or more years of their life seeing someone every day and being pally, if a couple of years later they fall upon hard times.

absolutely Nattalie, who knows what is round the corner for any of us. It's great to see the efforts we can go to though, 30 million was raised last night for Sport Relief and 15 million of that goes to home charities and projects.:clap::clap::clap:

I have always thought that BI sellers make great subjects for photography but have never had the gumption to snap one myself - I find people photography awkward, which is why challenges such as this are great because they stretch us.

Anyway, I think you have done brilliantly here.
What character, what expressions: There's drama and story behind each.

Top interpretation of the candid theme(y)
thanks Rob, i agree, i was a bit unsure like a lot of others about snapping candid shots but the more i got into it the less worried i was. I could have done much more if i had the time. We have to challenge ourselves and push our boundaries. Gradual exposure (no pun intended) is a good way of getting over ones phobias.

Great use of a triptych there Chris. As has been said already, all 3 shots are equally good. Also, I'm not sure if it was intentional for the triptych, but I really like the way how you have arranged the triptych so that the guy in the 1st image and the guy in the 3rd image are facing the centre image - was that intentional or pure co-incidence? Either way, great entry for candid!

Great use of a triptych there Chris. As has been said already, all 3 shots are equally good. Also, I'm not sure if it was intentional for the triptych, but I really like the way how you have arranged the triptych so that the guy in the 1st image and the guy in the 3rd image are facing the centre image - was that intentional or pure co-incidence? Either way, great entry for candid!

thanks mate, and yep it was intentional, i had pictures of six fellas and i chose the outer two for that reason

Chemistry: I like these types of shots Chris - for some reason I always think they have been artificially drawn on a computer - goes to show how wonderful and precise nature can be.

Candid: Good take with excellent subjects.

Chemistry: I like these types of shots Chris - for some reason I always think they have been artificially drawn on a computer - goes to show how wonderful and precise nature can be.

Candid: Good take with excellent subjects.

thanks, to be honest i wouldnt even know where to begin trying to draw this on a computer:LOL:

Nice set of candid shots well done
thanks mate:)

Love, love, love your chemistry shot :love:
I've tried the oil on water thing, but just ended up with a big blob . . . any tips?

Candid. The title says it all really and it does work on at least 3 levels.
Each shot stands alone individually - I particularly like the poster in the background in the first one and the expression on the guy's face in the middle. But as a triptych it's very powerful.
The subdued colours really add to it too.

Love, love, love your chemistry shot :love:
I've tried the oil on water thing, but just ended up with a big blob . . . any tips?

Candid. The title says it all really and it does work on at least 3 levels.
Each shot stands alone individually - I particularly like the poster in the background in the first one and the expression on the guy's face in the middle. But as a triptych it's very powerful.
The subdued colours really add to it too.

Thanks Sarah,

I know what you mean about the oil and water it took me a couple of sessions to get it right, i kept blowing into the water with a straw to get some separation and that seemed to work, i changed the water regularly and only used a small amount of oil.

I like the poster too, i only saw it when i looked at the shots after, its quite interesting behind, im going to have to go back and see what it is.

They're brilliant, the chap in the middle loks a little threatening !!

Catchup time for me...

Chemistry is wonderful. Amazing capture, and beautifully framed. It really would look good on a wall as an abstract. Big round of applause from me.

Also, Candid is very very good to. Well titled, and well shot.

No criticism from me at all... Lovely work.

Ian.

Hi Chris,

I have just looked through your themed weeks so far and all I can say is pure brilliance. Your "take" on a given theme is refreshing to say the least.

I shall be following your work throughout the year.

Good luck doing the forthcoming themes.

Andy

Week 12 Produce
i didn't really like this theme as it took ages to get inspired for it. i couldnt come up with an idea i liked, after a while i started to climb out of the box again and mess about with words. I thought of prod-use or prod-deuce but even then i couldnt figure out a decent image. I then got a prod in the right direction from a friend of mine who suggested prod-juice. That was enough for me to go on, so off i went to the grocers for some juice producers and i came up with this. :LOL:

Prod Juice
4463513354_f02e05790f.jpg

interesting play on words there.........

How do yuo get such a black background (use a black background or is it PS afterwards?)

Nice shot, well exectuted, I bet it took ages to get that drop right!

I may have been tempted to have half the orange as is and the other already squeezed on a juicer...That might make for a different shot? That way you could get really close and show the juice coming out!

Last edited:
Prod-juice :(

It's a lovely shot. Well composed, well lit and the black background is considered and works well. The only thing for me is the subject is a bit "ok". Nothing special in terms of interest. Technically, it's great. Artistically... Doesn't do much for me I'm afraid... Sorry! :)

Ian.

Stonking shot. Beautifully composed, well lit, the colours POP and it's a really clever take on the theme.

Chris, that's genius! Wish I could be so inventive!

Great shot - both colour and composition work really well - also like your play on words :)

Nice shot, well exectuted, I bet it took ages to get that drop right!

I may have been tempted to have half the orange as is and the other already squeezed on a juicer...That might make for a different shot? That way you could get really close and show the juice coming out!
thanks , i used some glycerine in the juice to thicken it up a bit so that helped, i tried to get the shutter fast enough without bumping the iso up too much and then just took multiple fps.

Prod-juice :(

It's a lovely shot. Well composed, well lit and the black background is considered and works well. The only thing for me is the subject is a bit "ok". Nothing special in terms of interest. Technically, it's great. Artistically... Doesn't do much for me I'm afraid... Sorry! :)

Ian.
ok Ian, i found it tricky this week to get any inspiration for this title, my least favourite so far.

This works very well - full marks for the idea, setting it up and managing the lighting so well.

I'm just a little bothered by the colour of your hand which looks a bit jaundiced. Or did you have to eat loads of oranges to get the shot? :LOL:

Another good paly on words Chris.

Very vibrant colours and good PP on the background.

Commented on your flickr and added you as a contact as well. Hope you don't mind.

Andy

Great shot, the black background works really well with the bright orange.
Thankyou:)
This works very well - full marks for the idea, setting it up and managing the lighting so well.

I'm just a little bothered by the colour of your hand which looks a bit jaundiced. Or did you have to eat loads of oranges to get the shot? :LOL:
maybe its a cast off the orange, don't worry i think im in reasonable health

Another good paly on words Chris.

Very vibrant colours and good PP on the background.

Commented on your flickr and added you as a contact as well. Hope you don't mind.

Andy
thanks Andy, no i don't mind mate ill look out for your Flickr too. Its good to get some comments on there.

Haha - great play on words. Great shot too - nice vibrant colours against the black background. Well lit.

Isn't that the wrong way around? - reading left to right it looks like "Juice Prod" to me ;)

Love it :D
Very imaginative and inventive take on the theme. Clear & crisp and the colours are spot on.
Even with glycerin, it can't have been easy to get that drop right. I think you've done really well this week.

Isn't that the wrong way around? - reading left to right it looks like "Juice Prod" to me ;)

Love it :D
Very imaginative and inventive take on the theme. Clear & crisp and the colours are spot on.
Even with glycerin, it can't have been easy to get that drop right. I think you've done really well this week.

thanks Sarah and just for you the compositionally correct prod-juice :LOL:
4474380704_d063c9b859_m.jpg

Back