Clud17-52-2010 Wk 27 Art

Prod Juice

I did wonder what someone pointing at an orange had to do with the theme... and now that I know, I'm kinda wishing I didn't. A nice simple, well lit shot all the same. (y)

I really like 'Prod Juice' :LOL:

Clever take on the theme (haven't got round to mine yet :eek:), but nice contrast and colours (y)

Chris

Great, I love the bright colours and the take on the theme! I had a look at your other entries as well, and they're all pretty creative I have to say.

Your poetry shot is amazing, how do you come up with it :thinking: And the people shot actually had me laughing out loud :LOL:

All be following your theme, very curious to see the rest!

Great, I love the bright colours and the take on the theme! I had a look at your other entries as well, and they're all pretty creative I have to say.

Your poetry shot is amazing, how do you come up with it :thinking: And the people shot actually had me laughing out loud :LOL:

All be following your theme, very curious to see the rest!

cheers mate, im not sure how i come up with the ideas, sometimes i know from right from the start and its then about trying to turn what's in my head into an image, othertimes i struggle for a bit and then i all comes together.

great interpretation of the theme.. the orange is nice and vivid against the black background.. :)

Works for me Chris, a very imaginative take on the theme... strong colours, good background, and great drop.

Week 13 Quad

A nicer theme this week and one that had endless ideas and possibilities. The question was really should i shoot four of one thing, or one thing of four? I spent most of the week looking for subject and came up with a few outside shoots (getting a bit fed up of the still life's) Needles to say the weather played its hand again this week:annoyed::dummy: and killed any chance of an outside shoot before today so i went for this idea.

Four Eyes
4489756955_a67e4b1cae.jpg

Last edited:
Who are you calling four eyes :boxer: :LOL:

Yet another good play on words.

I like the idea, depth of field wouldn't be an issue for this subject and lighting is spot on. I think it would have just finished it nicely if all the needles were at the same height.

Andy

Great idea Chris, and well taken, I do agree about getting the needles aligned properly... whether that's all aligned horizontally, or I think it would work aligned along a diagonal too..

I like the idea, but the picture doesn't come easy on my eyes. Sorry I know that's a ridiculous thing to say, but I can't explain it any other way. I'm not sure why I find it hard to look at. Maybe it is as said before that the needles aren't exactly alligned.

That beiing said, it is again a very creative picture and way more original than what I came up with (still need to post, oops).

:LOL: its tricky getting them all to line up in a potato, i thought i'd managed it until i took a look on my pc. I guess with macro photography even the slightest detail is blown up. I'd better go and get my ruler and spirit level out:bonk:

Great idea Chris, and well taken, I do agree about getting the needles aligned properly... whether that's all aligned horizontally, or I think it would work aligned along a diagonal too..

I did try having them disappear into the background with a shallow dof but that was even harder to get evenly spaced and i didnt really like the effect. for me it had more impact this way.

I really love this idea and to be honest I couldn't tell without holding something straight against the picture whether they were slightly off or it was just my eyesight :)

Really like your take on quad - the lighting and the way you have framed the shot really work.

Needles to say the weather played its hand again this week:annoyed::dummy: and killed any chance of an outside shoot before today so i went for this idea.

^^^^ This and the 4 Eyes title made me laugh :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
So I already had a smile on my face before I even scrolled down to your shot.

Clever interpretation and well shot.
Not an easy subject, but you've managed the reflections well and kept the needles sharp (in both senses of the word)
My OCD side would also like to see them lined up a little better. I wonder if it would have been easier to line them up on a flat surface rather than impaling a potato :thinking:

I really love this idea and to be honest I couldn't tell without holding something straight against the picture whether they were slightly off or it was just my eyesight :)

Really like your take on quad - the lighting and the way you have framed the shot really work.

Neat idea, nicely lit and well presented :D
thanks guys.:)

^^^^ This and the 4 Eyes title made me laugh :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
So I already had a smile on my face before I even scrolled down to your shot.

Clever interpretation and well shot.
Not an easy subject, but you've managed the reflections well and kept the needles sharp (in both senses of the word)
My OCD side would also like to see them lined up a little better. I wonder if it would have been easier to line them up on a flat surface rather than impaling a potato :thinking:

thanks Sarah, do you mean lay on a flat surface and then shoot from above? im not sure the light would fall on them the same would it????

I like this very much indeed - very simple and clean, with good lighting and processing. I'm wouldn't want them aligned perfectly, as I think they have more character and personality like this. The one on the left, turning away slightly from the others, looks as if it doesn't want to be associated with them...a bit like family photographs. :LOL:

I like this very much indeed - very simple and clean, with good lighting and processing. I'm wouldn't want them aligned perfectly, as I think they have more character and personality like this. The one on the left, turning away slightly from the others, looks as if it doesn't want to be associated with them...a bit like family photographs. :LOL:

Thanks Tracer, i like your idea of it turning away, hadn't thought of it like that, i could have made it more obvious and titled it "look the other way" or "eye's right":LOL:

To be honest if i really wanted them to all line up i may as well have taken one shot and cloned it four times, save all the hassle:)

thanks Sarah, do you mean lay on a flat surface and then shoot from above? im not sure the light would fall on them the same would it????

You could try laying them out and then lighting from above with a lamp :thinking:
TBH I'm useless at working out this lighting stuff in my head - I'm more of a set it up and then fiddle around to see how it looks type of worker :LOL:

Week 14 Shoot

Don't you just love getting dressed up and assuming the role of a bad ass gangsta:cool: No? well i did and had a great time.
My initial plan for "shoot" seemed a little ambitious, It required the gun (a blue cap gun which i had to spray), some soil and a shoot from a new plant. I was going to bury the gun partially and then have the shoot coming out of the barrel. I liked the idea but wasn't sure if i could pull it off. Anyway, I also a secretly see myself as a henchman from a Pacino/De Nero movie :LOL: and couldn't resist getting the sheepskin on !

I havn't done many self portraits so It was an opportunity to mess and also to learn with my lighting set up for portraits( 2 SB 600 strobes). I'm pretty pleased with the way it is lit but i think i could have improved on the sharpness, tricky when you are trying to focus on a balloon in low light and then trying to take its exact place in the shot.

The title of the image is lifted from a line in well known Tarantino film

"I Will Strike Down Upon Thee"
4503353491_53b599f27d.jpg

Larger link here

Last edited:
Liking Quad Chris. Well thought out for the theme.

Shoot is very nicely lit - very moody.

Very cool idea for quad :clap:, and well shot! I like the lighting for 'shoot' as well, great stuff!

Brillliant moody "Shoot"! I love the pose, lighting, and limited coolour, and your border sets it off beautifully. :clap::clap:

Did you have to draw a face on the balloon and did the face recognition recognise it? :LOL:

Brillliant moody "Shoot"! I love the pose, lighting, and limited coolour, and your border sets it off beautifully. :clap::clap:

Did you have to draw a face on the balloon and did the face recognition recognise it? :LOL:

thanks, im taking more time over my borders now as i think they do play a large part in presenting an image, and no i didnt draw a face on the ballon but i did draw a target:LOL:

Mmmm, nice shoot shot, Chris. The only thing that I'd have done differently is to have a little more rim light, but that's subjective.

i like this too Chris, very creative, good composition and lighting. (y) from me

Nice idea, you do look a bit of a gangsta but I would have a different title.....

If you say 'WHAT' one more time!

(y)

Great shot for shoot......fits the theme brilliantly. Love the lighting and the pose - had something similar in my head but had no idea how to go round executing the shot. Also, as has been said, the frame really does improve the pic massively.

Nice idea, you do look a bit of a gangsta but I would have a different title.....

If you say 'WHAT' one more time!

(y)
:LOL: i think i could use a number of quotes from the film.

Great shot for shoot......fits the theme brilliantly. Love the lighting and the pose - had something similar in my head but had no idea how to go round executing the shot. Also, as has been said, the frame really does improve the pic massively.
Cheers pro, i had one SB600 through an umbrella camera right, one bare SB600 behind me. i was a bit limited for room in my attic room/studio for positioning the various equipment as i also have a load of junk up there. Maybe it will encourage me not to hoard so much.:)

BRILLIANT :D

Although I have to admit, the flat cap isn't very 'Gansta' ;)

The muted tones and limited colours work very well and I'm impressed with the lighting too (I just wait for the sun to come out or turn every light in the house on).

BRILLIANT :D

Although I have to admit, the flat cap isn't very 'Gansta' ;)

The muted tones and limited colours work very well and I'm impressed with the lighting too (I just wait for the sun to come out or turn every light in the house on).

thanks Rob, not sure if i agree with you though, Robert De Nero wore a flat cap in the Godfather II in many scenes.
Bad ass gangsta in a flat cap link
:cool::LOL:

Back