weekly Ratman's 52 week challange 2012 Week 10 'Win' Added MONEY NOW ADDED :)

I prefer the first pic, but in both I'd like a bit more space at the top of the pic. It might just be me, but I think the pic ends too close to the top of the shot glass.

I like the idea you have for the pic and playing with DoF to represent the clearing and focusing of your life.

I am liking your take on the theme, this is what I need to do and think more about my photography......
great start:clap:

Thanks for taking the time to comment Agent :) I wanted a little more space on the top but the leather sofa behind had too many distracting reflections, I'm going to head out tomorrow and buy some different coloured card for future use.

Thanks also Tony, same reason I'm doing it this year, last year I only seemed to use my camera on a handful of occasions and I have promised myself that this year I will think about photography more :)

Hiya Roly,

I thought I would pop past quick to see how you are getting on with the start of your project.

I have to say, I prefer the first shot posted, the mono works well, the composition is good as is the DOF. The only minor niggle for me is it would have been better if you could have got the JD on the glass clearer .... but the message is still there.

The 2nd shot doesn't work for me, purely because of my OCD .... the background is distracting and the composition is bit 'messy'. I can see how you were aiming for the 'bad' things disappearing into the distance, but because of the size of those objects compared to the fore, they draw more attention which then brings my eyes to focus on the OOF object (if that makes sense :shrug:)

So I definitely go with #1 here.

Oh and is this a New Year's resolution ..... or just a great idea for a shot ..... because I don't think I could give up either.

Good luck, and I will keep trail of your project.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Very poignant! Love it! The mono conversion makes it just that little bit more special! Well done!

Good start to the project. A black sheet would be useful but as I am on an economy drive I just picked up a couple of sheets of black A1 from the local art supply shop. Cheap and effective :)

Good luck with the project and your new years goals :)

I am popping into town monday to buy some black card on Monday and might invest in some coloured fabric for backgrounds, I need some card as I am in the mood for some more water drop photos.

Dawn, yep a New Years resolutuon for me, to give up the smokes and cut back on the JD. I can easily see a bottle off in an evening at times.

Thanks for the comments & support, it is really apprieciated :)

Hey babes, I know exactly what you are experiencing ..... more than you know. Good luck with the NY resolutions and if you feel you need encouragement, give me a shout.

Cheers

Hi Roly, just found your thread! Everything seems to have been covered and I can't really add any more. I do quite like the 1st version you posted. All the best with the rest of your project. Am subscribed now so shouldn't miss anything!

Thankyou for taking the time to comment and subscribing, it really is appreciated :)

Part of my challange to myself is to learn how to offer proper CC on my photos and others and I am commited to visiting as many of the other 52's as I can.

Hey babes, I know exactly what you are experiencing ..... more than you know. Good luck with the NY resolutions and if you feel you need encouragement, give me a shout.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I'm actually finding it alright at the moment. I'm sure that will change in a few days :) I will certainly give you a shout if I struggle, i could end up with a double butt kicking..;)

Love the idea of your picture :) quit smoking new year 2009 and haven't looked back :)

Following your 52 pics with interest x

Thank you also for the comments, glad to see that someone else has managed to kick the habbit. It's probably all in my head but I am already feeling better in myself.

Just don't expect too much from my 52, I seem to get the ideas in my head it's putting them into pixels where I struggle..lol

Thankyou for taking the time to comment and subscribing, it really is appreciated :)

Part of my challange to myself is to learn how to offer proper CC on my photos and others and I am commited to visiting as many of the other 52's as I can.

(y) I was pretty much the same when at the start of 2011 project. It soon comes second nature as time goes on, it is a very important part of these projects too. I completed it last year with such a great team behind me, it looks like this year is going to be just as good. (y)

Thanks Dawn, I'm actually finding it alright at the moment. I'm sure that will change in a few days :) I will certainly give you a shout if I struggle, i could end up with a double butt kicking..;)

:LOL: I am such a sadist, and will take so much pleasure in administration of same

:bat:

Nice Pic Roly an thanks or your help with this. Loking forward to your next picture. Good to see your not smoking keep it up

Thanks Daryl, once we have got you sorted I will move on to spelling lol

Yep still smoke free, have to say my E cigarette is working out really well :)

I've got several ideas for FEAR, hopefully have something up soon :)

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment.

I think this is inspired. Gym pass bang in the front with the fags screwed up and fading into the distance with the JD. I'd maybe like the cig a little more blurred but it is a great take on the theme..

FEAR, as soon as I read this was the theme I wanted to try and tackle the fear a child suffers at the hands of an abusive parent.

Most of our fears are irrational but for a child growing up in this sitaution the fear is very real and often painful. When I was a child time went so slowly, I can only imagine how slow time moves for a child living in this situation.

Obviously my son was not injured or beaten in the making of this image....

FEAR by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

VERSION WITH BORDER

Last edited:
I think it's a great image on a difficult subject, and your son's done a great job too!

Only thing I'd say is that the caption is unnecessary; I think maybe it cheapens it somewhat?

Think im going to report you to the NSPCC, great pic original considering what i have seen on here well done.

Last edited:
I'm guessing he meant NSPCC :LOL:

anyway, love the picture, you should send your son to drama school, what a great little actor :)

I have persuaded my hubby to model for mine lmao

I'm guessing he meant NSPCC :LOL:

anyway, love the picture, you should send your son to drama school, what a great little actor :)

I have persuaded my hubby to model for mine lmao

Thank you for the comment Summer.

Seeing as my Son terrorises Daryl on a regular basis I think he meant RSPCA :)

Prefer it without the caption but I think it's a great pic and good take on the theme!

Thank you Penguin, much appriciate you taking the time to comment :)

Last edited:
I agree now Darren after looking at them both for a while.

I am submitting the unbordered version for this week but have left a link to it for others following this thread.

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

Roly, think this is a superb take on the fear theme. The picture really does tell the story.
There must be thousands of poor kids that suffer violence and abuse at the hands of their parents. How sad,:crying:

keep up the excellent work

A brave take on a difficult subject, thanks Mandy

Thank you Amanda, a very difficult subject and I sketched out a fair few versions before I settled on this. I didn't want to make light on such a subject for the sake of meeting the theme.

Love it. great capture.

Thank you Steve :)

Steve

Roly, think this is a superb take on the fear theme. The picture really does tell the story.
There must be thousands of poor kids that suffer violence and abuse at the hands of their parents. How sad,:crying:

keep up the excellent work

Thank you Steve for your comments, thankfully we all had a good laugh whilst shooting this as too lighten the mood.

Poor kids indeed, I feel for them all it's really something that no kid should ever have to go through :crying:

Good pic but for me I couldn't work out what the blur on the upper left corner was for several moments. I wonder if just a tad less blur would enhance it or not?

It's a similar idea to the one I'm planning to do so great interpretation.

... I wonder if just a tad less blur would enhance it or not?

Looking at it again after reading this comment and I think I agree. I think it conveys the FEAR element well though :grin:

I will take a look at the others I took with less motion later on, as per my sketch it was deliberate to make people focus more on the fear of my son rather than mums hand.

I'm sure as the weeks progress I will get better technically as well as getting ideas from pencil to pixels.

Didn't even think to get the reflector out grrr.

Thanks for all the comments so far, keep them coming :)

Back