weekly DK's 2012 '52' - UPDATED 28-12-12

Edit My Images
Yes
Well here I go then...

After my old Practika BX20 & Canon EOS 500 got put in the loft when my business venture took over my life 27+ years ago, Point & Shoots then a Bridge Camera keeping my interest in fits and spurts - Just

2010 I had a change of focus, a BIG, well HUGE decision to pack in my Company and to Start working for somebody else for the first time in my life. I wanted to spend more time with my family, and have some me time - DSLR time and the interest has came flooding back

After seeing a few of my new online friends starting a challenge I feel an urge to do a 52 challenge this year with the aim of going on to a 365 in 2013

So less of the background garbage... I'm determined to see this all the way through and to actively follow all the other 2012 challenges that are running

Good luck everybody else !!!!

Right, where do I start :thinking:

Week 01 - Direction
Week 02 - FEAR
Week 03 - SIGH
Week 04 - Sweet
Week 05 - Secure
Week 06 - Industry
Week 07 - ROOT
Week 08 - Handmade
Week 09 - Money
Week 10 - WIN
Week 11 - Shiny
Week 12 - Magical
Week 13 - Vice
Week 14 - Entrance
Week 15 - Soft
Week 16 - Pride
Week 17 - Short
Week 18 - Flight
Week 19 - Authority
Week 20 - Leave
Week 21 - Random
Week 22 - Temperature
Week 23 - Abstract
Week 24 - Symmetry
Week 25 - Moody
Week 26 - Joy
Week 27 - Small
Week 28 - Straight
Week 29 - Letter
Week 30 - Contrast
Week 31 - Mineral 1 and 2
Week 32 - Dark
Week 33 - Time
Week 34 - Body
Week 35 - Liquid & Liquid alternate 1
Week 36 - Up
Week 37 - Duo
Week 38 - Flow
Week 39 - Friendship
Week 40 - Change
Week 41 - Natural
Week 42 - Age
Week 43 - Spread
Week 44 - Together
Week 45 - Pack
Week 46 - ART
Week 47 - Colour
Week 48 - Shadow
Week 49 - Glow
Week 50 - Round
Week 51 - Negative
Week 52 - Busy

Last edited:
I'd say get your thinking cap on, week one is nearly over :D

Look forward to seeing your pictures.
Good luck!

I'd say get your thinking cap on, week one is nearly over :D

Look forward to seeing your pictures.
Good luck!
Cheers - Thinking cap is on..... but now off to bed so best I dream of something good :D

Welcome!! Look forward to following your project!! (y)
Cheers Michael (y)

Well, here we go then, I Thought of a great one last night only to find it already done on the flikr group :LOL:

So... my new interpretation of 'Direction' Mankind and Other animals for thousands of years have Navigated and Sought 'Direction' from the Stars - And seems it is also VERY cloudy tonight - A Classic Album sprang to mind

Wk 1 - Direction
by TP DK..., on Flickr

Cheers for looking (y)

A good start to the project :)

Nice audio equipment :D

Good luck with the project!

Good start to your 52 Dean, I like the colours and composition of this but...and its a big BUT, Simply Red, Stars a classic album :cautious:...:LOL:

Nice thought process, I really like reading how people interpret themes.
I always think of songs when I'm photographing.
Good luck on fear!

Did I miss a week somewhere? ;) ;)
Opppps :LOL:

Nice thought process, I really like reading how people interpret themes.
I always think of songs when I'm photographing.
Good luck on fear!
So do I Jay, like to see how minds tick... thanks for the nice comment :)

Last edited:
Hi DK....great start to your project & good to see some out of the box thinking (y)

As already said...bit more player , little less speaker but really like the whole imagae...on theme & well shot :clap:

DIRECTION
I was impressed with the number of arrows to start with, the DOF, clarity of the screen and the colour. But was thinking there must be more to it then I read your description and wow what a deep thought and it all makes sense.

Very creative and a good picture but I needed the discripion for it to click.

Sorry! Don't listen to me "I KNOW NOTHING"

DIRECTION
I was impressed with the number of arrows to start with, the DOF, clarity of the screen and the colour. But was thinking there must be more to it then I read your description and wow what a deep thought and it all makes sense.

Very creative and a good picture but I needed the discripion for it to click.

Sorry! Don't listen to me "I KNOW NOTHING"
Thanks Martin, that's a nicely detailed responce... really appreciated - cheers for the positive comments (y)

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY LAPTOP!!! - my 15yr old daughters main FEAR!!!

After trying all sorts of different themes for Fear - I abandoned my original fist choice and settled for this, out of the dozens of shots we did I didn't get the right combo of Expression and Sharpness as I was wanting, but time is getting short - so posting up and will go for a re-visit on this one :)

wk2 - FEAR

Wk 2 Fear by TP DK..., on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Excellent; my daughter is exactly the same but you could add her mobile to the laptop. You're lucky she'll pose for you. Nice take on the theme.

Excellent; my daughter is exactly the same but you could add her mobile to the laptop. You're lucky she'll pose for you. Nice take on the theme.
Cheers Stephen... yeah mine too BB is stuck to her fingers i'm sure it is :LOL:

Thats a great take on the theme. A great look on the face too. I am viewing on my phone and it looks quite good.
Cheers Michael... Just keep the mobile image in your mind :D

Hi DK,

Love your thinking on week one, stars definately fits with the direction theme. I like the colour, it nicely leads the eye to the focus of the shot.

Great job on the fear theme, the expression says it all, definately screams fear to me.

Carol

Hi DK, super start to the project, nice use of DoF for Direction. Fits the theme but I would of liked to of seen more of the phone/mp3 player.

As for week 2, I think you've nailed it. The image works great, love the black and white and you can really see the fear in her eyes. Well done, keep it up :)

(y)Hi DK, really like fear alot and it's something I think most teenagers can relate to. For my daughter it would be her phone...

Like the mono and lighting and the expression and make up is good. Don't think you need a retake on that one mate

A good take on fear, she certainly looks frightened. Just looks a little soft to me :thinking:

Hi DK

#1 I like the colours and the arrows etc on mp3 player gave me the sense of direction. Had the feeling that the arrows were indicating that the music signal was being directed to the speaker. Did not know the music so a bit lost on your intepretation.

#2 Ideal use of b&w. and good take on theme. Would be nice if both hands were the same - and I prefer the shake of the one on the right i.e. the left hand. If you could replicate the shake would be ex pic.

Hi DK,

Love your thinking on week one, stars definately fits with the direction theme. I like the colour, it nicely leads the eye to the focus of the shot.

Great job on the fear theme, the expression says it all, definately screams fear to me.

Carol
Thanks for the good comments Carol :)

Hi DK, super start to the project, nice use of DoF for Direction. Fits the theme but I would of liked to of seen more of the phone/mp3 player.

As for week 2, I think you've nailed it. The image works great, love the black and white and you can really see the fear in her eyes. Well done, keep it up :)
Cheers Ben... I keep meaning to try a different shot on the first, byt as usual will probably never do it :D

Thanks for the good comments (y)

(y)Hi DK, really like fear alot and it's something I think most teenagers can relate to. For my daughter it would be her phone...

Like the mono and lighting and the expression and make up is good. Don't think you need a retake on that one mate
Cheers Roly, really appreciate the comments (y)

A good take on fear, she certainly looks frightened. Just looks a little soft to me :thinking:
I tend to agree :D I had lots of sharper shots but the expression was not right, so in the end went for the best expression :)

Hi DK

#1 I like the colours and the arrows etc on mp3 player gave me the sense of direction. Had the feeling that the arrows were indicating that the music signal was being directed to the speaker. Did not know the music so a bit lost on your intepretation.

#2 Ideal use of b&w. and good take on theme. Would be nice if both hands were the same - and I prefer the shake of the one on the right i.e. the left hand. If you could replicate the shake would be ex pic.
Cheers Alan thanks for taking the time to comment in such depth (y)

I too would love to have seen the movement in both hands, at first I wanted them both still but once B&W I really preferred the movement

Cheers again guys for commenting :)

Your fear pic is awesome! Love the moving hands...
Instantly recognised emotion...

Good work!

Hi,

Direction - I like what you've done here, a different take to what most other people did.

Fear - Wow. I really don't think you need to go back and reshoot this one -- it's excellent already!

Thought I had stopped by already!

Excellent facial expression. Like it! Hope you didnt really take the laptop :)
Hahaaaa... I do get tempted to take it at times :D

No worries at stopping by, there are so many of us it's impossible to stop at all the time, if your passing again please do stop by lol

Thought I had done a visit.
Direction - nice pic, bang on theme.
Fear - love it, fits theme very well.

Ps loved the background story.
Cheers Darren - thanks for the positive comments... as above about the visits :)

Your fear pic is awesome! Love the moving hands...
Instantly recognised emotion...

Good work!
Cheers Jay :)

Plus one for fear, well taken!
Thanks Paul :)

Hi,

Direction - I like what you've done here, a different take to what most other people did.

Fear - Wow. I really don't think you need to go back and reshoot this one -- it's excellent already!
Hi Nathalie, thanks for the positive comments Really appreciated :)

THANKS everybody that has taken the time to comment, really REALLY appreciated, I know it is hard to get by and comment with so many running at the moment :)

If I have missed anybody please feel free to shout :D

Direction : An interesting idea... I like the image, and with the explanation it fits nicely.

Fear : Spot on... works superbly in mono.

Fear is absolutely brilliant.
How did you manage to persuade her to pose for that? I know at that age I would never have faced a camera unless my make-up was perfect . . . maybe you really did threaten to confiscate her laptop :cautious:

As said a great take on the theme, and just that minor niggle with the blur being in only one hand.
For my tastes I think that her eyes could stand a little more sharpening in PP and I'd like a little contrast boost, but since nobody else has mentioned it maybe it's just me :shrug:

My turn to stop by,,,,

Direction, nicely taken, the colours are sharp and like how it all ties in,

Fear,,, i can just hear her screaming no Dad!!!!

Back