weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Edit My Images
Yes
Well here we go again... and thanks for visiting my new thread :)

2015's 52 is yet to finish but 2016's threads are rumbling in the background... so I wanted to post this up and show my early commitment for the next years TP52 project !!!

It will be year 5 for me, and I'm sure it will be a busy year with everyday work and life commitments as usual, but again as I have been every year determined to keep as up to date as I can so I can keep my hobby ticking along year round with this project as a bare minimum :)

2015 has been scatty for me as I predicted, but with any luck I will be moved home and settled in time for the 2016 '52 <touch wood>

Rule wise I'm keeping it simple as always, same rules as the previous years

MY RULES

I will again allow myself No 'Jokers' and will submit a correct pic for each theme... minor 'shoehorns' or even 'crowbarred' shots permitting :D
  • I will try to post my photo's in the correct week :cautious:
  • I will complete all themes including 're-shoot' weeks
  • I will try and comment on as many 52 threads as possible, but as all 52'ers know, that's sometimes easier said than done
Good luck everybody - Let the Nightmare continue Fun Begin

Week 00 - OLD
Week 01 - Metal
Week 02 - Captive
Week 03 - Miniature
Week 04 - Happy
Week 05 - Abandoned
Week 06 - Camouflage
Week 07 - Danger (ous)

Week 08 - Topical
Week 09 - The Living World
Week 10 - Spiky
Week 10 - Re-Shoot 'Metal'

Week 11 - Artificial
Week 12 - Personal
Week 13 - Effort
Week 14 - Technology
Week 15 - Horizontal
Week 16 - Vast
Week 17 - Rough
Week 18 - Covered
Week 19 - Colouful
Week 20 - Entrance
Week 21 - SIZE
Week 22 - Forgotten
Week 23 - Stone
Week 24 - Simple
Week 25 - Re-Shoot 'Rough'

Week 25 - Sign
Week 26 - Flora
Week 27 - Activity
Week 28 - Life
Week 29 - Hidden
Week 30 - Lone(ly)
Week 31 - Fauna
Week 32 - Static
Week 33 - Game
Week 34 - Serene
Week 35 - Black and White
Week 36 - Ancient
Week 37 - Urban
Week 38 - Re-Shoot 'Captive'

Week 38 - Pairs(s)
Week 39 - BIG
Week 40 - After
Week 41 - Alien
Week 42 - Liquid
Week 43 - Cracked
Week 44 - Spooky

Week 44 - Re-shoot 'Abandoned'
Week 45 - Pose
Week 46 - News
Week 47 - Young
Week 48 - Cultural
Week 49 - Arranged
Week 50 - Male and Female
Week 51 - Out and About
Week 52 -

Last edited:
Hi, nice, clean first submission, Dean, and welcome back.

Cheers.

51j8c2%2Bgs-L._SY300_.jpg

Ohhh...vinyl, 78s, arms, stylus...I got a thrill yesterday when my son asked me to set up the Marantz record player that I got him for Xmas. Hitting the play button, I loved watching the arm raise, move across and the needle hitting the vinyl. I even hung around to watch the arm lift and return to position once the first side was over.

I got the same warm feeling looking at this image, there's just something fantastic about a set up such as this. Really nice capture!

Nice record shot Dean
( Sorry :coat: ) :D

Great idea for an opener (y)

Hi DK, nice idea though for me the arm lets it down a little as it doesn't look that old, have you not got an old gramophone knocking round the house :p

Ohhh...vinyl, 78s, arms, stylus...I got a thrill yesterday when my son asked me to set up the Marantz record player that I got him for Xmas. Hitting the play button, I loved watching the arm raise, move across and the needle hitting the vinyl. I even hung around to watch the arm lift and return to position once the first side was over.
I know what you mean... I still have loads of my original vinyl records (mainly punk stuff) and can't wait to get set up again if I ever move :D

I got the same warm feeling looking at this image, there's just something fantastic about a set up such as this. Really nice capture!
Thank you David :)

Really like this interpretation. The inclusion of the tone arm and head-shell make the shot for sure. Good start!
Cheers Jason :)

Nice record shot Dean
( Sorry :coat: ) :D
:LOL:

Great idea for an opener (y)
Than you Chris :)

Hi DK, nice idea though for me the arm lets it down a little as it doesn't look that old, have you not got an old gramophone knocking round the house :p
Ermmmm funnily enough no :D

Cheers Allan :)

Well done but I do tend to agree with Allan abut the arm, although my kids would think any arm looks old, I don't think they have ever seen one working (y)

Well done but I do tend to agree with Allan abut the arm, although my kids would think any arm looks old, I don't think they have ever seen one working (y)
Thanks Chris :)

I didn't even think about the look of the arm... although it is about 30 years old it does look VERY plastic :D

Hi.
What's a 78? Much too young to remember those ;)
Yeah right :whistle:
Nice shallow depth of field.
Thanks Anita :)

Hi DK ....wish I was too young to remember them ...I still treasure my Teddy Bears Picnic :D
Ha haaaaa :snigger:

Super shot for the theme with a real nostalgic feel.
Thanks Susie :)

So what is it ?
:D

lol, i jest - very nice I did think about digging some vinyl out but none were really "appropriate" for the theme
Great minds eye Jon !!! - Thanks :)

Good start Dean, like the shallow dof and the focus point.
Cheers Stan :)

I wasn't sure whether to do narrow or deep, I decided on narrow in the end as vinyl is very popular again at the moment so it could have been new at first glance :)

Really like the shallow DoF, great shot!
Thanks Sam :)

Interesting shot, like the angle, and dof,
Wish i had my old vinyl, and dansette record player,
Thanks Walter :) - I'm glad I kept all mine, although I did think about just getting rid of several times when sorting the loft... the 78's were my father-in-laws, he left them to me as he knew I kept mine :)

Good shot there DK, and I think wise to blur the arm, as it is obviously of a different era to the shellac.
I like the framing with the spindle offset to the left balanced by the arm coming in from the right and the colours look true to my eye (I suspect that an auto WB would not have sufficed).:clap:

Good grief - didn't the player come with a crank handle too ?!? Sorry for the late response - didn't realise TP52 had re-started. Well done Dean.

Good shot there DK, and I think wise to blur the arm, as it is obviously of a different era to the shellac.
Cheers Tim :)
I like the framing with the spindle offset to the left balanced by the arm coming in from the right and the colours look true to my eye (I suspect that an auto WB would not have sufficed).:clap:
Thanks... yes I did compose it to get the arm coming in from the top corner, and getting the speed '78' in the top LH thirds to hopefully catch the eye :pompous:

Its a bit like a cd....
In that it has music on it yes :D

I love this - perfect for the theme and reminds me of the huge radiogram and 78s of Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughan that my dad gave me as a kid. Not what the rest of my mates were listening to at the time! Nice composition and good use of dof.
Thank you Emma :)

Good grief - didn't the player come with a crank handle too ?!? Sorry for the late response - didn't realise TP52 had re-started. Well done Dean.
LOL... Thanks Carl :D

Nice start DK. Spot on theme and I like the composition. I might have extended the DoF to include the logo and words 'His Masters Voice' too though.
Thanks Lee :)

I did try one like that but it brought the arm too much in focus too, so settled for narrow :)

And onto this weeks...

I did pop out today to specifically get a shot for the theme, but as mentioned elsewhere so will not drag it out, I spent hours out taking shots of the local seal pups and got on;y a couple of shots for the theme out of in excess of 400 images :whistle:

So here are ALL my efforts, I did find a third shot that I took whilst doing the sels too but it's not that interesting.... but I'm including it anyway, so here I give you -

Week 1 - Metal (as always best viewed large on Flickr)

'Thing' ... no idea what this is (possibly part of an old buoy ??) I just liked how it stood out from the dunes...

Wk 1 - Metal by TP DK, on Flickr

'Gate' ... I liked this as I liked the rusty colours and also I thought the shapes looked a tad like my forum 'dk' name :D

Wk 1 - Metal 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

'And the last one... just scrap metal washed ashore, soooo annoying the crap we find on our beaches :(

Wk 1 - Metal 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for visiting all :)

#2 for me, seems to say metal more strongly that the others and I like the colours and textures

Nice use of complimentary colours colours in #1 DK, but I'm a sucker for shallow D0F shots and the texture of the rusty metal on the gates is really strong. Not really feeling the love for the Seal shot though.
So #2 for me.

Hi, Dean, #1 for me, by a long way.

#2 has a distracting BG and my eyes can't seem to rest anywhere in #3.

#1 had a dreamy feel about it. The red really pops out and I sense not much PPing has been done, which is always good. I'd like to see a longer exposure to get some movement into the grass and clouds to really make the red thingy pop more.

Good show.

Cheers.

Last edited:
HI DK. I too like #1 - not because it screams Metal, which #2 does most effectively of course, but because of it is a complete photograph in the sense that it has a specific point of interest, complimentary colours interacting and lovely details that occupies a viewers eyes. Spot on :clap:

I like 1 & 2, with 2 being my favourite.

Lots of detail captured and I like how the background changes at the join of the gate.

Hi Dk, No1 for me I like the random piece of metal in the sand it makes me wonder why its there, well spotted

Back