weekly Ratman's 52 week challange 2012 Week 10 'Win' Added MONEY NOW ADDED :)

Thank you Martin & Simon for taking the time to comment :)

It was quite difficult to capture, harder than I thought it would be, my son is well into his Karate and he kept trying to block his Mum's hand and the more I pointed it out the more he found it funny and didn't have the fear look on him, still the only thing it cost me was another lego figure..lol

Roly, a very disturbing subject and I think that you have captured the element of fear very well and your little lad gets a new Lego kit -everyones a winner !

I think it's a very good image and one which could highlight the plight of some unfortunate children. Why not send a copy and a covering letter to the NSPCC ?

Look forward to seeing your next 50 (y)

Well done, you obviously gave thought to the theme and represented it well, I do agree with the blurred arm being a bit too strong but still a good pic.

Once again thank you for all the comments, I am very appreciative of any feedback I recieve and try to learn from it. So please keep it coming.

Here is a edited version of my fear picture, with a lot less motion blur on the arm.

Let me know which version you prefer.

Week 2 Fear (Edited) by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

On reflection I think I prefer the new version, I suppose with taking and editing the image I knew that it was a arm but can now see how it took others a while to get it.....:bonk:

Roly, I have to say, of the images I have seen so far on this week's theme, yours is my favourite. I think it's very strong, especially the most recent edit. Great job!

Great shots on a difficult theme, well done. As for my favourite I think it's the first shot. I like the fact that it is not clear as to what is in the top of the shot. It could be a hand or something much worse. Your sons expression conveys the theme without needing the detail in the top of the screen.

Plus I think the hand in the second shot takes up too much of the shot and takes away the emphasis from your son. (y)

Out of the 2 Roly, I think your edited version is better as the arm is more defined.

I'm still on the fence I think, I prefer the implied violence of the first one where the second one to me is more the threat of it. Hope that makes sense.

For me #2 tells the story more plainly, but #1 is the better photo.
Really impressive the level of work that has gone into the photo-shoot and compliments to the model.

Thank you, I have thanked him in lego which he was impressed with but he was more impressed that his photo was on the internet, bless it's the simple tings when you're 8...lol

Hey.

Just checked out both weeks pictures. Really like them both, good work so far! I think the fear one is especially good. Prefer the first version of it though, Lighting is very good.

I think if I were to reshoot at some point I would introduce a little bit of fill flash to his face but not too much as I think the shadows add to the mood.

This was all natural light from a window, I have got a flash but it's got to be 20 years old now and not really worth the batteries it contains. Think I may need to invest in a decent flash for later weeks.

Again thank you all for taking the time to comment (y)

Well done, you obviously gave thought to the theme and represented it well, I do agree with the blurred arm being a bit too strong but still a good pic.

Sorry Gramps didn't see your comment creep in lol

Thanks for taking the time, do you prefer the new edit?

I like the edit version (y)

I prefer the original (minus text). The new one looks too staged I think, not subtle enough.

Trying to catch up on threads.

Direction - i would like to see the first image in the lighing of the 2nd (if you get what i mean :thinking:). The composition and DOF is better in the first IMO and love the idea of new and bright to the front and dark and old to the back.

Fear - Great take on the theme and well executed. I liked the first one but the newer one gives a better idea on the object of fear.

look forward to the next 50 weeks

wardie

I prefer the second image. It's quite powerful and a very good take on fear.

A strong thought provoking photograph Roly, your lad certainly portrays that sense of fear. I am going to sit on the fence and say either image works equally well. I could see the arm in #1 and felt it wasn't so blurred as to have me wondering. A good start to your 52 (y) Iain

Hi Roly
Keep looking at your 2 pictures really like the first one although I would have liked the hand to be seen better as shown in your edit but I think one in the middle of the two shots would be better still. :clap:
Only my opinion
Trevor

HI Roly....finally find your thread...sorry it's taken me sooo long to pop in :crying:

Direction....

1st off...congrats on binning the ciggies( I keep trying n failin...well a girls gotta have 1 bad habit :LOL: )
I liked the original shot but then took a peek on flickr...Direction 3 ( which I think you posted up as well ) is my prefered version...a bit more detail in the glass ( JD...yum yum) & the gym card more forward def work better...like the mono but can't help wondering about a color version ? Still...good thinking , right on theme & well shot :clap:

Fear.....2 quite strong powerful images...again like the mono & your son's a little star for helping Dad :clap: The 2 nd version feels better for me as it's very clear that it's hand...just a shame you clipped the finger tips but thats just a monor crit. Great image...very well shot...good work mister :clap:

Wow just when I thought I was done on this thread for the week...lol

I won't thank you all individually as it would take for ever, but thank you all for popping past and taking the time to comment. I think I have done most people but I will be catching up with you all later in the week

Seems to be a fairly even split all in between the two versions.

Having had time to sit an really look at both images I think I agree with Zeb, I would like to of got something between the two versions.

I have to say I am pleased so far with how the 52 is going as I am really out of my comfort zone, like I said a few posts back give me a motorbike or lady bird and I know what I like to see but still life and people are a different ball game.

Cheers All :)

I prefer your second 'fear' shot. Can't put my finger on why, except that the hand is much clearer (Could have been a football or object in the first). The framing is very good, looking down at the child, making the viewer feel as guilty as the attacker.

The original works for me, had to think about it a bit. The second is too obvious so to speak

Direction, i like the way its personal to you, picture is well executed, i'd print that one to keep me on the straight and narrow when things get tough.

Fear have looked at both edits and think i also prefer the second version, its a very powerful image, the fact that the arm is defined, to me gives it its depth.

Will look forward to seeing the rest of your 52

Last edited:
Hi Roly, another good interpretation of theme 1, direction, as for Fear, stunning ! Well thought out and well executed, very emotive.
Massive praise for the lad too because his expression is just perfect and makes the shot.
Definately my favourite of all the 52 submissions i have seen so far.
Well done and good luck with the other 50 :)
Best wishes
Cliff

Hi Roly,

I like your take on the direction, b&w works very well in this shot, I can't add any more to what has already been said.

Your take on Fear is excellent, sobering and thought provoking, a strong image. Well done

Carol

Back