weekly Nikon_Nick's 52 Week Challenge: Week 12 - Magical - Added

Love your take on this week's theme, excellent shot.

Looking forward to seeing your of your work.

Many thanks Simon (y) I have to admit, ive been a little suprised at how positive the comments have been for this shot :thinking:

I'm liking sigh. Nice composition and well exposed. The dark elbow doesn't concern be because it draws me into your face. Not keen on the net curtains being closed and I feel you could have got a bit more of a sign expression.

None the less...well done.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. My first thought was to open the nets, but the light coming through the window was so harsh, I thought they may actually help to diffuse it a little...still undecided :shrug:

I did also consider 'acting' a little more for the shot, but was afraid it might just end up looking a little cheesy, and a lot more posed...if that makes sense :thinking:

Thanks for your comments

Self portrait idea really good, tried it once failed miserbly. Great start to the challenge

regards

Like the paper idea, agree with what's been said about it being a bit too clean though.

I have a massive irrational dislke of pretty much all "people shots" inc portraits and self-portraits tbh but it def fits the theme and doesn't look "self-portraity" so I'd say it's a good shot.

Direction : Very nicely done... love the texture showing through

Fear : I like it, the composition is good, but I think the paper looks a bit too pristine for the grunge look... perhaps trampled and damp would work better ??

Sigh : Excellent... an SP is hard to do, and you've done that well... a very wistful look about you ... so fits the theme to my eyes

Like the paper idea, agree with what's been said about it being a bit too clean though.

I have a massive irrational dislke of pretty much all "people shots" inc portraits and self-portraits tbh but it def fits the theme and doesn't look "self-portraity" so I'd say it's a good shot.

:D cheers! Why the dislike of people photos?

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Direction : Very nicely done... love the texture showing through

Fear : I like it, the composition is good, but I think the paper looks a bit too pristine for the grunge look... perhaps trampled and damp would work better ??

Sigh : Excellent... an SP is hard to do, and you've done that well... a very wistful look about you ... so fits the theme to my eyes

Thanks very much for all your comments, and thanks for taking the time (y)

A lovely self portrait with super lighting that makes it for me!

It def shows 'sigh' and could cover so many different sighs! Well done on a difficult theme!

A lovely self portrait with super lighting that makes it for me!

It def shows 'sigh' and could cover so many different sighs! Well done on a difficult theme!

Thanks Sarah, appreciate that ;)

Decided to have a bit of fun with this one, as I couldnt really think of anything serious :D

This could be for Transformers 4, so if anyone has film title suggestions...lets hear them!!

If you hadnt guessed, the black transformer is standing on sugar cubes so I get brownie points for staying on theme...sort of :D

6762574275_dc01502f8c_z.jpg

Battle of Sugar Cube Mountain :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I like this am all for a bit of fun, and this is fun, the only minor crit is that theres not enough contrast between the sugar cubes and the white background and they fade into it a lot, have no idea how you would get round this other than to use a different coloured base.

Battle of Sugar Cube Mountain :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I like this am all for a bit of fun, and this is fun, the only minor crit is that theres not enough contrast between the sugar cubes and the white background and they fade into it a lot, have no idea how you would get round this other than to use a different coloured base.

Thanks Lizzy. I know what you mean regarding the background, and unfortunately, I didnt have anything else to use. I just tried to strike a balanace as best as possible.

Great film title by the way :D

Like the idea, well staged - I agree about the lack of contrast in the sugar cubes but I can't immediately come up with an answer either.

Week 5 already...good God!!

Anyway, this is my take on this weeks theme 'Secure'. I took this because it is the place that ive always personally felt most secure, and I got a feeling from my sleeping girlfriends face that she was very snug and comfortable and secure also.

Id just like to apologise to everyone that I havent done a lot of commenting over the last week or so. Ive been SO busy, but I will comment on as many shots as possible :)

6803610459_affc7c1448_z.jpg

Fear – Nice idea. I like the angle you’ve taken it at

Sigh – I really like the self portrait. You’ve handled this well.

Sweet – Nice shot bring a smile to my face

Secure - Fits the theme well.

Don't apologise for a lack of commenting. We all get busy and as you can see I'm in catch up mode this week.

Sweet - I like this idea for the theme, I don't mind the white background but do find the fold/line where it meets a little distracting! One thing I have found doing this challenge is that lighting white backgrounds is not as easy as I thought!!:)

Secure - Good interpretation of the theme again, I hope this doesn't give Peter ideas of taking pics of me asleep!!:eek: The lighting looks good and it works well in black and white!

Cracking take on secure matey. Hey no need to apologise for lack of commenting too, it's blimmin' hard keeping up with everyone's threads ;)

Sarah, Richard, Simon and Trevor, many thanks for taking the time to comment, it is very much appreciated.

I have to say, although we are only 5 weeks in, im really enjoying the challenge of the '52'. Its making me think about shots that I would never normally take (all 5 so far :D), and im really glad I decided to take it on! (y)

Thanks again ;)

bang on theme this week, i also think a slightly tighter crop may have worked better

Hi, sorry I've no been here before. I really really like your self portrait for sigh. A truly difficult thing to do so well done with that. I'm sorry to say your sweet battle doesn't appeal to me, I don't know why. Your secure though is very nice and I absolutely agree with your rationale. Lovely shot but you may be in the mire when she finds out you've taken secret shots while she was asleep..

Hi, yeah, nowt more secure than a snug, safe bed. There's quite a a bit of space on the right. Her face is nicely framed.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, I do wish I had croppped this a little, but hey ho! Here to learn afterall (y)

Last edited:
Secure - love the shot, love the idea behind the theme.
I think it would look even better with your arm over her - on top of the covers.

Cheers buddy; yep, like the idea of having my arm over her. Not sure if id get away with doing this again though :D

Your nice lady looks well snug, if your not secure asleep in bed you never will be - Great idea Nick (y)

Cheers (y) Many thanks for taking the time to comment, she likes bed just as much as I do...id live there if I could !

Last edited:
Back