weekly Superpippo's 52's for 2012 -Week 52 Busy added THE END

That works ... but from a different angle maybe a good DOF example could have been obtained

Good work Alan, but as Gramps said maybe a different dof may enhance the image. Iain

Thanks both. Interesting comments. Are you both saying that I might have opted for a large aperture in order to highlight parts of the image and subsume the rest? Because I opted for a small aperture in order to ensure that both items were as sharp as possible because the beads are so small. Or have I misunderstood?

superpippo said:
Are you both saying that I might have opted for a large aperture in order to highlight parts of the image and subsume the rest?
Yes I think that's what they're saying.

As it is everything is in focus and looks good from a product point of view. But there seems nothing to draw the eye from a photographic point of view, if that makes sense? So reducing the DOF will focus the eye and add a little depth

Of course I could be talking complete nonsense:nuts: Lets see what others think?

Did you say your misses made these? They are impressive, she must have great patience!

Yes I think that's what they're saying.

As it is everything is in focus and looks good from a product point of view. But there seems nothing to draw the eye from a photographic point of view, if that makes sense? So reducing the DOF will focus the eye and add a little depth

Of course I could be talking complete nonsense:nuts: Lets see what others think?

Did you say your misses made these? They are impressive, she must have great patience!

Thanks Marsha. (y) I take your point - I am grateful when constructive comment is made. I think that I will have another go later in the week, back on decorating for another 2 days now:)

And yes these are homemade, my wife's 2 hobbies are beading and quilting - hence the D700 sewing/embroidery machine exhibited earlier.

Industry – I like #1 – It’s well seen. #2 shouts handmade to me but then again you didn’t know that was about to come up a couple of weeks later

Root – Nice idea and well executed

Handmade - I agree with Marsha I think a shallower depth of field may help bring interest

Handmade

Taking account of the comments so far (thanks to all for those) I have had a quick reshoot to gauge whether it can be made better.

#2 Handmade

DSC_0082_470x470_.jpg

Hi Alan I like the way you are thinking outside the box for most of the pics it is really hard sometimes to not do the obvious.

Hi Alan

great idea for Handmade....looks incredibly fiddly so your OH must have the patience of a saint :)

1st image....quite like the lightness of this....only niggle is the top BG being a different color to the base & the crease line on the base...sort those & I think it'd work better...maybe :thinking:

2nd image I also like for the contrast with the black BG & the different angle (y) Maybe clone the lower black area to match the top , move the 2nd & 3rd items slightly closer ( or lose the 3rd altogether)....just a thought (y)

Hi Alan I like the way you are thinking outside the box for most of the pics it is really hard sometimes to not do the obvious.

Thanks - make sure you keep on with the Challenge as it is really quite enjoyable.

Hi Alan

great idea for Handmade....looks incredibly fiddly so your OH must have the patience of a saint :)

1st image....quite like the lightness of this....only niggle is the top BG being a different color to the base & the crease line on the base...sort those & I think it'd work better...maybe :thinking:

2nd image I also like for the contrast with the black BG & the different angle (y) Maybe clone the lower black area to match the top , move the 2nd & 3rd items slightly closer ( or lose the 3rd altogether)....just a thought (y)

Thanks for the constructive comments - ideas that I will need to take into account for the future.

You should of said you were up my way could of popped in for a brew! Some good shots there. Don't know why but I'm always reluctant to say money shot!

I like those a lot as images, but I think only the second one is on theme (and as it happens has the best composition as well). I know the other two mention money, but the references are so well hidden that you lose the meaning.

That's especially true of the first one I think, as your eye is drawn to the "first you forget….." quote IMHO; a crop might help that one a lot?

There is certainly money in comedy. Out of those pics, I prefer number 1 for its overall composition. The legs are a little annoying, but that is minor. Great shot.

Thanks. I took a few shots and this one was the best in composition, even tho the legs got in the way. I could not avoid the shadow from the lighting standard cos of sunshine.

You should of said you were up my way could of popped in for a brew! Some good shots there. Don't know why but I'm always reluctant to say money shot!

I live in Ansdell and dance at Tower so often in Blackpool. I was sure that I could find something appropriate on the carpet.

I like those a lot as images, but I think only the second one is on theme (and as it happens has the best composition as well). I know the other two mention money, but the references are so well hidden that you lose the meaning.

That's especially true of the first one I think, as your eye is drawn to the "first you forget….." quote IMHO; a crop might help that one a lot?

Good points. I agree about #2 - that is the one that I could get the best angle on and the light was in the right direction. But I preferred the Marx Bros joke:D.. I could not crop them any more as that would have left me with very narrow, wide images - and I did want to include the Carpet context.

Thanks for the comments - pleased that you like them anyway. There were many people on the Carpet that day and there was a group of 3 ladies who were crying with mirth at some of the jokes.

For those who have not seen it this is a brilliant pic published in the Guardian newspaper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-northerner/2011/oct/11/blackpool-comedy-carpet

Handmade - would like to see the bracelets a bit closer, the space in the bottom left is distracting (on the edit). Agree with gramps, it works but I would place with the angles a tiny bit more.

Money - Great shots and a nice variation on the theme.

I probably free you have to work at seeing the connection but they are well taken. I've driven past this a few times now but not got out to have a closer look.

HI Alan

very original idea for money.....had to chuckle reading through them :)

of the 3 I prefer the 2nd for context to the theme but having said that the
3rd image , about the c/card also works...in fact , 2nd thoughts...#3 takes top spot for me...simpler framing , nice n straight with good focus ...nice work mister (y)

Week 10 - Win

Took this last saturday at a local league match. My first attempt at sports and I am pretty pleased with it. Lot of detail in the pic but that is what I was trying to achieve. The man winning the ball, the concentration of the players and the attention of the crowd staring into the sun.

Learning points included getting in the right position, use of burst mode, trying to ensure that the ball was in hand (quite a few where the ball is in the air or not even visible), fast shutter speed.

And finally, and this is why it has taken me so long to post, sizing it to fit the file size requirements without being tiny on the screen. Thanks go to Mike (mjthome) who gave me good instruction as to how to resize.(y)

P1010681_final1.jpg

Handmade - would like to see the bracelets a bit closer, the space in the bottom left is distracting (on the edit). Agree with gramps, it works but I would place with the angles a tiny bit more.

Money - Great shots and a nice variation on the theme.

Point well made and taken - thanks

I probably free you have to work at seeing the connection but they are well taken. I've driven past this a few times now but not got out to have a closer look.

It's a good piece of artwork. Makes a lot of people smile

Hi Alan.

I think your second handmade shot works better now.

Money - Number two for me, like others have said 'money' is obvious from the other two.

But all still excellent and original.

Thanks.

HI Alan

very original idea for money.....had to chuckle reading through them :)

of the 3 I prefer the 2nd for context to the theme but having said that the
3rd image , about the c/card also works...in fact , 2nd thoughts...#3 takes top spot for me...simpler framing , nice n straight with good focus ...nice work mister (y)

Thanks - I still don't know which i like the best :thinking:- I like them all for different reasons

You've caught this one just at right time. I would maybe have preferred to have this taken from this side of the pitch so the background was more oof. Where the game is played on the pitch is beyond your control though. Spot on theme.

Win....cracker. Well composed, exposed and although I wasn't keen on the spectators being in focus, drawing away from the main subject, the fact they are squinting and shading their eyes from the sun really rescues this.

Very well done (y)

Win - Ha - that is the shot I set out to try and capture.
But like you I was hampered by the sun and could only shoot when the play was in certain areas of the pitch. There was one suitable line-out and I missed the shot! Anyway - niced shot - captures the mood well. Mike

I really like your win shot. Yes, it's busy but you've got a lot of action going on. And like others have said, the spectators all shielding there eyes really add to the atmosphere!

Sporting events are always difficult to catch. I bet if you hadn't had your camera there would have been the best line out ever right in front of you!

That's a great capture shot for win :) It's a bit busy but that's the nature of the beast with rugby

You've caught this one just at right time. I would maybe have preferred to have this taken from this side of the pitch so the background was more oof. Where the game is played on the pitch is beyond your control though. Spot on theme.

Win....cracker. Well composed, exposed and although I wasn't keen on the spectators being in focus, drawing away from the main subject, the fact they are squinting and shading their eyes from the sun really rescues this.

Very well done (y)

Win - Ha - that is the shot I set out to try and capture.
But like you I was hampered by the sun and could only shoot when the play was in certain areas of the pitch. There was one suitable line-out and I missed the shot! Anyway - niced shot - captures the mood well. Mike

I really like your win shot. Yes, it's busy but you've got a lot of action going on. And like others have said, the spectators all shielding there eyes really add to the atmosphere!

Sporting events are always difficult to catch. I bet if you hadn't had your camera there would have been the best line out ever right in front of you!

Win - what a great capture.

Win, great timing with that. You have pulled of a great pic. Well done.

Thanks to all fo you for the kind comments - got what I thought was an excellent one from the side - lots of colour,stretched out line, two groups jumping, concentration on faces, hands ready to grasp.... ball out of shot above the frame:bonk:

Week 11 - Shiny

Indoors again but with recently purchased tripod made it a bit easier.

Part of My favourite collection

Top to bottom for those interested
Vecchietti Nettuna Superba No581/911 - Bologna
Parker Duofold - marble vein - Birmingham
Visconti Voyager Eclipse Grey Marble - Milan

P1010723_edited-1.jpg

as above but with the addition of
Parker Duofold - Blue quartz (on left)
Stipula Isola Stromboli no 29/40 (second from right)

P1010726_edited-1.jpg

Prefer #1 as pic but was having great fun photographing them

Edit to take account of Southdowns comments
P1010726edit2_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh those are nice! I especially like #2 as I think it's a nicer composition and I like the colours, though it does need a slight CC rotation.

Nicely exposed, lit and focussed, and great background :)

They both work very and your edit is spot on, lots of colour and detail and you have nailed the exposure, picky bit is the right pens markings make it look like it’s cracked.

Hi there, playing catch up again....

Handmade - good shots and bang on theme, as others have mentioned maybe just a little closer to the bracelets would improve them.

Money - love the complete set of pics, dof of focus spot on and a unique take on the theme. The idea of a comedy carpet makes me chuckle :)

Win - again spot on, bang on theme.

Shiny - I too like all 3 shots, but just leaning more towards the edit of the 2nd shot, solely for the rang in colours, but still cracking shots fella (y)

Nice capture with win. Shiny, I prefer the second set of pens if I'm honest.

Great work all round in the thread.

Matt

Very nice set Alan, I like the layout used in #1 and the edit of #2.

Ta. I like #1 cos the nibs a are shinier and the curve of them seems more highlighted

They both work very and your edit is spot on, lots of colour and detail and you have nailed the exposure, picky bit is the right pens markings make it look like it’s cracked.

Yes I see what you mean about the black vein in the marbling.

Now they look like VERY posh fountain pens!

Isn't this challenge amazing, everybody's hobbies and collections make an appearance somewhere!

I think they're all beautifully shot, with great detail and lighting(y)

Thank you. Nice to have some posh stuff:D

Shiny

Like all 3 shots, very nice set of pens.
if i am not mistaken a very expensive set of pens, you must love to write with them.

Yes, when I worked I would take a different one at the beginning of each week until it ran out of ink and then take a fresh one. I collected them to use rather than to look at. Many are Italian, bought in Bologna, Milan, Rome, Lucca. If it was a choice between them and the cameras, they would win(y)

Hi there, playing catch up again....

Handmade - good shots and bang on theme, as others have mentioned maybe just a little closer to the bracelets would improve them.

Money - love the complete set of pics, dof of focus spot on and a unique take on the theme. The idea of a comedy carpet makes me chuckle :)

Win - again spot on, bang on theme.

Shiny - I too like all 3 shots, but just leaning more towards the edit of the 2nd shot, solely for the rang in colours, but still cracking shots fella (y)

Thanks for the kind comments

Nice capture with win. Shiny, I prefer the second set of pens if I'm honest.

Great work all round in the thread.

Matt

Thanks Matt

A great set of photographs of the fountain pens Alan. They are lovely objects, very photogenic whilst being practical. I particularly like #1 for its simplicity in composition, I find the others a little busy. You have handled the lighting well on these too, with the many shiny surfaces to handle. All round good work. (y) Iain

Back