weekly Superpippo's 52's for 2012 -Week 52 Busy added THE END

Sigh - #2 for me but just needed to get the toes in the frame

Sweet - #1 on this theme. Nicely set up and good lighting. Again an element out of the frame I’m afraid.

Secure – As said the exposure has been handled well.

Hi ya

Secure....like your thinking...though I have no idea what Freeds are??

Well lit , good skin tones :clap: how long did you spend polishing those ?:LOL:

Oooo they're very shiny shoes.

I am amazed at the variety of ideas coming out for secure, this one is another excellent and very simple idea. Quite difficult lighting with dark shoes on a light carpet but I think you've done well, nice skin tone on the hands too(y)

Thank you. I am happy with the tones too.

Sigh - #2 for me but just needed to get the toes in the frame

Sweet - #1 on this theme. Nicely set up and good lighting. Again an element out of the frame I’m afraid.

Secure – As said the exposure has been handled well.

Ta - point well taken about framing . Spot on comment

Hi ya

Secure....like your thinking...though I have no idea what Freeds are??

Well lit , good skin tones :clap: how long did you spend polishing those ?:LOL:

Again thank you - Freed make dance shoes (ballet, jazz. tap etc) and these are my patent dance shoes - so no polishing required:D I got the idea for tying shoes almost immediately I saw the theme and toyed with the idea of a pair of walking shoes with their thick heavy laces but I like my dance shoes so much that I had to get them in somewhere.:)

Secure-not much to say-spot on exposure, different take on secure- like it a lot.(y)

Industry

I have not yet implemented my first thought but I have been looking through some recent stuff and I thought that this would be a good image to upload now with a view to completing my idea later in the week. Lovely old building in Hamburg with indstry as its bedrock

DSC_0561_400x328_.jpg

I like the Hamburg shot a lot but my first idea was to illustrate the industry of my wife as she engages in her favourite hobby. I have lost count of the hours that we have spent in fabric shops and she has only recently reduced her number of machines to less than my number of cameras. This machine is at least the D700 of the Brother range!

I found the shot difficult because of the white balance. In daylight it would not work and so here adjusting for tungsten I have achieved some good colours but the small light in the machine makes the right hand look too cool I think. But I like the vibrant colours and the framing made by the machine.

DSC_0020_700x469_.jpg

Appreciate any comments as usual

Last edited:
Hi Alan

GOD don't these weeks come around quick, can't believe i'm behind again :bonk:

Secure - Excellent exposure, really like that shot, such good tones all round on that shot

Industry - Very interesting first shot, look forward to seeing what you come up with later in the week

Sewing machine factory? Look forward to seeing if you get anymore from there.

Really interesting shot Alan. Love the sign with the old window decoration around it.(y)

Interesting sign that one....looks like an old Singer machine my mum still has !

Crop's been mentioned...would love to see a bigger image showing more of the building as I suspect it's quite impressive :)

Look forward to seeing your 1st thought (y)

Hi Alan, not commented on your thread before, looks like you've had a good start to the challenge. You've got some well thought out ideas. My favourite of the bunch is your alternative fear shot. Really well done. I like the out of the box thinking on the theme. Look forward to seeing the rest of your challenge.

Hi Alan have missed have missed the last couple of weeks

Secure - like the concept and it must have been a pain getting the exposure right with the shine off those shoes, but you've managed it nicely.

Industry - its interesting, and its already been said about clipping the bottom of the bracket, i can't help thinking that it may have been better in portrait with more space underneath and less on top

Catching up too, good take on secure. Another good different idea to portray the theme.

Like industry, in my mind thats the kind of thing I want to capture. Still working on it though.

Hi Alan

GOD don't these weeks come around quick, can't believe i'm behind again :bonk:

Secure - Excellent exposure, really like that shot, such good tones all round on that shot

Industry - Very interesting first shot, look forward to seeing what you come up with later in the week

DK - thanks as always for your encouragement. I was dead pleased with the shoe shot.

Sewing machine factory? Look forward to seeing if you get anymore from there.

Thanks Gramps

Really interesting shot Alan. Love the sign with the old window decoration around it.(y)

It encourages me to see you continue to comment. It was indeed a lovely building but the traffic and road paraphanalia made it difficult to get it all so i opted for the iconic emblem.

Great shot my only Crit is the crop on the sign hanger but it me beening pickie

Wholly agree re the crop. Seem to get this comment quite often so i must be more careful. Perhaps I need to make a bit of an allowance on my shots and use pp to crop to the best size rather than trying to get the ideal crop when i press the button. Only small details but seem to make a difference.

Interesting sign that one....looks like an old Singer machine my mum still has !

Crop's been mentioned...would love to see a bigger image showing more of the building as I suspect it's quite impressive :)

Look forward to seeing your 1st thought (y)

Thanks - see above reply

Hi Alan, not commented on your thread before, looks like you've had a good start to the challenge. You've got some well thought out ideas. My favourite of the bunch is your alternative fear shot. Really well done. I like the out of the box thinking on the theme. Look forward to seeing the rest of your challenge.

Ta - I enjoyed the still life too.(y)

Hi Alan have missed have missed the last couple of weeks

Secure - like the concept and it must have been a pain getting the exposure right with the shine off those shoes, but you've managed it nicely.

Industry - its interesting, and its already been said about clipping the bottom of the bracket, i can't help thinking that it may have been better in portrait with more space underneath and less on top

Noted and thank you. Taken me 5 weeks but i have identified a pattern with my shots which i will try to rectify

Catching up too, good take on secure. Another good different idea to portray the theme.

Like industry, in my mind thats the kind of thing I want to capture. Still working on it though.

Kind words, thank you

Hi, there...missed yours (now subscribed).

I do like your fried egg photograph. White on black...I do struggle with this combination. Given the choice, I'd prefer a more minimal take and loose the red sauce (?)

BTW, they are some mighty shiny shoes...(y)

Cheers.

Hi, there...missed yours (now subscribed).

I do like your fried egg photograph. White on black...I do struggle with this combination. Given the choice, I'd prefer a more minimal take and loose the red sauce (?)

BTW, they are some mighty shiny shoes...(y)

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments. White on black and then black on (nearly) white :D
Yes they are my favourite shoes by a mile!

Hi Alan,

Well spotted, it is an interesting shot and bang on this week's theme.

Carol

Hi Alan, huge apologies for not seeing your thread earlier, it's not easy this catching up lark :naughty:

Direction - love it, cracking colours, bang on theme.

Fear - wonderful dof on the cockle pickers sign, and a brilliant idea for your 2nd fear shot, and superbly taken too against the black background.

Sigh - both shots again bang on theme, only niggle is the cropping of the toes on the 2nd one.

Sweet - again excellently executed shots.

Secure - wonderful take on the theme and nice shiny shoes too :D

Industry - again excellent idea on the theme

Hi,

I love the bronze sigh, its very nice. I'm afraid I just don't get the secure bit from your shoes though. A nice shot of a difficult subject but the link eludes me. Sorry.
The Hamburg industry sign is a different matter. A wonderful link to the start of an indusrtial era. A good idea with the sign against what looks like a traditional industrial building.

Fear - Really like the idea of being afraid of hidden meanings, no matter how innocuous they may be.

Sigh - Very well thought out shot, contains everything needed for the story, well balanced and framed. Subject matter is easy to relate too.

Week 7 - Root

Since I started this challenge I have spent a lot of time with my camera and a lot more time at the pc - almost rooted to it. So I thought that I would use the product of the 2 to illuminate this theme. I found it incredibly hard to get any sort of straightness and taking shots of an electronic screen does challenge the photographic equipment

DSC_0040_-_Copy_640x428_.jpg

And the diptych;

DSC_0036_640x336_.jpg

Great idrea for "root" and another great shot.:clap:

Yes I prefer no 1 as well, though I wonder if smaller and picked out using a shallow DoF might have worked better?

Hi Alan
You got there before me as I was thinking along the same lines great minds and all that, like the execution of this.

Nice idea - Square root.

Ta

Great take on the theme well done!

Ta

Clever idea for root. I prefer number one (apart from the stray blue light in front of the monitor) Number two doesn't look like a photo!

Thanks - left the light deliberately as it is part of the monitor and stares at me all the time!

Great idrea for "root" and another great shot.:clap:

Yes I prefer no 1 as well, though I wonder if smaller and picked out using a shallow DoF might have worked better?

Worth thinking about. Presumably you mean making the monitor smaller in the shot with some surroundings which can be blurred by use of shallow DOF?

Catching up here!

Industry I like the one of the sign in particular, nice and sharp and well framed.

Root, very good take on the theme and dead simple.

Thank you for dropping by

Hi Alan
You got there before me as I was thinking along the same lines great minds and all that, like the execution of this.

Ah the mind is a great thing.:thinking: Took me ages to find the square root on the character map of my pc.

Hi Alan,

Well spotted, it is an interesting shot and bang on this week's theme.

Carol

Thank nou

Hi Alan, huge apologies for not seeing your thread earlier, it's not easy this catching up lark :naughty:

Direction - love it, cracking colours, bang on theme.

Fear - wonderful dof on the cockle pickers sign, and a brilliant idea for your 2nd fear shot, and superbly taken too against the black background.

Sigh - both shots again bang on theme, only niggle is the cropping of the toes on the 2nd one.

Sweet - again excellently executed shots.

Secure - wonderful take on the theme and nice shiny shoes too :D

Industry - again excellent idea on the theme

Thanks for all of those welcome remarks

Hi Alan, Industry - I like the idea, but the background (behind the sign) is too busy for my liking. I do appreciate that it was always going to be difficult to do anything about it! Mike

Thank you. I do like the sign a lot.

Hi,

I love the bronze sigh, its very nice. I'm afraid I just don't get the secure bit from your shoes though. A nice shot of a difficult subject but the link eludes me. Sorry.
The Hamburg industry sign is a different matter. A wonderful link to the start of an indusrtial era. A good idea with the sign against what looks like a traditional industrial building.

Thank you. A lot of people like the sign as i did when I saw it. The connection with the shoes is that another synonym for 'to secure' is 'to tie'

Fear - Really like the idea of being afraid of hidden meanings, no matter how innocuous they may be.

Sigh - Very well thought out shot, contains everything needed for the story, well balanced and framed. Subject matter is easy to relate too.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Sorry Alan I missed your industry shots.

I think everyone has said it all about the sign. I like the sewing machine action shot, I can't tell on my phone but is the needle in motion?
I never realised what expensive machines you could get, but a woman I work with also has one that's £1000+! Definitely on theme as it's a huge industry!
It's a difficult shot though, but you've done well with the lighting considering.

Hi Alan, like ya root pic, very clever....
remember my mum sewing when I was a youngster!!!! very handmade:)

Week 8 - Handmade

A bit late this week due to decorating duties but had the idea early and now got round to doing it. Again indebted to my better half for her industry in producing items (and I haven't had chance to photo a cake yet!).

These are a bead necklace and bead bracelet which seem to take ages of threading and knotting - but hey, I take hours to get a decent picture so I shouldn't talk.

Critical comments always welcome - still keen to learn.

DSC_0093_480x480_.jpg

NB Edit at post #85

Last edited:
That works ... but from a different angle maybe a good DOF example could have been obtained

Good work Alan, but as Gramps said maybe a different dof may enhance the image. Iain

Back