weekly foggy4evers 52 2013 Below added

Well I prefer the second image. In the first I felt the tree was dominating the image but the second had a better balance...

Wow have to admit i really like this image has a magical feel to it! Well done!

Cheers :)

I'm not too keen on the vignette, but I prefer the first photo to the second, the vertical format leads my eye in better. That said there seems to be something a little weird going on with the clarity/focus, might be the noise reduction or just my eyes, I'm not sure.

It's definitely the noise reduction sometimes it can have a strange effect but it's useful for a quick edit.

I would have preferred a slightly darker natural feel to the corners but will look at redoing the vignetting so it's less obvious.

(y)

Yep loving that, excellent composition and nice and sharp, agree it doesn't need a figure, it's such a great pathway, that's well exposed (y)

Cheers DK

superb composition but prefer the original.

Thank you

I definitely prefer the original, you have lost a lot of the magical feel with the second one I think. It is good thing I have plenty of work to do as you have no idea how hard I am having to resist playing with it :D

If you ever get bored I'll send you a copy of the original :D

Well I prefer the second image. In the first I felt the tree was dominating the image but the second had a better balance...

Cheers, glad to see the landscape version works too.

You've done a great job with Season. I think the portrait edit works best as there's so much space for that path to lead off into. The processing works to add a fairy tale feel to the shot and it almost looks like a painting. Something straight out of a C.S. Lewis novel.

Lovely stuff.

Ian.

You appear to live in Narnia!

I like that a lot. Love the portrait version particularly, your eye can't help but follow that path. Would be a touch better with a Faun, a talking Lion and a stroppy Ice Queen though. :)

Great start to the challenge. Sin is beautifully lit and i really like the tunnel effect of season, portrait version is my favourite.

Last edited:
Beautiful shot! I like the tones and the way the path leads the eye through the arch of trees in the distance. It has a mysterious atmosphere too.

I prefer the portrait version too.. vignette works for me.. has a magical feel and looks flippin freezing too!

Hi ya :wave:

love your season image...very calming to look at , good detail in the branch's & really well exposed :clap:

Another vote for #1 here (y)
I think its the softness and overall feel that is more appealing.
Great composition too, that path draws the viewers eye in and through the image. Good work all round (y) Iain

I like this shot - it looks fractionally over-sharpened, but it is pleasing non-the-less.

You've done a great job with Season. I think the portrait edit works best as there's so much space for that path to lead off into. The processing works to add a fairy tale feel to the shot and it almost looks like a painting. Something straight out of a C.S. Lewis novel.

Lovely stuff.

Ian.

Cheers Ian, I was lucky with the weather, the location I know from cycling.

You appear to live in Narnia!

I like that a lot. Love the portrait version particularly, your eye can't help but follow that path. Would be a touch better with a Faun, a talking Lion and a stroppy Ice Queen though. :)

Thanks, I already have the Ice Queen AKA daughter :LOL::LOL:

Great start to the challenge. Sin is beautifully lit and i really like the tunnel effect of season, portrait version is my favourite.

Thank you (y)

Beautiful shot! I like the tones and the way the path leads the eye through the arch of trees in the distance. It has a mysterious atmosphere too.

Cheers :)

I prefer the portrait version too.. vignette works for me.. has a magical feel and looks flippin freezing too!

Cheers Michelle, it was a bit fresh.

Hi ya :wave:

love your season image...very calming to look at , good detail in the branch's & really well exposed :clap:

Cheers Blondie :)

Another vote for #1 here (y)
I think its the softness and overall feel that is more appealing.
Great composition too, that path draws the viewers eye in and through the image. Good work all round (y) Iain

Cheers Iain

Also prefer the first one, lovely surreal feel to it.

Thanks

I like this shot - it looks fractionally over-sharpened, but it is pleasing non-the-less.

I think it maybe flickr, if you look at it through the lightbox it's fine when flickr resizes it any other way it looks over sharpened.

Cheers Phil

Lovely shot, love the misty-ness and the depth of the shot too - draws your eye down the path to the distance. Maybe the vignette is a little heavy would be the only thing I'd look to play with? Nice work!

Really like the original, perfectly composed. If I were to critique anything though, perhaps the vignette is a little too much? That's a minor thing at best though.

That is just gorgeous!

Thank you

Lovely shot, love the misty-ness and the depth of the shot too - draws your eye down the path to the distance. Maybe the vignette is a little heavy would be the only thing I'd look to play with? Nice work!
Really like the original, perfectly composed. If I were to critique anything though, perhaps the vignette is a little too much? That's a minor thing at best though.

Yep I agree with the vignetting but it's a preset on PSE so will try it manually some time.

Cheers

Gravity, not my first idea but the weather has put my original one on hold for now.

Version 1

Splash by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Version 2

Iron Bru by foggy4ever, on Flickr

First time I've tried this so still plenty of room for improvement.

I would say the first one is about as close to perfect as you can get - love the droplets flying out everywhere.

Great background too!

really like the first one really nicely lit has a nice glow to the liquid :clap:

Hi, #1 for me. Well lit and you've handled the light to the, as seen, RH side of the glass really well.

Composition is bang on, cracking BG.

For me, I'd like to see it closer. The drops are there, but I'd like them to be bigger.

Cheers.

I would say the first one is about as close to perfect as you can get - love the droplets flying out everywhere.

Great background too!

really like the first one really nicely lit has a nice glow to the liquid :clap:

first one is superb love the detail of the droplets

I prefer #1 also

Amazingly clear image, can't stop looking at it :)

Hi, #1 for me. Well lit and you've handled the light to the, as seen, RH side of the glass really well.

Composition is bang on, cracking BG.

For me, I'd like to see it closer. The drops are there, but I'd like them to be bigger.

Cheers.

Thanks all, the back ground is my white projector screen :D but there isn't any light pointed at it.

Will try and get a closer shot before the weekend but it depends on my assistant :)

Prefer the first. Both are excellent and agree with all the crit. Well thought out and taken.

Catch up time :)

Sin - first image works perfectly for me. Good moody lighting and the space only adds to it (y)

Season - again, your first image works best. Can feel the cold coming through and I like the green glow :)

Gravity - like the lighting and colour. First would be my pick, but the moment of the splash needs to be caught. Which is easier said than done :)

great shots.. like the first one, lighting is really good and love those droplets..

Great stuff. #1 for me too. Was it hard to get the lighting right?

Not to much, tried a white background at first shooting straight at the softbox but the black worked so much better. I used a single large softbox to the right and slightly behind the glass pointing slightly forward, f/16 and 1/250 to kill ambient light as it was shot in my garage and the low sun was quite bright.

Prefer the first. Both are excellent and agree with all the crit. Well thought out and taken.

Thanks

Catch up time :)

Sin - first image works perfectly for me. Good moody lighting and the space only adds to it (y)

Season - again, your first image works best. Can feel the cold coming through and I like the green glow :)

Gravity - like the lighting and colour. First would be my pick, but the moment of the splash needs to be caught. Which is easier said than done :)

Catching the point of entry is a little tricky but I only tried about 4 times and my assistant had to get the dinner on before work :D

great shots.. like the first one, lighting is really good and love those droplets..

Thanks Michelle

Damn !!!! that first shot es superb, the colour and detail in the drink is really good - love it :clap:

This is not crit, but I'd be tempted to clone some drops to the left of the glass (Above rim level) to even them up - i know ocd time :geek:

Good job I'm not OCD then :LOL: Cheers DK

Two cracking images, I can't really split the two of them personally :clap:

Great image.

So many great images being created, it really is fab for a dumb clueless newbee like me. I just here to learn.

Sorry for being dumb, but how do you get the black background as i see your comments over softboxes etc

Two cracking images, I can't really split the two of them personally :clap:

Thank you

Great image.

So many great images being created, it really is fab for a dumb clueless newbee like me. I just here to learn.

Sorry for being dumb, but how do you get the black background as i see your comments over softboxes etc

The best way is to prevent light hitting it, the further the background is from the subject the better. It doesn't even have to be black, camera settings killed all ambient light and the light source was directed away from the background. I was shooting in my garage so I had plenty of room.

Love the first one, great capture :clap:

Had the chance to do this straight away as I was taking my daughter to work, might go back and re-shoot as the light was a little harsh though.

Swan by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Beautiful! Only thing i would say is maybe a closer crop?

This sort of thing was the first thing in my mind too. Well done for being so quick!

Nice photo for Wild. Lighting works well keeping the water blue and the swan white. But I agree with the above comment about a closer crop possibly.

Well done mate, nice capture and nothing like hitting the ground running on day one.

Personally, I like the space around it. (y)

Like it. Despite the light,mother colours and contrast a nice. The detail is as well.

I did a slight crop, and it felt better to me.

I'll keep an eye out for any more you post.

Cheers.

Back