weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

yay for the little caterpillar - I think only twice have I shot more than 300 shots in a day... let alone a session!! (One when in a bird hide at CenbtreParcs, and t'other at Brands Hatch), bet the delete key's been earning its keep sifting out the good from the bad! amazing from the merely average.. :nuts:

super sharp, lovely colours and the background works well, they are wriggly little things too!

Whimsical...

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this fantastic image. I just kept on looking and pointing and laughing, in the end I had made so much noise that I had the whole family round the computer and we ALL thought it was amazing. 10/10 brilliant:clap:
Blimey... thanks Brian :)

Beginning: Sounds like this took even more effort than whimsical, I think I like it but that thing sticking out of the top of it has me feeling uneasy. <gulp> Nice focus and fraiming. (y)
Hahaaaa yeah that bit kept making my wife go queezy :LOL: -

Thanks again :)

Hi ya Dean :wave:
Hey Lynne :)

Whimiscal......absolute belter of a shot ( reminds me a similar one I did in last years 52 ) but your is streets ahead...great lighting , love the words spelt out , good detail in the hand with good skin tones as well....brilliant :clap::clap:
and another BLIMEY, Thanks Lynne :)

Beginning......chuckled all the way through your words on taking this shot.....:LOL: 2nd shot for me I think...always prefer closer shots as the amount of detail is so impressive (y)
Thanks :) I prefer that but but just wish the whole body went off into the distance - or just slowly faeded out, little bugger wouldn't play ball

Genius on the Whimsical - simply genius. Witty too, with the missing letters.
Thanks Tony :)

I think I hate you.
:bat: :LOL:

Nice macro shots for beginning. Are you shooting your macros handheld? I am as well and having a devil of a time with my DoF.
Yes I am, I was layin flat on my stomach in the end and had to keep shuffling around to try and get the angle required... I must of looked like it's elder brother !!!

yay for the little caterpillar - I think only twice have I shot more than 300 shots in a day... let alone a session!! (One when in a bird hide at CenbtreParcs, and t'other at Brands Hatch), bet the delete key's been earning its keep sifting out the good from the bad! amazing from the merely average.. :nuts:
You were right the first time :LOL:

I'm trying to be very strict nowadays, getting tougher on my self all the time as my storage is filling up rapidly !!!

super sharp, lovely colours and the background works well, they are wriggly little things too!
That they are :D

Cheers Graham

AND thanks to everybody else, isn't it odd that some times the ones you don't expect get great comments, and boy does it sound/feel good after a crap week :)

Lovely colours and textures in Whimsical. DOF is pretty much spot on as I see it. Good job!

Beginning #2 for me. A bit more 'head on' would be nice, but you don't really get to pick your shots with these kind of thing. Cracking detail, and the shallow DOF really suits.

Lovely colours and textures in Whimsical. DOF is pretty much spot on as I see it. Good job!

Beginning #2 for me. A bit more 'head on' would be nice, but you don't really get to pick your shots with these kind of thing. Cracking detail, and the shallow DOF really suits.
Cheers Nick :)

I did get a few 'Head On' but the focus wasn't 'quite' there :(

Wk 36 - 'Curve'

3 to choose from, First up is a simple shot from A walk down Great Yarmouth sea-front Yesterday, the second and third are both from a walk on Gorleston Beach this morning (A few more on my Flickr)

What have I learnt from this week, I MUST keep checking my settings and play about with DoF a bit more, some of the 'Other' shots I got would have been good shots had the DoF been deeper... they are instead binned!!!

Here you go... Thanks for popping in :)

Finding a Curve 10 by TP DK, on Flickr

A subtle curve on the pole... and the horizon :D

Finding a Curve by TP DK, on Flickr

And the curve of the roof, I liked the flare on this one, and the inclusion of one of the lifeguards, but people may prefer the others on Flickr that are 'cleaner'

Finding a Curve 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Hello:wave:
Really like the definition of the shadows on the first one, there is something very pleasing about it, though because of the crop it seems a little squashed
the second I like the emptiness but not sure about the placement of the flag/figure :thinking:
the third has a lovely blue sky which goes really well with the yellow floats? and the t-shirt of the lifeguard, nice flag too
A really good set (y)

Can't believe you can fill a set on flickr with your possibles.... of which any would fit the bill....

I reckon the lifeguard shot is the pick for me, the one you chose with the lifeguard going about her business. Without her the shot looses all its appeal tbh.

The blue sky is fantastic against the yellow and the curve of the roof. And I think the lens flare adds to the shot here too.

Agree with allan on the curve of the steps, and like the second but it certainly doesn;t have the same appeal as the lifeguard hut

Hello:wave:
Really like the definition of the shadows on the first one, there is something very pleasing about it, though because of the crop it seems a little squashed
the second I like the emptiness but not sure about the placement of the flag/figure :thinking:
the third has a lovely blue sky which goes really well with the yellow floats? and the t-shirt of the lifeguard, nice flag too
A really good set (y)

Cheers Alan :)

I guess it does look a bit squished, just a loo wish angle though to be honest, and cropping all the crap out :D

Can't believe you can fill a set on flickr with your possibles.... of which any would fit the bill....

I reckon the lifeguard shot is the pick for me, the one you chose with the lifeguard going about her business. Without her the shot looses all its appeal tbh.

The blue sky is fantastic against the yellow and the curve of the roof. And I think the lens flare adds to the shot here too.

Agree with allan on the curve of the steps, and like the second but it certainly doesn;t have the same appeal as the lifeguard hut

Cheers Graham :)

That's my fav too...

Do you think the 2nd one needs a closer crop?? The sky was rather boring higher up so hence the excessive sand

Wow! Some great work there Dean from the Catchup King ;)

They all fit the bill so difficult to choose.

Number one, I like the minimalist feel to it, it fills the frame with no other distractions around it, the only thing I'd mention on this is the litter. I feel it spoils the look a little and could be cloned out.

Number two, really like this, the colours, composition everything comes together well. I would maybe crop a little of the sand, make it about the same size relatively as the sky. I know that may bring the horizon closer to the centre but I do think it would be effective.

Number three, is probably my favourite of the three Dean, for everything that others have mentioned above. The pov, lens flare, colours, they all work so well together.

Great work rate matey (y)

Hi Dean :wave:

Good catch up there mister ...

Curve 1 for me...simple , mono works well....clone out the rubbish & it's 100% for me :clap:

Curve......little too much sand for me...using the "scroll up n down method" I'd might be tempted to lose the majority of the sand creating a more letterbox crop ?

Curve 3....strangley not taken with this one , like the POV & the blue sky against the silver curved structure but not as appealing as the other 2...sorry :crying:

hi Dk

Catch up time

Connection - alt 2 for me as I like the detail and the fact that without any reference, it is intriguing having to decide whether it is a screw or a giant auger. well done (y)

Connection - good shots. Those tortoiseshells are b...ggers cos of that fuzzy back. #2 for me as I feel that it fits the theme best cos of the connection thro the proboscis

Whimsical - excellent ..:clap: like the fact that it looks a bit ordinary at first but then working thro the letters makes I very interesting and humorous

beginning - #1 is a bit confusing - not sure of focal point or which end etc. #2 has excellent b/g and good colour throughout.

Curve - good set. Like #2 as a shot but not as strong a connection to the theme as the other 2. #3 is top shot. beautiful colours and lots of interest.

Wow! Some great work there Dean from the Catchup King ;)

They all fit the bill so difficult to choose.

Number one, I like the minimalist feel to it, it fills the frame with no other distractions around it, the only thing I'd mention on this is the litter. I feel it spoils the look a little and could be cloned out.
OMG... I didn't even think of the litter :bang: cheers Iain

Number two, really like this, the colours, composition everything comes together well. I would maybe crop a little of the sand, make it about the same size relatively as the sky. I know that may bring the horizon closer to the centre but I do think it would be effective.
Thanks... now in the process of doing that :)

Number three, is probably my favourite of the three Dean, for everything that others have mentioned above. The pov, lens flare, colours, they all work so well together.

Great work rate matey (y)
Cheers Iain :)
`

Hi Dean :wave:

Good catch up there mister ...
Thanks Lynne :)

Curve 1 for me...simple , mono works well....clone out the rubbish & it's 100% for me :clap:
Another that spotted it :LOL:

Curve......little too much sand for me...using the "scroll up n down method" I'd might be tempted to lose the majority of the sand creating a more letterbox crop ?
Yup... now doing that, with thanks for all your suggestions :)

Curve 3....strangley not taken with this one , like the POV & the blue sky against the silver curved structure but not as appealing as the other 2...sorry :crying:
No Problem... my wifey doesn't like it either... must be a girl thing :LOL:

hi Dk

Catch up time

Connection - alt 2 for me as I like the detail and the fact that without any reference, it is intriguing having to decide whether it is a screw or a giant auger. well done (y)
Thanks Alan... not many went for that so glad you liked it :)
Connection - good shots. Those tortoiseshells are b...ggers cos of that fuzzy back. #2 for me as I feel that it fits the theme best cos of the connection thro the proboscis
Thanks... and double thanks for telling me what one it is :) :)

Whimsical - excellent ..:clap: like the fact that it looks a bit ordinary at first but then working thro the letters makes I very interesting and humorous
Cheers buddy :)

beginning - #1 is a bit confusing - not sure of focal point or which end etc. #2 has excellent b/g and good colour throughout.
Yeah I think this is another re-shoot for sure (y)

Curve - good set. Like #2 as a shot but not as strong a connection to the theme as the other 2. #3 is top shot. beautiful colours and lots of interest.
Thanks Alan as always :)

HI ya

I was thinking slightly more severe crop though your edited crop does work better.......

only working with netbook so not sure about it as only got a minute screen....will remove if you say the word (y)

Ooooo no I like that (y)

I agree with the others - thats the best of the shots and its the best crop too - nice positioning :)

Wow! - what a difference a crop makes, that looks amazing! well done - both of you :LOL:

Lynne's drop is bang on....she's learning you know ;)

Not keen on the harsh light. Wonder what b&w would look like?

Cheers...and I suspect the flag isn't there at sunset or sunrise :)

I agree with the others - thats the best of the shots and its the best crop too - nice positioning :)
Cool... I'll accept that praise :D

Wow! - what a difference a crop makes, that looks amazing! well done - both of you :LOL:
Thanks... it was nothing :D

Lynne's drop is bang on....she's learning you know ;)

Not keen on the harsh light. Wonder what b&w would look like?

Cheers...and I suspect the flag isn't there at sunset or sunrise :)
Hmmmm B&W... maybe tomorrow's edit :)

Afraid they are not there early or late no, that was the lifeguard, he had just set that flag out :)

yeah - saw this on your flickr weeeeks ago..

love it, great colours and the flyaway hair - all perfectly frozen in time. Fantastic detail all the way through too.

(y) from me

Another cracker DK. Loads of emotion, loads of implied movement & rather unnerving at the same time. (y)

Hi DK

great pic would never have thought of that at that angle but it works really well, :clap:

Hi DK

great pic would never have thought of that at that angle but it works really well, :clap:
Cheers Allan :)

I think I prefer your crop on the beach shot.
Me too mate :)

Love the still one but for some reason part of me wants to see it in Mono. I can't express why.
Hmmmm sounds like a request I can certainly do :D

Hi ya Dean

Still......beautifully frozen moment & amazingly sharp...really pops out of the screen :clap:
Thank You Lynne :)

Annnnnd onto the next

Thought I would go for a walk with Mrs DK on sunday to get my shot seems the weather was so nice... I was at first going for my beach shot, but Allan has beat me to it :D

Soooooo I'm afraid it's a choice of 3 again...

Wk 38 - 'Solitude'

Even though this is a much tighter crop to the other 2 I have on Flickr, I think Mrs DK's posture is more in keeping with 'Solitude' ??

Wk 38 - 'Solitude' 4 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 38 - 'Solitude' 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

With this one I don't think Mrs DK walking is very 'Solitudey' :thinking:

Wk 38 - 'Solitude' 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

I think I now prefer this one... MUST be viewed on Flickr :)

Wk 38 - 'Solitude' 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Please let me know what you think

Last edited:
Hi Dean, another good work rate display (y)

Choices, choices :thinking:
I think #2 gets my vote though. I feel this one says solitude the most to me.
Mrs DK stood looking out towards the water certainly works.

I do think it needs a little bit more photography-wise to elevate it beyond a record shot. Not sure what that little bit more would be, perhaps a B&W conversion or your good lady being in silhouette, dunno :LOL:

Up to date though, good work on that score.
You and Marsha have excelled yourselves this week :LOL:;)

Hi Dean, another good work rate display (y) Choices, choices :thinking: I think #2 gets my vote though. I feel this one says solitude the most to me. Mrs DK stood looking out towards the water certainly works. I do think it needs a little bit more photography-wise to elevate it beyond a record shot. Not sure what that little bit more would be, perhaps a B&W conversion or your good lady being in silhouette, dunno :LOL: Up to date though, good work on that score. You and Marsha have excelled yourselves this week :LOL:;)
cheers Iain... I actually feel relieved to be caught up with the photo side of stuff, I now hope I can catch up a bit more on comments, but been traveling all afternoon so have to catch up with Work emails first :(

I may go for the silhouette idea of yours to be honest, I did shoot trying to get the sun streaming in from the top right corner but it didn't work as well as it looked in the view finder :LOL:

Hi DK

Agree with Iain number 2 for also, obviously a great idea too (y)

I also like the last one you posted really nice colour and the distant boat is not too obvious, works for me.

I'm going with the crowd, two for me too, but four is a very very close second

Hi Dean

Thanks for your never ending hard work keeping the spreadsheet ...top work mister :clap:

Solitude.......hmmmmm, choices choices....think Andy's comment about silhouetting your other half has merit but they still work as shot....excepting the crop....I'd be tempted to crop quite a chunk off the bottom of all & a sliver of the rhs baring the seascape one ( which strangely enough I did as well but as not as well as yours !)

Back