weekly JohnN's 52 project for 2013 - Week 39 - Sweet

Just a quick update to say the two principle parts of the image were taken but I'm struggling to make it even close to work well, so I may end up skipping this and coming back when my skills are a bit further along.

Okay, I could do with lots more work so instead I kept it simple and uploaded with just minor PP rather than the full blown effect I had planned.

Week 7 - Gluttony by magsnorton, on Flickr

Yeah, she loved it and after she directed her own shoot with her "babies", even having lights adjusted :)

My more advanced them would have included a more enhanced look, heading toward comic along with a generated room and anti food posters

Thanks again and yep, for the short time it lasted it was a wagon wbeel

The really nice thing about this is the look in here eye. Perhaps "I can't believe I'm getting away with this... but you're definitely not having any!".

She's a long way over to the right, which strikes me as odd, but actually it works very well. The negative space is perhaps a bit oddly coloured? Anyway, a real standout shot.

Hi John, I have missed a few.

Space, that is really a really good bit of pp, do you have a link for the tutorial? Sorry if I missed it, it really gives a great impact.

Work, I like it, the lighting has worked quite well and b+w was a good choice.

Gluttony, I wasn't sure at first about the the composition, but as I keep looking at it, I think it has worked well. Only thing I did notice is the shadow on your daughters left arm.

Hi, John, Gluttony is a cracker. Very well lit and the expression on your daughter's face is superb.

Crit, well, looks like a bit of detail has been lost in the white's on her dress.

Cheers.

I must admit I wasn't too sure about the composition at first, but like you said it grows on you.
I may revisit the background it get it back to white - at some point during the colour enhancement I think it brought up some background colour too, I see what you meant about the arm too - it wasn't as pronounced in the original.
You're right about the dress too - white one white may not have been the best choice for the original shoot.

Regarding Space - I didn't work from a tutorial as much as before but the one that helped my out with the room part was this.

Last edited:
Hi ya

Not really a kiddy/portrait shot type of person so hard for me to comment . I do like her expression though...very cheeky & a bit sneaky ..like you've just caught her in the act :)

Very nice portrait, great expression on her face :clap:

Hi

Work - too oof for me and had no idea what it was until I saw the set up - even then a bit confused as to the link

Gluttony - good comp and a very good idea. Actually I do liike the white dress with its flaches of colour. Good expression. Just the shadows that have been mentioned

Thanks all for the feedback and gratefully received :)

Well - heres my take on time - or more the ravages of time.

I had other ideas ranging from Dr who based things, a surreal image involving hour glasses right through to some awful puts featuring such delights as "Time Slip" (a clock on a banana skin) and "Hammer Time" (either a clock being smashed or worse yet something involving MC Hammer!!)

Enough of the fluff already man - post the damn picture!!!

Week 8 - The ravages of Time by magsnorton, on Flickr

Absolutely love that gluttony photo, such character, and great processing.

time I think maybe a little too bright, but it still works, and a great concept to use.

A simple but different take on the theme John.
I like the use of negative space and the composition.
It does look a little noisy on here, I looked at it on flickr and it appears different, less noisy. Good work nonetheless, (y) Iain

Thanks for the feedback, funny you mention noise, I thought that myself there's almost no noise on the original

Hi John

hmmmm.. ravages of time...like the idea , use of mono & negative space so thats all a (y) from me

Crit....I may be missing the obvious here but it appears very soft on my screen ,almost oof ? the white parts seem quite blown partic on the rhs of the flower ? & I want to iron the frame flat to lose the black lines ..maybe that was deliberate to give the effect of an old printed photo ? Sorry to sound so negative but having followed your thread & seen some cracking work from you I find it hard to get my head round this one . That said...I could just be missing the point...I do suffer from blondness :LOL:

No, valid points, in fact it was a handheld rush job but I loved how it looked, added a border which I thought improved it and posted.

Funily enough I remember saying to my wife that usually I'd bin something the out of focus, but oddly I liked it

hmn, now I've left it a while and come back I don't like the last one either. Damn - I loved it at the time.

Looks like it might be another bad week for me again, no idea why but I'm having trouble on the enthusiasm front, again ideas but no follow through.

This week I had planned a fire and ice theme - ranging from ice on fire to a similar(ish) image to my gravity but a closeup with fire from one hand and ice on the other - or perhaps a super hero version of the same.

Last edited:
Okay, now this one is in focus :)

To explain the Juxtaposition as its not massively obvious - its a new expensive lens vs old and cheap - so either would do - to further complicate it the "new" lens has an older design so the new\old is turned on its head.

Anyway to the image:

Week 9 - In the shadows of the past (Juxtaposition) by magsnorton, on Flickr

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it worked.

Actually both the shadow and the angle were deliberate, the title was in the shadow of the past and it was intended to overshadow its smaller sibling, also the angle was so the the 50mm writing was still lit without doing anything to the shadow.

Hi, Time, the connection is the but too hot for me. To much detail has been lost. I do like the negative space, of which I am a great fan.

Juxtaposition, on theme and well composed but lack of detail in the lenses lets it down for me.

Cheers.

Do you mind expanding on that a little, is it the shadow, post processing? It's just the original is pretty sharp so I don't know what you mean

Do you mind expanding on that a little, is it the shadow, post processing? It's just the original is pretty sharp so I don't know what you mean

Hi, John, are you referring to me? I suspect you are, if so, is it my crit of Time or Juxtaposition?

Cheers.

Sorry yes, juxtaposition please, I agree on time, I loved it at the time (which is odd for me as I usually want everything as sharp as possible)

Sorry yes, juxtaposition please, I agree on time, I loved it at the time (which is odd for me as I usually want everything as sharp as possible)

Ah, by detail I didn't mean sharpness because they are both sharp. For me, the side lighting has remove some of the detail in the lenses. Which, being side lit will happen. Maybe a white reflector of the left to bounce a bit of light into the shadows?

Cheers.

Yup , right on theme...took me a little bit of time to see it but it is .Like the shadow falling across the smaller lens & curving slightly upwards at the back , the texture of the background adds something just not quite sure why ...like it , original & works really well (y)

Thanks Blondie I think we're in the minority with the shadow :)
Posiview the shadow was a choice and part of the intent, I'm guessing this parts not for everyone, thanks for explaining though

Back