weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

#1 for the simplicity ('sept for the bottle :nono:), Nice angle, DOF and desaturation works well.

I do like #2 as well, I maybe tired but it has a tilt shift look to it :thinking:

Cheers.

#1 for the simplicity ('sept for the bottle :nono:), Nice angle, DOF and desaturation works well.

I do like #2 as well, I maybe tired but it has a tilt shift look to it :thinking:

Cheers.

The DoF was already quite good out of the camera but for me too much of the rubbish was in focus so I applied a bit more graduated blur using GIMP ;)

Nice... a clever take on the theme.:)

I like the lower angle and overall comp of number 1, and the rubbish doesn't bother me. The step edge at the right of the pic pulls my eye a little, but only a little.

Nice... a clever take on the theme.:)

I like the lower angle and overall comp of number 1, and the rubbish doesn't bother me. The step edge at the right of the pic pulls my eye a little, but only a little.

Yes, I know what you mean....I cropped th photo on the left due to a metal post, and also cloned a bit out....I tried cropping the step out but it was then all just too narrow

The rubbish in #1 doesn't bother me but even I think it's a bit much in#2....I wasn't about to start cleaning up other folks' rubbish though! :thumbsdown:

Struggled for ideas this week. Got up this morning thiking I would just go with a real simple idea of taking a photo of batteries but it was a harder setup than I expected.

Getting the angle/perspective, the camera and batterires straight, keeping them in place (thanks blu-tak!), making sure no gaps between them, the lighting and getting the DoF just how wanted was all a challenge.

I worked in live view on my D7000 but to be honest, the screen just isn't big enough to get everything spot on in camera when you are shooting close up. So I had to go back and forth between shot and PC to get it right.

Very little pp this time around, fiddled with the contrast a bit and cropped a tad left and right - that's pretty much it.

Week 11- Electric by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

sometimes the simplest ideas are the hardest to execute... great job here - sharp focus on the D battery, including the + too.. shallow DOF works too, well lined up. effort was worth it. (y)

Hi Chris

Electric - simple and well on theme. Good focus on the middle battery and dof spot on. Can't help wondering what it would look like on a plain base and a brighter b/g

Thanks...interesting thought, I don't really have anything in the way of a light box and really have no idea where I would start
I sort of like using my dining room table because there is a lot of natural light from the patio doors close by and also on this I liked how the batteries reflected

Thanks...interesting thought, I don't really have anything in the way of a light box and really have no idea where I would start
I sort of like using my dining room table because there is a lot of natural light from the patio doors close by and also on this I liked how the batteries reflected

Nowt wrong with the location - natural light is fine - I just picked up a tip once about buying a plain gloss tile (one of those big ones found in bathrooms - you can also get them with a slight texture or pattern)) and using that as a base - it gives reflections as in your shot but is less busy than woodgrain - all sorts of colours available. And a card can be stood up behind giving a very crisp edge. Doesn't work for all subjects but is a cheap way of experimenting.

Hi Chris

simple take on the theme which works, like the DOF & reflections :) plainer base for me as well...like Al's idea of using a shiny tile..might go get me one of those

Hi Chris

Great idea for Direction and think that the 2 passages highlighted are very apt.. Good focus and pov so that the guts of the photo really jumps out. (y)

Minor comment would be that it seems just a bit skewed/non central and the paper is a bit grey on my screen - but neither point detracts from the interpretation of the core theme

Hi Chris :wave:

Letter: Prefer 1st shot with offset R. Good focus and depth of field, the shadow from the seat backs a tad distracting but a good unusual shot.

Electric: again interesting use of focus points, colour contrast and perspective.

Direction: Clever and well thought out, nicely done. (y)

I like it not a sign in sight :clap: A lot of people do still take direction from that book, nice DoF (y)

shallow DOF used really well here chris, draws the eye straight to the important part of the shot.

Really shows how the focus drops off sharply either side of the focus point.. Used well here, but a good reminder of how powerful it can be.

Hi, Direction, nice idea, I like it. Looks a tad underexposed on my work's PC. My eye is drawn to the upper right bit. Nice focus and shallow DOF.

Cheers.

OK that's it. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those lenses, now you've pushed me over the line. :nuts:

Classic use of the wide aperture there chris and spot on theme.

B&W perfectly suits this image too. (y)

OK that's it. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those lenses, now you've pushed me over the line. :nuts:

Classic use of the wide aperture there chris and spot on theme.

B&W perfectly suits this image too. (y)

Not that you need any encouraging but...
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod.php?n=NikonAF-S35mmf1.8GDXLens&p=1013

I would say I like this lens a lot....I have experienced it generating quite a bit of CA...my gravity shot was a case in point and because of how I shot it, it was a pain to edit. Cats on a sunny window sill that sort of thing shows it up, anything dark against a bright background as you would expect

Electric - The DOF is really nice, and the sharp battery beautifully so. I also like the reflections of the batteries in the table, it would have been nice to see the same shot on a more reflective surface to maximise that.

That's a clever take on direction too, obvious now you've done it, but wouldn't have occurred to me before. Nice use of DOF again.

Um, haven't we seen this shot before? (;-)

Um, haven't we seen this shot before? (;-)

Sorry mate no idea what you are on about
Not seen this shot for Direction from anyone else and I certainly haven't done it before.

I am a few weeks behind now already....I have tacky and greed pretty much ready to post but am missing a value shot. Not had much chance to get out and about and it's getting frustrating a little to find things around the house that work....and ultimately I end up doing a lot of close-ups. I certainly need to vary the type of shot more now I think

certainly on theme chris, vignette works well darkening the corners filling the gaps the diagonal framing has left. (y)

Nice use of DOF (again (y)) to draw the eye up through the image to the focal point.

Not sure it needs the ball of blutack - think the thinned out bit would have suffice... unless there's significance in the ball thats gone over my head :LOL:

Blu tack that's not blue? The world's gone mad... DoF managed well though for a good capture.

nice bright colours in value, on theme and I see what you mean about a lean back to the right and a lean forward at the end... optical illusion maybe??
Also maybe could have had a bit wider to give all of the first poster and red frame extending all the way to the corners?

greedy, has been well and truly polished off there - good composition and DOF, I suppose Low Fat doesn;t really alter the greediness of it. :LOL:

very nice lighting for the coins - really good and sharp too. Why f22 for this one? Surely all parts of the shot must be within 3 or 4mm of each other??

your angles is a simple, almost minimalist shot, but there's nothing that doesn;t work about it. Graffiti addds a bit of humour and interest to an otherwise potentially dull shot. (y)

very nice lighting for the coins - really good and sharp too. Why f22 for this one?

Well I had a very low watt low energy bulb in a lamp for the lighting, almost a night light. The shot was taken in shutter priority mode and I gradually increased the time until I got the exposure correct.....so f22 is what the camera selected. I guess if I took it in manual the exposure time would have been much shorter with a wider aperture...would the lighting have been so much to my liking though? Not sure

Last edited:
Back