weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

B&W Speed for me. Cracking detain in the clouds and good motion. Something a bit weird going on in the mirror...almost like some dodgy burning in PP?

Steps #1 for me. Looks like you've been busted :D Nice low angle and the lad on the steps adds to the narrative.

Cheers.

B&W Speed for me. Cracking detain in the clouds and good motion. Something a bit weird going on in the mirror...almost like some dodgy burning in PP?

Steps #1 for me. Looks like you've been busted :D Nice low angle and the lad on the steps adds to the narrative.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments....no dodgy burning going on at all in the mirror. In fact the only editing was levels and saturation. What might make it look a tad strange is the reflections....you could quite clearly see me in some of the shots I took, but I managed to turn the CPL so as to minimise this.....if you know what to look at you can still see a ghostly hand and outline of my head....the reflection that is there other than the clouds is from the air vent inside the car......as I said would have been better if I had put the windows down:bonk:

Last edited:
Hi
Speed either one for me maybe slightly edging to the colour version :thinking:
Steps the first one works better for me too no idea on ground or song :shrug:

Hi Chris

Speed - colour one for me. Real feeling of speed and converging diagonal lines and super sky in mirror.

Steps - on balance #1 altho the faces to the left look sharper in #2. On theme.

No idea about the song but definitely City Ground of Nottingham Forest. Biggest clue is the colour of the shirt the 2 stars above the chest logo indicating European Cup winners 1979.1980

Hi Chris

Speed - colour one for me. Real feeling of speed and converging diagonal lines and super sky in mirror.

Steps - on balance #1 altho the faces to the left look sharper in #2. On theme.

No idea about the song but definitely City Ground of Nottingham Forest. Biggest clue is the colour of the shirt the 2 stars above the chest logo indicating European Cup winners 1979.1980

Nice spot (y)
Song to mull of kintyre is...

City Ground
Oh mist rolling in from the Trent,
My desire is always to be here,
Oh City Ground;
Far I have travelled,
And much have I seen,
Goodison, Anfield, The places I've been,
Maine Road, Old Trafford,
Still echo to the sounds,
Of the boys in the red shirts,
At the City Ground;
City Ground, Oh mist rolling in from the Trent,
My desire is always to be here,
Oh City Ground

Come on you reds!:LOL:

Speed is a nice idea, and bang on theme. I think the colour version has a greater sense of speed for me. Just sky in the mirror would have been lovely, but you can only photograph what's there.

The second steps shot has it for me, as it makes a little more of the seated boy. The expression on his face is priceless.

The colour version of speed gives a real feeling of moving along.

The second steps for the same reason as Nick.

colour speed is the one for me, wierd that I don;t get the same feeling of not undertanding the shot like I did on Dark knights similar shot (from quite a few weeks back).. Love the colour of the reflected clouds and the greens too. The lines of the armco and the white lines make it work too.

the full version of steps for me, otherwise the pointing kid is the subject and is OOF.

Hi Chris

thanks so much for getting Mull of Kintyre logged in m brain :razz:

Speed..think I'm edging toward the color version but not sure why....dammed annoying reflection of the airvent though(y)

Steps....1st shot for me though both are superbly focused with great colors (y)

Really sharp and clear - very nice, would have made a great connection too

Hi chris - dare I say I think you might have fallen into the "too shallow" DOF trap again....

I'd love to see this with enough DOF that the tops of the Gain control knobs bottom left are still in focus.

Good and sharp on the bits that are in focus, and nice crisp mono conversion.

Hi chris - dare I say I think you might have fallen into the "too shallow" DOF trap again....

I'd love to see this with enough DOF that the tops of the Gain control knobs bottom left are still in focus.

Good and sharp on the bits that are in focus, and nice crisp mono conversion.

Personally I disagree on the DOF. This was intentional to try and draw focus on the labelling of the controls rather than the controls themselves. I actually tried a harsh horizontal tilt-shift effect but that was too much!

Mono, nice and crisp with good detail. 'Snort room' let me in :D Crit, just looks a tad brighter on the RH side.

Cheers.

Possibly you are correct as I know I stood slightly to the left of camera and this is naturally lit only. Also though there is a big chunk of the white writing to the right so wonder if this also has an effect

Hi Chris

good Mono shot that...plenty of detail to keep me looking round the image.....for a change I quite like the DOF..seems pretty even in that items on both sides are oof but possibly a little too tight ? Still like it though...top shot mister (y)

Thanks everyone. Well I am away for the weekend but when I am back I will take a look at my crop of this again. I have to say with the controls not being the focus I was less concerned about it, but also the desk was sloping away at different angles and the inputs etc pretty close together everything, so was quite tight and difficult to separate.

Last edited:
things seem to be getting in the way of my togging of late an dI'm quite a bit behind.

I took the following photo whilst at the Greenbelt Festival over the bank holiday weekend. In case anyone is wondering this is a phone charging service they run at the festival for the campers, hence lots of connections!
I'm not totally happy with it to be honest, but I need to post connection, stop faffing and move on so I can get back up to date!

Here it is

Week 32 - Connection by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

If anyone is interested I have a bunch of other photos from the festival on my flickr pages.

Last edited:
Hi Chris
Mono works for me, DoF i don't have a problem with the clipping of buttons is a pity but possibly unavoidable.
Connection fits the theme well, what is it you are not happy with :thinking: I don't know what else you could have done with it.

Hi, I didn't get Connection at first as I thought it was a shoe shop :bonk:

But, I can see the....errr...connection now.

Well caught and the slight movement was a cracking decision.

I'm not sure on the B&W.

Cheers.

Hi Chris
Mono works for me, DoF i don't have a problem with the clipping of buttons is a pity but possibly unavoidable.
Connection fits the theme well, what is it you are not happy with :thinking: I don't know what else you could have done with it.

Cheers.
Well I took a few, it was in quite low light so I struggled with the exposure, the shutter speed I thought was ok but I obviously wasn't able to keep still enough to make the phones etc. tack sharp as I would have liked

Hi, I didn't get Connection at first as I thought it was a shoe shop :bonk:

But, I can see the....errr...connection now.

Well caught and the slight movement was a cracking decision.

I'm not sure on the B&W.

Cheers.

Thanks. All those little boxes on the wall were orange and there was a distinct orange hue cast buy the low lighting that I couldn't sort out to my liking, so b&w was my solution rather than necessarily my first choice for the shot

Weird you should say shoe shop, because my misses came in whilst I was editing it and said the same! I can't quite see it to be honest :thinking:

B&W works fine for this, to me, the boxes and lugs don't look unsharp, I think the movement in the people is the main thing. And yep, plenty of connections!!

Another festival photo from me for "Beginning"

You could see this as "beginning of a gig" perhaps or even "beginning of a career" (this is a buskers style stage for new artists to get heard). but my interpretation for the theme is "beginnings of an audience" :)

Not much to say about this shot - it would have been nice to have a sunny day but that wasn't to be! I had some tricky cloning out of a bench and rubbish bin to do, so relatively happy how it turned out in the end.

Week 33 - Beginning by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Hi Chris
like the shot, if that was her audience how disappointed was she:eek: as for the title "beginning of a career" fits better for me, you could probably crop some of the sides too i dont think you would lose anything

Haha yes, you got me! I know it's slightly unnatural but i was playing with that tilt shift sort of thing and I liked how it drew the eye from the fella in the chair up to the stage....

It worked a treat. Nice interesting image. An eye catcher. (y)

HI Chris

I also thought Connection was shoe shop....must really look instead of glancing :bonk: Quite liking the mono ( suspect color was a bit over powering ?) , the slight movement capture works as well (y)

Beginning.....yup , beginning of a career works for me.....like how you've played with DOF as it really concentrates your eye on the watcher & singer both of which are beautifully sharp (y)

I like beginnings of an audience..... must confess didn't notice the cloning at all, not even after you mentioned it, and also like the effect of the vertical DOF effect. Does work to hold the eye in the centre. And subtle enough too that it doesn;t stand out as obvious what you've done.

I like the movement in Connection, gives it a bit of life. B&W works too.

Beginning is a fantastic image, couldn't have been staged better.

Back