John's 2010 52, Week 27 Art (July 10th)

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Having taken part in last years 52 (My 2009 52 pt 1 and my 2009 52 pt 2), and made, what I think is quite a journey. I think I've made quite a lot of progress, but I'll let the others on last years 52 decide on that one. I've decided to do this again (I must be :nuts: :D..)

I'm hoping to improve further this year, working on composition and different techniques both in capture and processing. I'm also going to try and sort out flash this year (I seriously struggled with flash last year) and filters (I have ND Grads and a 10 stop to play with).

Still I'm sure it'll be a weird mix of fun and frustration again.

Last edited:
Thank you ladies, given how much I learnt and the opportunities this created ( along eith the frustrations ;)) it was a given :)

Ok, here we go. Kicking off 2010 with curved.

IMG_0097.jpg

in taking this, I was thinking specifically about use of focal length to alter the perspective of the shot, and compose into an interesting shape. I'm not sure if this counts as a form of low key, but that was kind of the intent.

:clap::clap::clap:

I think you've definitely achieved what you set out to do. It's a really interesting perspective on an every day object and not something I would have ever have thought of for curved.

Lovely detail in the treads and the DOF is perfect.
Black background works well and overall I'd agree that the image is low key - although I'm rubbish with the technical terminology :LOL:

Great start to your 52. It's one of those shots that I want to keep looking at.

Really like it Jon, lovely control of depth of field and the tyre surface texture really adds to the end result. Well done

I think you've definitely achieved what you set out to do. It's a really interesting perspective on an every day object and not something I would have ever have thought of for curved.

Lovely detail in the treads and the DOF is perfect.
Black background works well and overall I'd agree that the image is low key - although I'm rubbish with the technical terminology

Great start to your 52. It's one of those shots that I want to keep looking at.

Thanks very much Sarah.

Simple and very effective shot, works really well.

Thank you Scott

Really like it Jon, lovely control of depth of field and the tyre surface texture really adds to the end result. Well done

Thanks Huss

Super composition and processing, works a treat for the theme ;)

Thanks very much Julian

Like this one John, great use of DOF and good detail too, fits the theme well - snow, ice on the tyre?

Thanks Guys (y)

I missed this one yesterday. With so many 52's, it's hard to keep up with em all!

A nice shot John. Certainly suits the theme, and it's a shot you won't tire of seeing. :LOL: :coat:

Love it John, to make something this ordinary stand out so well it has so much going for it and I really like the dirty salt/snow/grit look it gives it so much more interest than a boring clean one. :clap:

Nothing bad to say about this shot. Great contrast and composition really bring home the texture and shape of the tyre. Looking forward to more like this (y)

I missed this one yesterday. With so many 52's, it's hard to keep up with em all!

A nice shot John. Certainly suits the theme, and it's a shot you won't tire of seeing. :LOL: :coat:

Lee I know what you mean, I can't believe how many 52 threads there are...

Thank you :D...

Love it John, to make something this ordinary stand out so well it has so much going for it and I really like the dirty salt/snow/grit look it gives it so much more interest than a boring clean one. :clap:

Thanks very much John

Nothing bad to say about this shot. Great contrast and composition really bring home the texture and shape of the tyre. Looking forward to more like this (y)

Thanks very much Darren, I'll do my best ;) Hope I've not set the bar too high to early...

I'm not sure if this counts as a form of low key, but that was kind of the intent.

It works for me. I like the angle... amazing how changing the angle can make a boring object more interesting. I had something low-key-ish in mind too... but I failed miserably. You did a much better job of it. Nice.

Thank you. I've checked and the tyre is ok :D

Beltin' pic! Loving the texture. Great start to the series. :)

That is really well done, John. I like everything about it - the placing and composition, lighting, texture, DOF, B/W conversion. Well done - a great start to this year's 52 :clap::clap:

Well I'm pleased to say that wasn't what I expected from you!

That is one impressive shot - give yourself a pat on the back. I'd thought about shooting my car, but only bits of the body. Having the snow on the tyre really adds something to the shot and makes it look used and rugged.

Hi John. I'm glad to see you're back on the 52 treadmill - although with so many people doing it, I had to search onto page 2 to find you!

But the search was worth it - that's an excellent shot and imho, you've definitely achieved what you set out to do. Great start - and only 51 to go. :LOL:

Jean

Beltin' pic! Loving the texture. Great start to the series. :)

Thanks very much Steve

That is really well done, John. I like everything about it - the placing and composition, lighting, texture, DOF, B/W conversion. Well done - a great start to this year's 52 :clap::clap:

Thanks very much Tracer

Well I'm pleased to say that wasn't what I expected from you!

That is one impressive shot - give yourself a pat on the back. I'd thought about shooting my car, but only bits of the body. Having the snow on the tyre really adds something to the shot and makes it look used and rugged.

Thank you Carol, even better to surprise ;)

Hi John. I'm glad to see you're back on the 52 treadmill - although with so many people doing it, I had to search onto page 2 to find you!

But the search was worth it - that's an excellent shot and imho, you've definitely achieved what you set out to do. Great start - and only 51 to go. :LOL:

Jean

Thanks very much Jean, there are a fair number this year aren't there. Are you wishing the year away already :LOL:

Nicley done John - little bit abstract which is a good thing in my book. Love the level of detail as well. It's great when you plan a shot, intend to make use of a certain technique and manage to pull it off. Fab start to your new 52 :clap:

Well, John, what can I say :thinking:

A fantastic start to your 52 this year and a shot I wouldn't have dreamed of taking in a million years :notworthy: :clap::clap:

I'm going to have to up my game to keep up with you this year young sir :love.it

Thats a stonking shot John and you have raised the bar high for the first week....lovely textures and contrast and a brilliant composition :clap: Top marks!

Certainly low key, well exposed and on topic. Very good!

Really like this one, original and technically well executed.

Thanks Rosario

Nicley done John - little bit abstract which is a good thing in my book. Love the level of detail as well. It's great when you plan a shot, intend to make use of a certain technique and manage to pull it off. Fab start to your new 52

Thanks very much Fi, it sure is, even better when others can see it to ;)

Well, John, what can I say :thinking:

A fantastic start to your 52 this year and a shot I wouldn't have dreamed of taking in a million years :clap:

I'm going to have to up my game to keep up with you this year young sir :love.it

Thanks very much Jill... I wouldn't bet on that one... but I'm doing my best to catch up ;)

Liking that, well done.:clap:

Cheers, Rob

Cheers Rob

Thats a stonking shot John and you have raised the bar high for the first week....lovely textures and contrast and a brilliant composition :clap: Top marks!

Thanks John... shame I'm going to end up with assymetric bars when taking week 1 and 2 together (week 2 being real low ....) I doubt I'm going to achieve anything like this for week 2.

Certainly low key, well exposed and on topic. Very good!

Thanks very much Ed

That is a great shot - fantastic texture, lighting and use of DOF to isolate the main topic.

Love the B&W processing and really feel this helps to bring out the best of the detail.

DB

thanks very much Dave

Thanks Michelle (y)

Thanks very much Mel

Back