It's all your fault Kerioak!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
It's been just over a year since we had to say goodbye to Willow, our much loved Lab x Collie. Willow came from a council dog pound in Wales, at the age of 18 months, where he only had a few days left, before being destroyed, that was almost 12 years ago. When we first got him, we soon realised he'd obviously been beaten with a stick and belt, but despite this, he still became the most loving and loyal companion, he simply was a brilliant dog, all he ever asked for in return, was to be loved, which he was, dearly.

Willow
_DSC0141.jpg

So it's taken a while to get used to the idea of not having Willow around and to think about rescuing another dog. It's at this point that the power of Facebook and TP steps in. I'm on FB as is another TP member, Christine Nichols (Kerioak), and because she's on TP we both follow each others pages on FB. The other week she posted a video on her wall about some dogs arriving at a rescue centre, and my heart melted at the sight of an obviously nervous and distressed dog being led to her new kennels after arriving by van to Dover from Ireland. Similar to Willow, she been picked up from the council pound with only days left to live. So earlier this week we went to see her at Chance Pixies rescue centre near Dover. She'd come on leaps and bounds whilst at the kennels obviously receiving some training and attention from the staff, but clearly still very wary.
So yesterday we went back to Dover to collect Elfie. She's probably only about 6 months old, and been here with us, at home, for the past 24 hours, she seems to be settling in surprisingly well.

Just a few snaps, no C&C required, just wanted to share.

A few pics from her first outdoor adventure.

The Smudgemeister, wondering what the big deal is about grass.
20101031-_MBP9620.jpg

Ok, so I know the harness is a bit too big!
20101031-_MBP9635.jpg

Seems to know where she's going
20101031-_MBP9638.jpg

After all that hard work!
20101031-_MBP9664.jpg

she's a beauty!
would love to get another dog, mainly to keep my one company instead of pestering me all the time....

Well done on the rescue, she looks a cracking dog, lost one of ours a few weeks ago to Cancer she was only eight,still coming to terms with the loss, Don't think it will be long before a new addition is here though.

Hope she has a great life with you.

Ah bless her - I'm sure she will bring you lots of happiness. Lucky pup has landed on her paws this time (y)

She looks lovely. Look forward to seeing more pics.

Just hope Christine doesn't know any cat rescue centres!!

Well Clive, as a matter of fact ................................. :D

Mark, I will gladly accept the blame for this and if anyone else wants to take on one of our dogs and blame me I promise not to complain. Thank you so much for homing Elfie - she looks to be settling in well and I look forward to seeing more of her.

Two of the dogs looking for homes can be found on TP here and the rest on the Chancepixies site

She's a little doll, I wish I could have a dog to keep me company but sadly I work all day and I'm allergic to fur and feather :(
Get a terrier or a poodle, a different kind of dog hair and suitable for many folk with allergies, Oh and a new job too.
We're on our second rescue dog, another Airedale called archie.

IMG_1251.jpg

Get a terrier or a poodle, a different kind of dog hair and suitable for many folk with allergies, Oh and a new job too.

Or a hairless like a chinese crested, or like a friend of mine rescue a dog with skin problems that results in almost complete hairloss. my friend has a bichon friese (sp?) that is completely hairless apart from a tiny bit of fluff on her feet and tip of her tail, still a gorgeous lively dog, just need sunscreen in the summer and a jumper in the winter :D

Mark,

What a beautiful dog!
She looks so settled with you and I'm really happy that you've found one another.

Well Clive, as a matter of fact ................................. :D

Mark, I will gladly accept the blame for this and if anyone else wants to take on one of our dogs and blame me I promise not to complain. Thank you so much for homing Elfie - she looks to be settling in well and I look forward to seeing more of her.

Two of the dogs looking for homes can be found on TP here and the rest on the Chancepixies site

Chrsitine,

I wish you hadn't posted that. Couldn't resist having a look and it breaks my heart to see so many dogs in need of homes. I know that they all need love equally, but it's the Staffies that get to me. I have a real soft spot for that breed. Unfortunately another dog isn't an option at the moment.

Mark,

Chrsitine,

I wish you hadn't posted that. Couldn't resist having a look and it breaks my heart to see so many dogs in need of homes. I know that they all need love equally, but it's the Staffies that get to me. I have a real soft spot for that breed. Unfortunately another dog isn't an option at the moment.

I know what you mean Sarah, I took on one of their rescues last year, a VERY difficult Dobermann boy, I already have a girl who probably would not tolerate another one around. I tried her out as I hoped to foster when they had their neutering ops so they could be in homes and kept an eye on but it was not to be.

I know what you mean Sarah, I took on one of their rescues last year, a VERY difficult Dobermann boy, I already have a girl who probably would not tolerate another one around. I tried her out as I hoped to foster when they had their neutering ops so they could be in homes and kept an eye on but it was not to be.

We had 2 Staffies for years, both of them rescues. We lost Luke about 3 years ago and Ebony's just too old and set in her ways to tolerate a new dog coming in (she's about 17 now)

Plus our circumstances have changed. When we first had the dogs Darren used to work shifts and weekends, so the longest they were ever left alone was a maximum of 4-5 hours maybe 3 times a week in a bad week.
He now works office hours the same as me. Ebony's fine with it - at her age she's not very active and spends most of the day sleeping, but it just wouldn't be fair for a younger dog.

It doesn't stop me wishing that we could rescue another one though.

Back