weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2023 - Week 2 & 3 Incomplete & Artificial

Name
Andrea
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm back for my tenth attempt at a 52 after completing it just twice (2017 and 2018) and skipping 2022 entirely. Some of my favourite photos have come from 52s so I hope this will inspire me to pick up my camera regularly and get my thinking cap on.

My aims will be:
To NOT get bogged down trying to create the 'perfect' image! This is where I fall behind.
To challenge myself with new styles and techniques when possible. This has been a big bonus of previous 52s.
To share the beauty and idiosyncrasies of the Isle of Man.
To enjoy looking at everyone's images and try to comment regularly.

Week 01: My Area
Week 02: Incomplete
Week 03: Artificial + tech Juxtaposition
Week 04: Transparent
Week 05 Snapper's Choice
Week 06: Knob(s)
Week 07: Letters
Week 08: (In the) Kitchen)
Week 09:

Last edited:
Week 1 - My Area

01 My Area by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Sneaking in before the next theme! Here's a "Merry Christmas" image from Port Erin steam railway station just before the trees and lights were removed. It's the first time I have used the tripod and planned an image since last summer so although there is plenty to improve upon, I'm glad the 52 forced me to make an effort :)

Nice one Andrea. Make sure you get us one with a steam treain on at some point :)

Great picture! My brother and I took a ride on that a couple of years ago from Douglas, it was a very relaxing journey.

I love the starbursts and the way they recede.

Great picture! My brother and I took a ride on that a couple of years ago from Douglas, it was a very relaxing journey.
Thanks Simon. It is a lovely way to see the scenery, although the last time I travelled on it, it was far from relaxing at the southern end as the thing was rocking all over the place! They have relaid that whole section now (after digging it up to lay pipes underneath) and I believe it is much a nicer ride so I need to take a trip this summer :)

Last edited:
I love the starbursts and the way they recede.

I like that Andrea. The starbursts work really nicely.

Thank you both, the starbursts are my favourite feature of this. It's months since I have done any "proper" photography so it was good to get the tripod out and spend some time on it :)

Nice shot to start another year, Andrea. Good use of small aperture for the starbursts.

By the way, I'm heading over to IoM for a short break in May with some friends. Will be my first ever visit to the island.

Thanks, Stan, I love starbursts so it was nice to have the opportunity. It's nice to be starting a 52 again and hopefully I can finish this time.

May should be a great time to visit the island - fingers crossed anyway! The colours and scenery should be good and you will be here before it all goes TT- crazy for 2-3 weeks. Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a quick "hello" somewhere.

Reactions: rpn
Starburst-tastic... big ones, small ones... love it!

Starburst-tastic... big ones, small ones... love it!

I agree great starbursts all nicely disappearing in the distance

Lovely shot Andrea, and the starbursts are very well captured.

Great starbursts and lots of leading lines(y)

Oooof, those starbursts! Love the shot.

Thank you for looking in and leaving a message, and apologies for taking so long to get back! Much appreciated.

Week 2 - Incomplete

02 Incomplete by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I didn't think I would be posting a catch up-image so soon in my 52 :( but this is one of the deep fissures in a local cliffside location where sandstone has broken up and left cracks of varying width and depth. Some are wide enough to swallow you up if you fell in and obviously there are lots of fences and warning signs around!

Hoping to have time this weekend to get caught up and look around the threads.

Best not to get too close to the edge there.

Nice detail in the rocks, and moss and sky - like that you have the clear view through between the two faces.

Good luck with getting caught up!

Best not to get too close to the edge there.
You're right there, Martin. People have died and been badly injured falling over the edge or into the chasms.
Nice detail in the rocks, and moss and sky - like that you have the clear view through between the two faces.

Good luck with getting caught up!

Thank you, Graham, it was the gap that caught my eye as it shows the nature of the area. It's the Irish Sea that you can see through the gap - a long way down!

My area is a cracking image Andrea really do like it, love the star bursts.
Incomplete is a lovely image and well taken too.
Thank you, Dave. I set out to get the starbursts so was pleased to get so many! :) Glad to see you posting again and I hope your recovery continues.

Week 3 - Artificial (and tech Juxtaposition)

03 Artificial (+Juxtaposition) by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Another catch-up image. I had this idea in mind when I saw the theme but today was the first chance to take this little fella outside in daylight. It's a handcrafted metal Robin and after trying unsuccessfully to pose it in low branches I settled for this wooden surface with grass beyond to hopefully tick the juxtaposition box with the contrast between metal and nature.

Works well with the smooth oof background. Lovely and sharp with detail in the metal.

Back