weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

Name
Andrea
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in again after completing my second 52! Before that I posted 51 photos in 2013, just one in 2014, reached halfway in 2015, and 18 in 2016.

My aim in 2019 will be first of all to finish again.
Secondly, I will take a new image for each theme and will not use an archive image.
Thirdly, I will challenge myself with new styles and techniques where the opportunity arises. This has been a big bonus of previous 52s and has resulted in some of my favourite images.
Finally, I will have fun and try to share some of the beauty and idiosyncrasies of the Isle of Man!

Thank you for looking in.

Completed themes and links:

Week 01 - New
Week 02 - Clean
Week 03 - Open (and B&W technique for Jan/Feb)
Week 04 - Distant
Week 05 - Cold
Week 06 - Waiting
Week 07 - Rough
Week 08 - Object
Week 09 - Wet
Week 10 - Free week
Week 11 - Entrance
Week 12 - Young
Week 13 - Food
Week 14 - Smooth (and SOOC technique for Mar/Apr)
Week 15 - Above
Week 16 - Hot
Week 17 - Light
Week 18 - Crowd(ed)
Week 19 - Decay (and Macro/close-up technique for May/Jun)
Week 20 - Free week
Week 21 - Whole
Week 22 - Fragile
Week 23 - Squash(ed)
Week 24 - Time
Week 25 - Full
Week 26 - Drink
Week 27 - Dirty (and colour pop technique for Jul/Aug)
Week 28 - Wide
Week 29 - Closed
Week 30 - Free week / Snapper's choice
Week 31 - Life
Week 32 -

Last edited:
Week 1 - New

01 New
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

In my son's back-lit gaming keyboard and headset I see new technology and 'new fangled' as well as two new purchases :) I opted to do this with the lights and screen off as I like the way the blue lights stand out in the dark and reflect in the computer screen.

Last edited:
Great image Andrea, well seen. Love how it shows the blue lights and just puts enough light onto the keyboard.

very nice i like the blue in it.
Ironically it reminded me mine had back lights but i always forget

Ooooh posh stuffs! Nicely shot!

Love this great shot Andrea, my Dell is also back-lit too. Great colours and good focus.

Thanks, Dave, my laptop is back-lit too but only boring white :D This one changes colour every few seconds but I liked the blue best and it matched his headphones :)

Great image Andrea, well seen. Love how it shows the blue lights and just puts enough light onto the keyboard.

Thanks, Mandy, I like the blue colours and experimented with the exposure until they were pretty much the only thing you could see.

Interesting shot and the blue lights certainly stand out, as you say.

Thanks, Bob, that's what I was aiming for.

Andrea, “new fangled” brilliant I use the words a lot but never thought of putting a photo to them

My sons would probably say I'm old-fashioned for using a phrase like that but it seems to fit this :)

very nice i like the blue in it.
Ironically it reminded me mine had back lights but i always forget

Thanks, Peter - my laptop has back-lit keys but only plain white, nothing as fancy as this :)

Very nice Andrea, lovely glow from the blue lights, works very well.

Thanks, Michael, it was top of his Christmas wish list and looks very fancy indeed as it cycles through the colours. I couldn't resist the blue, though :)

Something very eye catching about blue lights isn’t there, nicely done Andrea.

Thanks, Susie - it does all sorts of colours and effects but I liked the cool blue tones best (y)

Super image Andrea!

The reflections of the keyboard in the screen are perfect!
I love the low key look, and the cool blue works very well.
(y)

Thanks, Gareth, that's what I was aiming for. It took a little bit of experimentation and some adjusting of the layout (I got told off afterwards for moving it!) but it's just about what I had in mind.

That looks lovely - very high tech!

Thank you, he's very pleased with it :)

Ooooh posh stuffs! Nicely shot!

Thanks, Dave, it's certainly very flashy, in every sense :D

Very scy-fi looking - well done Andrea

Thanks, Ian :)

My laptop keyboard is backlit too, with the ability to have it different colours in different sections.
I like the use of the screen for the reflections and the way part of the reflections actually remind my of the back of a gas oven.

Very nice shot Andrea, like the glow from the mouse on the desk.

My laptop keyboard is backlit too, with the ability to have it different colours in different sections.
I like the use of the screen for the reflections and the way part of the reflections actually remind my of the back of a gas oven.

I can see how that might be useful in different sections. My son's is a gaming keyboard and has the option to change colours in waves and flames and all sorts - it makes me feel old!

I spotted the reflections in the screen as I was setting up so repositioned myself to get a fuller reflection up there, and yes they do look a but like gas flames :)

Very nice shot Andrea, like the glow from the mouse on the desk.

Thanks Roger, I wish now I had left a bit more room in that bottom corner but I think it's just about OK (y)

Worked out well Andrea, I like the reflection in the screen :)

I love the colours and the reflection in the screen, My son has also just bought himself a gaming keyboard with some of his Christmas money

I love the colours and the reflection in the screen, My son has also just bought himself a gaming keyboard with some of his Christmas money

Thank you, I like the blue colours too. This was for Christmas too and he's really pleased with it (after some very specific and heavy hints so we got the right one!) :D

Week 2 - Clean

02 Clean by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

As usual for me, the simplest sounding theme turns out to be really challenging. I will have what I think is a good idea for a theme but end up struggling to get there, and this was one of those. The mental vision of a nice clean sensor showing off those lovely colours seemed simple enough, but I found the combination of close focus and lighting really tricky, especially when said sensor is in such close proximity to a really shiny lens mount!

Then I thought the view of the sensor by itself was quite boring so added the element of a lens pen to suggest the actual act of cleaning and found even more focus and lighting challenges. So, after all that, this is my best effort. Fire away! :D

Last edited:
Clean
After all of your trials and tribulations you've got a really good shot.
I can sympathise with you, some themes should be really simple, but turn out to be quite tricky.

What a cool shot for clean ( Shame about the scratch :p) liking the colours and very good that you used the pen too.

Blimey, Dave, you had me going there with the comment about the scratch!! :bat: Thank you, it was a challenge - for me, anyway :D

Clean
After all of your trials and tribulations you've got a really good shot.
I can sympathise with you, some themes should be really simple, but turn out to be quite tricky.

Thank you, Dominic, and I'm glad you know where I was coming from. Next time my first thought is "nice theme, that should be straightforward" I will slap myself :)

Very nicely done. Good clarity throughout the image, good subject and nice colour to it too. Spot on

Spot on Andrea, think you have handled the lighting really well. Good composition the lens pen adds to it IMHO. :)

Nice take on the theme Andrea, in my top three for the week.

New....looks very sci-fi really well executed I think having a light up keyboard would annoy me though
Clean from memory as it’s dissapeared, nice shot showing the sensor the colours caught in it really made it stand out including the pen does really make the image work for the theme

Themes are always easy afterwards for some reason. :thinking: Some good detail captured in the image, not least the colours in the sensor and metalwork. Makes for a great image.
(Note to self must not buy another lens)!!.

I like it Andrea. Works really nicely and great positioning / composition.

Thanks, Tim, it was one of those ideas that just develops and the brush and its position was the last change :)

Well it turned out really well after all your hard work Andrea, perfect for the theme, everything looks spot on to me.

Thanks very much, Susie.

Yes, a great idea and a tricky shot. Hats off!

Thank you, Bob!

Very nicely done. Good clarity throughout the image, good subject and nice colour to it too. Spot on

The colours of the sensor were what I wanted, but the shiny mount was an unexpected hurdle. Thank you, Ian :)

Fantastic shot Andrea!
Super sharp and perfectly exposed.
I really like those colours across the sensor, the time spent on this image really shows, and the cleaning pen adds a great bit of extra story.
A classy image.(y)

Thank you for your kind words, Gareth. The pen was a late addition and definitely adds more interest.

Spot on Andrea, think you have handled the lighting really well. Good composition the lens pen adds to it IMHO. :)

Thanks very much, Roger, the lighting was tricky and got my brain ticking :)

Back