weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2024 - Week 2 Hard

Name
Andrea
Edit My Images
Yes
Starting six weeks late, this is my 11th (gulp!) attempt at a 52 after completing it just twice (2017 and 2018) and skipping 2022 entirely. I have hardly done any photography for two years but some of my favourite photos have come from 52s so I hope this will inspire me to pick up my camera regularly and get my thinking cap on.
I know I must try harder to NOT get bogged down trying to create the 'perfect' image each week as this is where I fall behind. I will try to challenge myself with new styles and techniques when possible as this has been a big bonus of previous 52s.

Week 01: Close to Home
Week 02: Hard
Week 03: Soft (+tech SOOC)
Week 04: Water
Week 05: Snapper's Choice
Week 06: Neat and Tidy
Week 07: Filthy
Week 08: Whole

Last edited:
Good luck with it.

Pretty sure I’ve seen (and liked) a lot of your stuff from previous years. Looking forward to a big old photo dump.

Thanks Kell, it's nice to be remembered after my patchy presence for the last couple of years! I have really enjoyed your work in the black and white thread and am looking forward to getting involved with the 52 again. Batteries charged, a few ideas in my head... :)

Welcome back Andrea, nice to see some familiar faces usernames!

Welcome back to the madhouse Andrea, your Thursdays will not be the same!

Week 1 - Close to Home

1 Close to Home by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I went out to get this image last Wednesday (see, it's working already - this was only the second time I've used my camera since November :eek: ). I wasn't 100% happy with it but haven't had a chance to try again so here's my week 1 image before I am eight weeks behind!

It's just a few minutes' walk from home and I've posted lots of views of this pretty beach before, often at sunset, but I was trying to show the seaside in the middle of winter, with seaweed driven up the beach by the recent storms, a walker wrapped up against the cold and the harbour lights coming on in the gloom.

Aiming to add a few more by the weekend.

Well, that's certainly a great start to your 52!! A very beautiful gloom I must say. Looking forward to your catch up

Thank you, Bob. It was dark a few minutes later :) Got a bit held up this week but I'm working on it will be adding more over the weekend :exit:

Welcome back, Andrea. Good to see you again for another challenge year!

I like the shot and the blue tone with a lone beach walker. Is that Port Erin? I was there last May with some friends.

Thanks Stan, I'm looking forward to it and hoping to keep up this time! Yes, it's Port Erin looking wintry just before sunset - hopefully it was a lot nicer when you were here!

Lovely shot to kick it off.

I think I would have been tempted to crop the bottom out as there's a lot of stuff in the foreground, but the colouring is lovely as it is.

Thanks Kell, more to follow very soon! I left that messy foreground in an attempt to show the state of the beach after a storm in the middle of the winter, rather than the postcard view most visitors would see, but maybe not quite so much was needed.

Good picture! I recognised Milners Tower in the corner there. It's very grey and dull compared to when I normally visit. Hopefully, it will be nice and sunny when I'm back again this year.

Welcome back Andrea and a great start. Lovely light and tone and the figure walking across the image adds another dimension.

I like this, very atmospheric and the lone figure adds character and a sense of scale.

Having fallen behind and failed to catch up on several occasions now, my advice would be to get on board with the current week and stay up to date whilst backposting the ones you missed when you get a chance.

Good picture! I recognised Milners Tower in the corner there. It's very grey and dull compared to when I normally visit. Hopefully, it will be nice and sunny when I'm back again this year.

Thank you Simon, I usually post the pretty sunsets here but wanted to show the beach in the middle of winter. I hope it is much warmer when you visit though :)

Welcome back Andrea and a great start. Lovely light and tone and the figure walking across the image adds another dimension.

Thank you Pete, I've always enjoyed the 52 and hopefully it will get me using my camera again. The man was walking briskly as it was so cold!

I like this, very atmospheric and the lone figure adds character and a sense of scale.

Having fallen behind and failed to catch up on several occasions now, my advice would be to get on board with the current week and stay up to date whilst backposting the ones you missed when you get a chance.

Thanks Nick, very kind. I have the ideas and/or images for the ones I've missed but may well take your advice if I can't get them done faster (y)

Week 2 - Hard

2 Hard by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

The phrase "As hard as nails" came to mind for this one and I love the texture of rust so I raided my late father's tool box for these old nails then purchased a new one to contrast with them. But I also found this idea "harder" than expected to get right and - as usual - I'm not 100% content with the result but it's close.

That works very nicely, like the colour contrasts and treatment.

Nicely set up. I like the idea although it says 'odd one out' to me, as well as hard, of course. The vignette works well.

I chose nails for the theme, but a really boring version in comparison to yours. Dammit.

Back