Michael23's 52! Revised Slide Show Added

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Hello to one and all who drops by and visits this thread! Now, I have looked at a fair few of these in the past and loved peoples pictures, admired all the determination and effort that everyone puts in. Looking forward to completing this project for 2011, so please look through and feel free to comment. (y)

This seemed a little tricky when trying to think of a subject to fit in with the title, yet it's such a simple theme.

With not much luck and not many ideas, I decided to go with this one.

Week 1 Accommodation, "Where film lives"

Accomodation.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shot, another different interpretation of the theme. I was quite perplexed until I saw your caption underneath so it made sense. Lets roll on the rest (excuse the pun) ;)

Hi Michael and good luck with your 52, your first shot looks like a lovely piee of kit but I think you need to take a bit more time with thought to composition and setup. Maybe just use a plain fabric or sheet for background and sit the subject on a hard surface to avoid creases. I would also be tempted to remove the strap from the camera to avoid the reflection from the metal parts of it splashing across teh camera body.

Hope you can accept my critique in the spirit I have given it and glook forward to seeing more of your 52. (y)

Haven't seen one of those bodies in years. Nice shot & good take on the theme
Thanks Ian, I love that camera, must get a decent roll of film and take it out again. (y)

Hi Michael and good luck with your 52, your first shot looks like a lovely piee of kit but I think you need to take a bit more time with thought to composition and setup. Maybe just use a plain fabric or sheet for background and sit the subject on a hard surface to avoid creases. I would also be tempted to remove the strap from the camera to avoid the reflection from the metal parts of it splashing across teh camera body.

Hope you can accept my critique in the spirit I have given it and glook forward to seeing more of your 52. (y)

Hi Tommy, many thanks for commenting, it probably was a little rushed, I have had a rough week suffering with migraines, so not really been able to put a lot into my photography. Looking at it now, I see all the things you have mentioned, many thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Here we go, An item that is new to me, my bargain (only £5.10p!!) uplighter from Ikea. Also, been looking through the filters available in photoscape, and came out with this!......

_MG_7589.jpg

Im really liking the box idea, I just cant make my mind up on the lighting, would you all agree that it should have a little more uniform lighting around it?

Week 1: I want one! Just to look at and hold 'cos I'm rubbish with film. Seriously, that's a lovely shot with lots of good shadow detail. I like the little starbursts on the lens. Clever interpretation of the theme.

Week 2: Beautiful subtle colour and light. Personally I don't think it needs the box filter, in fact I find that very distracting. Just put a border round the pic and you have a very nice image.

I like the second version better too. I can see what you mean wen you say you think it needs more uniform lighting but I quite like it as is, the light falling off adds to the image IMHO, nice one (y)

Love the 2nd version. I think I would have cropped it with equal space each side though.

Hi - yep, the second version - I was looking at the boxed one and couldn't quite figure out what was going on - I thought the corner of the photo had been cut off - of course, had I read underneath I would have "seen" that it was a box (doh me).

A little distracting - tho I do like very much like the idea of playing with those kinda filters (I have a dragonfly rubiks cube photo ;) )

anyhoooooo.... yep, like the second one much better. :)

Hello everyone! After a lot of deliberation of what I could photograph, I decided to go with a spur of the moment decision earlier on today. I decided on my wife's perfume bottle, had a few minutes of fair light outside. Here are the results, 2 pictures this time around as I cant quite make my mind up. So I welcome your opinions please, I may even have another go at this at some point. I have gone for the style of the bottle and some different styles of processing.

DPP_0011.jpg

DPP_0001.jpg

Hi mate,

The image of the bottle is promising, image#2 has slightly better lighting which brings out the colour a bit better.

Just one more thing Michael...and I really don't want to sound rude, but leave the tacky plugins/filters alone :nono: it just looks really obviously fake and somewhat spoils a nice image. I know that sounds harsh (and I really, really DO NOT want to hurt your feelings), but I noticed you used one on your lamp image too, and also how much better it looked without it. If you wanted a niced light sparkle, why not find a way of manipulating natural/flashed light to give you one? it's much more fun in the long run (plus you'll learn heaps from it too!)

Hi Michael, nice idea for the theme. Like the colours and it's nicely lit.

A few thoughts for improving the pic: I agree the starburst filter is just a distraction. I would have given it a bit of a polish to get rid of the finger marks. Not sure the fence post is the best background- perhaps drape a bit of nice velvet or something over the fence to give a more stylish background.

Anyway, nice pic and well done for keeping up (y), (I'm still struggling to get a good idea for week three :bonk:)

Hi mate,

The image of the bottle is promising, image#2 has slightly better lighting which brings out the colour a bit better.

Just one more thing Michael...and I really don't want to sound rude, but leave the tacky plugins/filters alone :nono: it just looks really obviously fake and somewhat spoils a nice image. I know that sounds harsh (and I really, really DO NOT want to hurt your feelings), but I noticed you used one on your lamp image too, and also how much better it looked without it. If you wanted a niced light sparkle, why not find a way of manipulating natural/flashed light to give you one? it's much more fun in the long run (plus you'll learn heaps from it too!)

Hi Paul, many thanks for your reply. Dont worry, you have not hurt my feelings there. When I did first post the images, I really liked the effect, but now, like my lamp image, i am going off the idea. So, hopefully will get chance to do a re shoot.

Hi Michael, nice idea for the theme. Like the colours and it's nicely lit.

A few thoughts for improving the pic: I agree the starburst filter is just a distraction. I would have given it a bit of a polish to get rid of the finger marks. Not sure the fence post is the best background- perhaps drape a bit of nice velvet or something over the fence to give a more stylish background.

Anyway, nice pic and well done for keeping up (y), (I'm still struggling to get a good idea for week three :bonk:)

How did I not notice the finger prints..:bonk: I was trying to find something suitable to put over the fence, and I had nothing that would suit. Good luck with getting your next image!

Hi Paul, many thanks for your reply. Dont worry, you have not hurt my feelings there. When I did first post the images, I really liked the effect, but now, like my lamp image, i am going off the idea. So, hopefully will get chance to do a re shoot.

cool! got myself a bit worried for a minute there, i'm not exactly diplomatic at the best of times :)

Have to agree on the filters - having it there is like going to a Michelin star restaurant and being served up a fantsatic plate of food with a McDonalds cheeseburger in the middle. :D
That said, the vignetting on the first image kinda works, and with a few less fingerprints and starbursts it would have been a fantastic photo.

As for the scenery, I'm undecided on the plain fencepost. On one hand a more appropriate background would have it look more in place, but then again I think it works as-is in a "what's a nice bottle like you doing in a place like this" kind of way. hmm.

Agree with the comments, second bottle for me too. I like the composition of the first photo right enough, not sure about putting it on a fence, but I know what it's like trying to stage some shots and you gotta go with what you have.

Thank you all for your comments. Its great to read them as it does help me see everything I have missed. Looked and looked around the house today, and not been able to locate a suitable background. A little annoying. But none the less, I decided to do give it another go, I have certainly decided to leave the filter thingy alone. This image is cropped a little as I felt there was to much dead space, plus the background was not very evenly lit.

_MG_7625.jpg

I look forward to seeing what you all think. (y)

That looks a lot better than the first 2 shots. Keep your eyes open for offcuts of fabric etc. They make great backdrops spread across a worksurface etc.

Hello everyone! Its been a very long week this week, been ill for virtually all of it, so not been able to do anything for this week, until earlier today. Having no inspiration at all I decided to take my astroscope out and bung on its solar filter, as the sun was out, albeit a bit cloudy. I decided to digiscope the sun, which was proving quite difficult due to my compact camera becoming awkward to use due to a fault. So persistence pays off, i'm quite happy with the result, the 1st is straight out the camera, and the 2nd I tweaked saturation to bring some colour out. Not the best in the world, only have 1 eyepiece which is high magnification, so only managed a small proportion of it. Hope you like them.

sun008.jpg

sun008-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Michael, another very interesting shot. I didn't even know you take pictures of the sun with a simple home setup.

It's a very eerie shot and make me think of other worlds (which I guess it is).
I like the composition. I prefer the colour version. A bit more crispness/detail would have been good (but I don't know if that's possible with this kind of shot)

Last edited:
Hi Patrick, many thanks for your comment. I use one of these on the end of my meade astroscope. I was hoping to have got some sun spots on the surface of the sun, but there were none visible at that time. Crispness wise, it could be better, there was quite a lot of haze around and the cloud hampered my chances. I would have preferred a picture of the full sun, with this eyepiece, the sun literally filled the fov, and wasnt able to use my compact at its wide end. Also my compact camera appears to be full of dust!

Back