weekly Alastair - Film 52 Challenge - Weeks 1-6

Edit My Images
No
Week 1 of the F&C Film/52 Challenge..

stormy seas, b&w (1/52)

Rising tide, onshore wind and stormy conditions. Not the ideal situation for testing a new lens. This has been taken using Fujicolor FP-3000B instant film using an RB67 Pro S and the Sekor C 65mm, ND8 filter.

I had to clear one of the P-backs to load with the new pack of -3000B (only arrived this morning), so here's a colour version taken with the last shot of FP-100C that was sat in the back.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael :D

My second week entry..

More black and white instant, again using the 65mm wide-angle. This is St Andrew, Little Snoring.

Really do like these Alastair....did you not get wet feet doing the first one! lol

I would be delighted to be able to get shots like these by the end of my 52 let alone at the beginning, talking of which I could do to get off here and get my own 2nd week sorted!

Thanks Asha, I came close to getting my feet wet.. but with some nimble footwork managed to avoid it.

I'll be delighted if at the end of the 52 I can take these shots without the silly mistakes.. the first week I did ok (I only took two instants and they're both shown above), this afternoon the "keeper" was the fourth shot.. the first two were blank (I'd forgotten to set the mirror-up switch back to normal) and the third was overexposed (I went by the meter reading and didn't apply the common sense my eyes were telling me - white reflective walls).

Thanks Asha, I came close to getting my feet wet.. but with some nimble footwork managed to avoid it.

I'll be delighted if at the end of the 52 I can take these shots without the silly mistakes.. the first week I did ok (I only took two instants and they're both shown above), this afternoon the "keeper" was the fourth shot.. the first two were blank (I'd forgotten to set the mirror-up switch back to normal) and the third was overexposed (I went by the meter reading and didn't apply the common sense my eyes were telling me - white reflective walls).

LOL Its good to know I'm not alone at making silly mistakes....The classic one I do is forgetting to set the lens focal distance or forgetting that many of the cameras I have won't focus below 3 meters!!
Forgetting to stop down, opening darkslides with shutter wide open etc etc ....I'm sure we've all done similar...thing is I appear not to learn from my errors! lol
I tried to make myself a "check list" but found even that didn't work as each camera is different. the mrs tells me it's cos I've got too much gear to remember how to use it all...That's just her way of saying 'have a clear out" ....not a chance! lol
I'm going to be late with week 2 shot .....sincere appologies to all. Incredible how fast a week passes.
How those doing 366s find the time, I don't know!
Looking forward to seeing your week 3.
Have you set yourself a specific theme each week or are you just shooting whatever takes your fancy at the time?

Have you set yourself a specific theme each week or are you just shooting whatever takes your fancy at the time?
Whatever takes my fancy, I'll refer to the challenge lists if I need inspiration..

Week 3..

Lots of trial and error with this shot. An urchin test collected from the beach a couple of weeks ago, and a piece of bog wood that probably detached from the preserved peat buried under the sand.

Lighting is provided by a cheap torch from the right of camera. No fill. As the project continues I'll have turns at getting more creative lighting film shots.

90mm plus No. 2 extansion tube at maximum magnification (x1.42 according to the manual).

More FP-3000B on order via Ebay.. ..

Seems the sea air affected your creativity brain cells in a very positive way.
The textures of both the urchin and the bog wood are just superb.
Such a simple light source too.
Good result of something a little different

Week 3..

Lots of trial and error with this shot. An urchin test collected from the beach a couple of weeks ago, and a piece of bog wood that probably detached from the preserved peat buried under the sand.

Lighting is provided by a cheap torch from the right of camera. No fill. As the project continues I'll have turns at getting more creative lighting film shots.

90mm plus No. 2 extansion tube at maximum magnification (x1.42 according to the manual).

More FP-3000B on order via Ebay.. ..

Nicely done. I miss shooting instant film, the fuji film is great, need a polaroid back for my 4x5 to take the film and boy are they expensive!!

Mart

Nicely done. I miss shooting instant film, the fuji film is great, need a polaroid back for my 4x5 to take the film and boy are they expensive!!

Mart

Mart, have a look on Ebay.. there's a guy selling Polaroid backs modified to Universal/Graflock compatibility that take the same Fuji instant packfilm I am using but will fill the frame completely. When you compare the price difference between 100-pack film and 4x5-instant film.. and then compare the size difference in the resulting image.. I know it's got me thinking along the lines of (eventually) a Crown Graphic and one of these modified backs.

Thanks Alastair, I had a look and might get myself one so that I can shoot instant again.

Mart

Weeks four and five together, week four has been sat waiting on me firing up the scanner..

Week 4..

Ely Cathedral, RB67 Pro S, 180mm Sekor C and Fuji FP-100C. Just caught the light nicely on a trip back from London. Pulled over and thought a train would never arrive..

Week 5..

Bandstand in The Walks, Agfa Optima 335, Fuji C200. I've been looking for a lomo-esque style auto compact for a while. Something that will fit in a pocket. Most of the hip models have been rising in price, leaving behind some classics from the mid-1970s like the Optima. I chucked a roll of C200 in and fired off a test roll in the time it took me to walk into town. 1hr developing at Jessops, and I've cheated by scanning the print rather than the negative.

Optima looks like a keeper alright.Nice sharp image, and the colours look good considering the film used.

Pulled over and thought a train would never arrive...

LOL.....as soon as I saw the shot I wondered how long you had sat waiting for the train!
There never is one when you need one:LOL:
The lighting is spot on.....diffused by the clouds.
The blue sky is just enough to break the large volume of clouds in the sky and for me the reeds of grass in the foreground add a nice depth to the scene.

Week 5..
[/QUOTE] I've cheated by scanning the print rather than the negative.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm need to do some checking on TP rules regarding "cheating"...I'm sure it's punishable by :jaffa: confiscation!:thinking:
I do like this shot, the composure, the colours and not a person in sight ( how do you manage that one?, do you scare them all off beforehand or something:LOL:).

Last edited:
a person in sight ( how do you manage that one?, do you scare them all off beforehand or something:LOL:).

Actually.. there is a person in that shot if you look closely.. .. ;)

Actually.. there is a person in that shot if you look closely.. .. ;)

I have recently been prescribed glasses, maybe I could do to go back for stronger ones!:LOL:

There looks to be a couple of specs in the far distance to the left of the bandstand which may resemble someone..... :shrug:

Asha.. I've marked the park keeper with a note on Flickr!

Brian, yup the colours aren't too bad for C200, it's my go-to test film simply because it's so cheap - i.e. free everytime I have a roll developed at Jessops, even if it's a roll of 120. As a result I usually wind-up giving it away when I've built-up a stack. The next roll might be some Portra 400 to see how it handles the good stuff, or perhaps some slide film for cross-processing. Depends on the what/when/weather.

Brian, yup the colours aren't too bad for C200, it's my go-to test film simply because it's so cheap - i.e. free everytime I have a roll developed at Jessops, even if it's a roll of 120.

To be fair, I've a soft spot for Poundland Kodak for similar reason. It's a bit pants, but it's interesting pants in a repeatable, non-Lomo way :LOL:

Asha.. I've marked the park keeper with a note on Flickr!

Well without that help, I doubt I would have picked him out!

A very nice photo nonetheless...well done(y)

Good going Alastair, some good shots, keep them coming.

I remember nearly going for an Agfa compact a year or so ago, but ended up striking lucky on a couple of boxed lots at a local auction.

Fuji c200 is usually my test film too. It's easy to get, cheap and reliable so you can get consistent results. I don't get it free though, I seem to live in a blackspot for Jessops (and Poundland too for that matter).

Really liking the instant shots, particularly the b&w. I've got a few packs for my RZ67 polaroid back which will get used sometime during the year. I've also got a couple of Agfa Sensors that will feature when the weather improves a bit.

Week 6..

Too cold to venture far, back to the FP-100C.

You really are getting the best out of the FP-100C, love the colours in this and great detail.

Thanks Nick, I also shot one stop over as well incase I undestimated the adjustment requred for the extension tube and the bellows at full extension (back at c. x1.42 magnification). The saturation really drops off with over-exposure using the Fp-100C.

I may be over-scanning these using 1200DPI. There are some irregularities in the emulsion showing. It's certainly bigger on the screen even at 600px than it is on the print!

Week 6..
Too cold to venture far, back to the FP-100C.

Sign of age when you won't venture out in the cold Alastair :D :D :D

Can be difficult to find inspiration when restricted to staying at home...Nice idea you have come up with here though.

Back