weekly Nigel's Photo52 - Week 5 - Secure

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Since this is my first ever commitment to any kind of long term project of this sort, so in order to give myself the best possible chance of making it, my rules are pretty relaxed:
  • 52 weekly shots kept up to date as required
  • Jokers to skip weeks as required (commitments and all)
  • Back catalog is ok to raid if something is uber suitable

Hopefully I can get the hang of this forum technology as well.

:bonk:

I'll store my images on Flickr, but I'll link them here as well

My Flickr set

Week 1 : Direction
Week 2 : Fear
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 : Sweet
Week 5 : Secure
Week 6 : Industry
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
It got tricky this week. How do you provide the concept of fear??? Someone looking angry, a spider? I dug deep in my own list of neurosees. My biggest fear is dementia. I don't have a problem with Mental Illness in general, but I have seen the devastating effects of dementia both on those with it, and the families that have to deal with it, and I would not like to make my family go though that.

head case by Nigel Johnson, on Flickr

Ok, the themes have gone nuts this week. My initial thought was to do something around Sunday evening, but trying to get that message across was proving difficult. Combined with my ability to over complicate things, and some "help" from people I work with... we got to this...

Wine-oh by Nigel Johnson, on Flickr

The image takes some explaining:

So it's Sunday, "Last of the Summer Wine" is on the box, which means it's nearly bed time and tomorrow's Monday <sigh>

Sorry.

The slight yellow tinge is on purpose along with some vignetting as I wanted an older style photo. The date on the calendar is September 1978 :)

This was the most fun to set up, fake ice, fake calendar, fake wine...

Last edited:
LOL, sigh is brilliant!

Hi Nigel,

One of the things i enjoy about this project is seeing how everyone else interprets the week's theme. You've made a very good start:-
Direction - really like this one, love the angle you've shot from

Fear- great idea, very well shot and presented, it' a personal fear of mine too.

Sigh- yep sunday night about 8pm i do start to sigh at the thought of work.
Well done.

All the best with week 4.

Carol

I really like the concept behind this image!
Last of the summer wine on the box is a great interpretation of the theme!

+1!

Direction - a US version on the theme
Fear - I like this one. Very poignant
Sigh - Nice interpretation and I guess you must have enjoyed emptying the bottles

I don't think you really want the entire thought process here, but basically I looked for a few phrases with "sweet" in them. I really wanted to do "Bitter sweet symphony" with lots of licorice playing small musical instruments but I couldn't find any toy musical instruments that small. So I plumped for a Shakespeare number... Romeo and Juliet at the end of Act 2, Scene 2 (according to Google) "parting is such sweet sorrow"

R.I.P. Mary Marshmallow by Nigel Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Nigel,

I really like all your images so far you'r obviously very creative. It's really hard to pick out my favourite image so far but they are really all very good. Look forward to seeing more of your work over the coming weeks.

Well put together, I like the thinking behind it. ;)

Hi Nigel... Welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm liking your thinking on the themes so far, some very unusual ideas !!!

so far my fav has to be your New York direction Shot, a great angle and nice colours

Fear - is Very unusual indeed, Sigh - is clever... Sunday night is a big sigh for many of us

Sweet - :LOL:

Ha, brilliant! I claim some of the rights though; coffins were my idea!!!!!

Ha, very good well staged image (y)

This weeks theme of "secure" made me think of my daughter and her blankey, but she'll probably grow up to hate me if I published that photo, so onto a current project I have on the go at the moment on Data Protection and information security.

Tough decision to make... which one to submit for the TP Photo 52 :)

Information Security by Nigel Johnson, on Flickr

Data Protection by Nigel Johnson, on Flickr

Secure Communications by Nigel Johnson, on Flickr

Personally, I'm leaning toward the third one because of the splash of colour.

Comments, thoughts and suggestions always welcome.

#2 and #3 for me Nigel. I think I need to borrow that chain and padlock to lock my sons Mac book up!!:LOL::LOL:

#3 just edges in front with that splash of colour!

Good ideas with a nice clean background!!

I could of sworn I had popped in here before, obviously not Sorry :(

Direction - Good take on the theme, really like it. Woule be tempted to clone out the cloud though and have perfect blue skt.

Fear - Another well though out and executed concept, picture says loads to me.

Sigh - Again very clever thinking and a good take on a hard theme.

Sweet - Really like the thinking behind this one, the lighting is great as is the POV.

Secure - Another vote for #3, as Sarah said the splash of colour really makes the image stand out, beautiful lighting as well.

Excellent start to you're 52 there, will be keeping an eye out as I really enjoy seeing photos that have obvioulsy been thought through.

I'm way behind on both my own and looking at others so I'm playing catchup :(

Sigh - I don't really see sigh I have to admit plus I think the shots a tad underexposed, but I do like your thinking and the effort you've gone into to set up a good still life.

Sweet - love it, well set up, great creativity and humourous too!

Secure - definitely the 3rd one, the composition is what makes it!

Tell me about it! due to my own overthinking and stumbling and due to my own self imposed rules I've had to come up with 2 variations on the theme which I'll post later, not allowing myself to do it 'til Ive caught up on everyone elses posts so I'll be here for the next hour or so at least I suspect!

So the theme this week was actually helped along by a project I'm doing for work on data protection and information security. I had a few ideas but this one stood out because of the splash of colour. The other options had a lot of plus side, and one was possibly a good stock image, but I liked the splash of colour :)

hi Nigel
I like your stuff. Direction is on theme and full of life and colour.
Without the explanation I would not have read so much into Sweet. I almost thought that it was the entry for Sigh as the faces are sad and the event portrayed is sad. Well set up and good lighting.

Secure- on theme. A good clean image with good lighting - Ilike the 'newness' of the items - contrasts with a lot of the older padlocks on display in the forum

Well done Nigel, nice idea (y)

Sweet - Great one. As sad as the scene is, I had to laugh

Secure - #3 for me. Nice composition and I think because the screen is on you can immediately see what it is.

Hi Nigel

apologies for having managed to miss your thread completely :crying:

Fear....very unusual take on the theme but completely get where you're coming from...nicely shot , good lighting , lovely reds :)

Sweet....made me chuckle...great thinking there & love those little marshmallows :clap: Black blacks , nice n sharp...& humour as well...(y)

Secure....like all the images but the splash of color def makes it a winner....nice n sharp , bang on theme & great lighting :clap:

Last edited:
Secure - a really good shot, clean lines and good lighting and agree it would make a very good stock photo.

Back