A smaller UK and what you want from it as a member of it

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi All
Let's say Scotland votes to leave the UK we will soon know on that score. I can see a lot of changes within the political parties that are left what changes would you like to see and why. Could a smaller UK be a better UK if we press for change most parties are going to be very edgy at best after a yes vote in the Scottish Referendum.
Regards
Richard

We should always be pushing for change and if it happens deal with this change as well.

On a practical level id like to see a change to the winter time.

Our borders also need to be beefed up. Ireland is still leaking like a diff but at least separated by water. Scotland won't be.

Many services and contracts must be brought back into the UK. Upon a yes vote that should be enacted immediately to ensure stability on the markets.

On a bigger scale I'd like to see a significant reduction in Government. There is no need for it and it should be shrunk.

Hadrian wall would need to be rebuilt and anyone of Scottish decent that wishes to remain the UK must conform to all the usual immigration ruling (right to work etc).

Jesting aside..(above is tongue in cheek) I would hope that England gets free prescription medication, just like our brothers in the rest of the United Kingdom.

My major concern about it is if(when) their economy crashes, will that have an adverse effect on the Smaller UK, causing another down turn etc?

I also think its unfair, since everyone in the current UK will be effected why should only people living above the border get to vote and we don't. Not democracy in my book but minority rule over the majority.

it would be good if the UK ex Scotland could use the opportunity to reduce MP's, redraw constituency boundaries and reduce government. There will be many opportunities for the UK when Scotland leave and we should look forward to it with eager anticipation.
Lets have a General Election in the UK and sort the LibDems out once and for all and let Mr Milliband know how much he is (not) appreciated

A great opportunity for the UK to move further forward ........

what do we call the UK ex Scotland, presumably names have been suggested?

Despite all the fuss and general hot air, I really don't think it will make much diffrence to either Scotland or the rest of the UK.

Scottish "independence" will not change much for the Scots, they will just vote for a different bunch of politicians.

what do we call the UK ex Scotland, presumably names have been suggested?

It would still be the UK, the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland - it's Great Britain that disappears not the UK.

Hadrian wall would need to be rebuilt and anyone of Scottish decent that wishes to remain the UK must conform to all the usual immigration ruling (right to work etc).

Jesting aside..(above is tongue in cheek)

Jesting aside I hope you realise that Hadrians wall is just North of Newcastle :)

Jesting aside I hope you realise that Hadrians wall is just North of Newcastle :)
Yeah, still.. not a bad idea and rebuild it there.. or a bit more south :)

My brother lived in Newcastle a few (20 odd) years ago in an area called walls end, think the only piece of the wall still surviving is there.

Last edited:
we need to take any change like this as an opportunity not a threat ....... if it happens, it happens, lets just get on with it and support each other

As long as there is a trading route for importing Irn Bru, we should be o.k.

Steve.

Hi All
I ask this question not to knock our Scottish brethren good luck to them in their choice is what I say.
But to establish more of what we would like to see for me these 2 would be a good starting point.
1 The E.U The public should have a vote on it my own personal feelings would be to stay in but to make them more accountable the accounts have never been signed off on I believe or at least not for a very long time.
2 No more sending stuff abroad if we can make it on our own shores. Remember if people are working they are paying taxes so in reality even if things are seeming to be more expensive they are not as the taxes go back into government coffers and the money that is paid to workers is in spent in local economies and this creates even more jobs along the way.

Last edited:
A nice idea but there's no way you could legislate that.

Steve.
You could if we were to leave Europe. Or even better if local companies were providing decent quotes and products that can compete. Least cost competition should not take primacy, however companies need to put some effort in to compete. As does government to stimulate business. Lowering of corporation tax and fuel duties would be a good start.

Please if you are Scottish please vote yes. Then we in south can have british summer time all year round rather than having to pander to scottish time. meant to add we will have 1 more hour for our hobby!

Last edited:
Please if you are Scottish please yes. Then we in south can have british summer time all year round rather than having to pander to scottish time.

Exactly what my wife said the other day as we reach the autumnal Equinox

Please if you are Scottish please yes. Then we in south can have british summer time all year round rather than having to pander to scottish time.

I don't understand this as the rest of Europe also change their clocks too.

On another note should the vote go yes would that also mean that all the EU workers now working in Scotland have to home or move down to England to work?

An interesting premise.
Let's discuss it when it happens :LOL:

Two things I mentioned in the other thread.
Stop buggering about with the clocks,
Either leave it on BST.
Or revert back to GMT in October and leave it alone from there.

And lets go for an independent England.
boot out Scotland, Wales and N.I. too.
They are always whining about something or other,
it about time they stood on their own two feet anyway.
:p

I work outside so have to finish an hour early in winter

I guess mike that that is a hours pay lost multiply that across southern/northern England thats a loss to the individual and the economy

Either leave it on BST.

but we will then get invaded ..... quite ironic really

lots of Scots thinking about moving South once the Yes vote is conformed

lots of Scots thinking about moving South once the Yes vote is conformed

Or even confirmed.
I don't think there's much to worry about.

but we will then get invaded ..... quite ironic really
What by a load of blokes in skirts waving swords? :D
No, we would have re built Vallum Aelium and / or the Antonine by then :)

What by a load of blokes in skirts waving swords? :D
No, we would have re built Vallum Aelium and / or the Antonine by then :)

Millibrands border guards will keep em out ……. forgot about that …….

It's not the blokes it's the women I'm worried about

Millibrands border guards will keep em out ……. forgot about that …….

It's not the blokes it's the women I'm worried about
:D

I can't remember if the "ancient law" of practising archery was repealed or not :D

I work outside so have to finish an hour early in winter
If the clocks stayed on BST those that start early, would be starting in the dark, so would have to
work an hour later, conversely, could you not start an hour earlier? if we went to GMT?

I'm sure there is quite an easy work around for either scenario TBH.

Either leave it on BST.

And Cornwall, get rid of all the sticky-out bits.

If the clocks stayed on BST those that start early, would be starting in the dark, so would have to
work an hour later, conversely, could you not start an hour earlier? if we went to GMT?

I'm sure there is quite an easy work around for either scenario TBH.
That would be completely out of the question :p

Scotland can't afford to go Independent and we will have to a bail them out financially. It's only a matter of time. They won't be worried though.......

Back