Anyone else use 500px?

The change is similar to the G+ photos page (the differently sized photos thing seems to be a trend in design to break the page space up) but I do like it.

On the whole I think I like it. Would like to see the friends photos page back, but I do like how you can see pictures your friends have liked etc. I think it will make the sharing of images easier and make your images more visable to a wider audience. I think the guys that were using it as a substitute for a webpage will be pretty annoyed at the changes though. But I've always thought that if you want a website then have a website, not a Flickr or 500px account.

Does anyone else think the 500px Market is a bit silly? I've just flung a stack of my photos on there. Not expecting any sales, but it costs me nothing, so why not?

The canvas prints come in three different sizes, which seem to be based on the aspect ratio of the photo. The cost is fixed at a cool $500. Yet you can buy a high res digital version of the photo for $2.99, which gives the customer the right to get it printed themselves at a print shop of their choice.

ETA: Just noticed they don't get a massive file size when they buy a download. Still, it would be nice if I could choose to price the canvas a bit more competetively, to garner a bit more interest. Meh. I won't get any sales anyway. Not sure why I'm whining about it. :D

Last edited:
Have had mine running for a couple of months now http://500px.com/DiStone, getting a tad *issed off with not being able to sign into Flickr at the moment from home for some strange reason. Tried most things and still no luck :annoyed:

Di

I've recently started using 500px to try and put together something that resembles a portfolio of my work. I use flickr and google+ but I'm no where as selective about what I upload onto those.

If you are interested you can check out my images here:
http://500px.com/RichGrundy

Started to use mine now, I have photo bucket as a place to just dump things, so I'll use this for just my best stuff like I think most are. Never liked Flickr as it would only have your latest 200 unless you paid...

I started one up to see what it was like in comparison to Flickr, after a week or so use I love it. I think I'll end up getting an awesome account and purchasing a domain name for a fairly cheap website solution.

http://500px.com/TomLoomes

Started a 500px account and have uploaded a few images, but i jet haven't round to really going for it. I could see it being a bit of a refined 'online' portfolio, although at this moment I'm not sure what Images I want to get on there.

Just registered to the site, do not have any pictures good enough to upload on there just yet.

I put a few new pics up every so often. Not sure how many people see them, but a few have not had anyone say they like them. (could be a chicken/egg thing if no one sees them ;)) Given that, I don't hold out much hope of people buying any. :( :LOL:

I like it as a place to put (what I think) some of my better pics. I'm just using it for my holiday images though.

Ah, just read the terms of joining and noticed that you can load a max of 10 shots a day and hold a max of 2000 on a free account. so much better than flickr in some respects.

I'm just not sure any of my shots are worthy of being on 500px

I signed up a couple of days ago. I think the 'experience' of the site is great, much more refined than Flickr in some respects and the quality of work on there is much better.

I've uploaded 8 shots so far I think - http://500px.com/mike_thomas

500px account I've opened for my Seychelles photos:

http://500px.com/jzseychelles

Now I've figured out how to embed full sized photos from 500px into forums and other sites, there really is no reason to go with flickr any more. Flickr also adds really irritating sharpening and contrast algorithms to resized thumbnails, meaning I actually have to soften my jpegs for them to look ok on flickr.

Ah, just read the terms of joining and noticed that you can load a max of 10 shots a day and hold a max of 2000 on a free account. so much better than flickr in some respects.

I'm just not sure any of my shots are worthy of being on 500px

For a free account it is 10 uploads a week, not a day, recently changed from 20 a week, the thing I like about the site is the presentation.

I got a notification the other day that someone had added one of my pictures as a 'favorite', which was flattering. :)

However, when I went to look at this persons pics, they haven't uploaded any pics but have over 330+ pages of 'favorites'. It seems an unusual thing to do to have about 4000+ 'favorites'. :thinking:

I am currently one of these :(. Only joined yesterday but have 7 pages of favourites :eek:. That's just because I added as many people off here as a I could and spend ages looking through all of their images to "catch up" and there are so many talented people on here :). I liked a lot of images and I favourited any that are in my area of interest that really stood out for me and are something I aspire to be able to do. So sorry if any of the wildlife or landscape photographers think they have a stalker :p, I did notice that the same few names cropped up quite a lot so I guess I just love your style! I haven't put any of my own up yet because I am having a think about which photos of mine won't look too terribly out of place amongst such talent!!!

I can understand having a few favourites, but 4000+! with no images uploaded. :thinking: Just seemed a bit odd. :shrug:

I find it interesting what images of mine have been popular(ish) ;) and what haven't had hardly any interest at all. :thinking: Makes me think about what I've posted on there, and try to understand what people are liking. :) And not. :LOL:

I joined 500px a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to have one of my pebble feet images as Editors choice and from then, the views have really taken off.
I prefer it to flickr, it seems to be a much more user friendly interface.

My 500px HERE

I nuked mine yesterday. I didn't use it and didn't like the photography style that predominated.

Back