Beach Sunrise (6x6 film content)

Edit My Images
Yes
img073cm.jpg

Mamiya C330 / 80mm / F32 1sec / Provia 100

I got a film back from peak imaging today, a film which has been in my camera for 4 months.
Here is my favorite at the moment, scanned, dust removed and crop/straighten.

Any c&c appreciated.

Last edited:
that's gorgeous, just gorgeous!

Just clicked though from the 'bump' thread and I think I might know why it hasn't had many comments.

Cos it's a great shot! :clap::clap::clap:

What more is there to say :shrug: (y)

Thank you all for commenting.

I just shot a whole roll of provia tonight at Worthing beach with very similar cloud formations so expect some more in a few weeks :)

Thanks again.

mstphoto, Medium format is amazing, this camera cost me £100 and beats the socks off my 40D.

Snap_Happy, I will post a link when they get scanned which may take a while. But it should be worth the wait as I shot a whole roll which is 12 images in one go!

I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like this one...

It could be:

1) The darkness to the right

2) The lack of definition on the breakwater (seems very soft/fuzzy)

3) The unbalance of the clouds vs the rest of the sky (you have the horizon on the third line, but after that the cloudline upsets the balance

4) The breakwater doesn't really work as a leading line IMHO - maybe its because it heads into that darkness to the right.

Anyway, its probably some combination of those things.

desantnik, Thanks for the honest crit its appreciated.

If I remember correctly the settings were F32 - 1 sec (ish) so there is going to be a bit of blur in the waves I was hoping for a lot more but it was to close to sunrise.
I decided to expose for the sky and let everything else go slightly dark as it was more of a focal point. The groyne is there to push your eye towards the sky but I agree it doesn't really comply with the rule of thirds.

It's a cracking shot (y), but IMHO, it's crying out for ND Grad filter, would help bring out some detail in the sea and retain colour in the sky.
As much as I love 6x6 I'm not keen on it for landscapes, see if you can pick up an old RB 6x7 :shrug:

mmm mm looks like fish fingers great . Pic GREAT:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the settings were F32 - 1 sec (ish) so there is going to be a bit of blur in the waves I was hoping for a lot more but it was to close to sunrise. .

Its not the waves I was talking about with the softness, it was the groynes (sp?). They really need a nice hard definition to make it work better... but it still fails as a leading line IMHO..

Sorry :D

Thanks for the comments, I am thinking of getting some filters for my mamiya just need to buy some.

Here are 2 images from the morning, excuse the really bad quality but I had forgotten my light meter so they were just for exposure. Notice how there is no amazing sky in the digital photos and is why I "try to" shoot film...

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4261-1.jpg

Its not the waves I was talking about with the softness, it was the groynes (sp?). They really need a nice hard definition to make it work better... but it still fails as a leading line IMHO..

Sorry :D

Nothing to be sorry about :wacky:

I was think the same thing, the groynes look very soft but full size they are really sharp so not quite sure what has happened?

Here is a crop to show that they are reasonably sharp..

img073cm-1.jpg

Hmmm must be loss of detail in compression there somehow :(

What did you mean by this?

Here are 2 images from the morning, excuse the really bad quality but I had forgotten my light meter so they were just for exposure. Notice how there is no amazing sky in the digital photos and is why I "try to" shoot film...

Not sure I understand - can you explain?

Sorry, I took two digital images that morning to use to get the exposure right and on my monitor they look really bad colour wise compared to the film image.

If that makes sense?

Ahhh I get you... hmmm there is no colour at all in those two digi pics, its just a nasty grey day. Did the sky change or did you add a purple filter? :D

Personally, I think there's too much empty sky and feel that cropping off the top half of the frame helps to make a stronger composition.

Regarding the digi pics, could your camera/post production software have auto-corrected the white balance? I don't see why you couldn't get the same shot
using digital.

Back