100 Strangers Complete!!

I remember you saying that you were looking for something different,
I think you found it, especially with the mini Bio's for each person.
Great stuff Iain, and I too will keep dropping by (y)

I remember you saying that you were looking for something different,
I think you found it, especially with the mini Bio's for each person.
Great stuff Iain, and I too will keep dropping by (y)

Thanks Chris (y)
Yes, I have certainly found it, as I mentioned above, this project has really caught my enthusiasm.

Another day out shooting for my 100 strangers project today in Bury St Edmunds which I really enjoyed.
I managed to capture another 4 stranger portraits which I post below.

I must admit, I am getting such a buzz from this project, long may it continue.

#5:100 Strangers - Clare
by iain blake, on Flickr

I met Clare in Bury Sy Edmunds whilst she was waiting for her nephew who was in a nearby shop.

Clare readily agreed to my taking her portrait and was happy to cross the road towards the Abbey to find a suitable background.

"I would love to have a big family - lots more children"

Thanks Clare!

#6:100 Strangers - Emma
by iain blake, on Flickr

I met Emma whilst she, her husband and two children were enjoying looking at the birds in the aviary of the Abbey Park.

I was drawn to Emma's hat on first noticing her and she readily agreed to having her portrait taken.

"it's tough not to smile"

"Advice to my younger self - don't worry or stress about things in life"

"Be happy"

Thanks Emma!

#7:100 Strangers - Paul
by iain blake, on Flickr

Paul was strolling through the park with his partner Zara when I first noticed him, or more to the point, his magnificent beard.

"I bumbled along from the age of 16 to 25 not really knowing what to do with my life when I landed lucky and got a job working on environmental issues"

"Advice to younger self - get your arse in gear and get out there"

Zara - "Its all about the beard"

Thanks Paul & Zara!

#8:100 Strangers - Nikki
by iain blake, on Flickr

Nikki from Thetford was walking along with her partner and son in his buggy when I couldn't help but notice her red hair.

Having explained the 100 strangers project, Nikki reluctantly agreed to having her portrait taken.

"I dont do photographs" she said!

"I am happy going along and seeing where life takes me"

"I am a hairdresser and sometime artist having commissioned a wall mural at a local community centre"

Thanks Nikki

Agreed. Shot 5 (Clare) has great lighting. Do you check out suitable backgrounds first before you ask people?
This is a great thread - not just the photos but the snippets of their lives that go with them.
Fantastic. Keep em coming! (y)

Another cracking set Iain... the first shot is the fav from the Bury outing, love the light and background... this is going to be a very popular thread I feel mate (y)

Thanks Dean (y)
Not sure about the threads popularity though, I just like having these all in the one place and the project/chalenge forum seemed the best place :D

Nice project, not only helping improve photography skills, but also communication and confidence in striking up conversation with anyone.

Well done

Agreed. Shot 5 (Clare) has great lighting. Do you check out suitable backgrounds first before you ask people?
This is a great thread - not just the photos but the snippets of their lives that go with them.
Fantastic. Keep em coming! (y)

Thanks Lee, yes, I had an idea where I would like to shoot one of my stranger portraits then just sat and people watched until a stranger came along. Or in the case of #5 Clare she was waiting outside a shop for her nephew. I approached and asked her to pose for her portrait which she obviously agreed to.

We crossed the road towards the entrance arch to Abbey Park where I positioned Clare under the arch.
I directed her in the pose which I lit with a reflector, quite simple really.

Everyone so far have been fantastic, asking "where did I want them to stand/sit?"

I am really enjoying this project and I have been pleasantly surprised that everyone asked has agreed.

Last edited:
Loving this thread Iain.

I'd really like to have a go at something similar to this myself but living in Newcastle I'm pretty sure if I tried it I'd get my head kicked in :)

Thanks Danny.

I think you should have a go, I am willing to bet you will be surprised.
If you were to start off in the city centre and be very choosy on your subject choice, perhaps asking a few youngsters first, they love having their photograph taken, I think that would work.
I have had cards made up from moo, with all my contact details on which I have handed out to the strangers.
I think this shows an openness to communicate, people could check your details almost instantly, I have given my email address, mobile telephone number, my Facebook photography page and link to flickr on the cards.

Nice project, not only helping improve photography skills, but also communication and confidence in striking up conversation with anyone.

Well done

Thanks Mat, I wanted to do more people photography and this is ideal for that purpose.
Plus, no having to pay for models and that appeals to my Scottishness :D

The striking up a conversation with anyone bit comes a lot easier, my wife has often told me that "I'd talk to anyone":D

Some more truly amazing images, these are out standing. Not sure I could walk up to a stranger and ask to take their photograph.

Thanks Mandy (y)
Its a little daunting at first but the enthusiasm for the project has taken over for me now :D

#6:100 Strangers - Emma
by iain blake, on Flickr

I met Emma whilst she, her husband and two children were enjoying looking at the birds in the aviary of the Abbey Park.

I was drawn to Emma's hat on first noticing her and she readily agreed to having her portrait taken.

"it's tough not to smile"

"Advice to my younger self - don't worry or stress about things in life"

"Be happy"

Thanks Emma!

Iain, this is a belter. Great eye contact and a wonderful expression.

Bold above are wonderful sentiments.

Great work buddy (y)

Iain, this is a belter. Great eye contact and a wonderful expression.

Bold above are wonderful sentiments.

Great work buddy (y)

Thanks Andy, this project for me has been a revelation.
Before I went much further with it, I wanted to give more meaning to the dialogue that accompanied the photograph.
I felt asking deeper questions would help develop that dialogue.

I know this might sound a bit ott to some but I don't mind that, I am thoroughly enjoying the 100 stranger project.

I've been watching these pop up on Flicker, and they're a cracking set of portraits, the accompanying snippets really connect you beyond just the image too. A pretty ballsy project IMO, but well worth it, looking at the results. You do people even better than you do cutlery and stones... Tidy!

I've been watching these pop up on Flicker, and they're a cracking set of portraits, the accompanying snippets really connect you beyond just the image too. A pretty ballsy project IMO, but well worth it, looking at the results. You do people even better than you do cutlery and stones... Tidy!

Thanks Nick(y)
Cutlery and stones :D

Nick said pretty much everything I was going to say. Even down to cutlery & stones.

I did wonder about extending it to combine the 52 themes. When your stranger wants to know what to do (smile, frown etc) ask them to think of something that reminds them of (for example, week 1 is...) Bliss.

Keep it up oh ye with the cool name.

Nick said pretty much everything I was going to say. Even down to cutlery & stones.

I did wonder about extending it to combine the 52 themes. When your stranger wants to know what to do (smile, frown etc) ask them to think of something that reminds them of (for example, week 1 is...) Bliss.

Keep it up oh ye with the cool name.

Thanks Ian, I think combining it with 52 themes would be a step too far, that'd be quite a challenge. :D

good stuff Iain.
Quite daunting but you seem to have handled it well.
I like the similarity of the poses and crops - it adds to the whole.
I like the colour tones that you have been able to achieve and wonder whether this will be more of a problem to replicate as the sun starts to shine. Will be interesting to see.

good stuff Iain.
Quite daunting but you seem to have handled it well.
I like the similarity of the poses and crops - it adds to the whole.
I like the colour tones that you have been able to achieve and wonder whether this will be more of a problem to replicate as the sun starts to shine. Will be interesting to see.

Thanks for visiting my thread Alan(y)

Yes it was quite daunting at first but once I got over that initial portrait/approach to my first stranger it wasn't so bad. I am getting quite a buzz from the project I must say.

Photography wise and your mention of when the sun comes out, that's where some of the challenge comes in. I wish to have a consistency about the look of the portraits and I shall have to pick my backgrounds wisely. I would try and pick a background in the shade and ask the stranger to pose there. So far people have been very accommodating.

Thanks again Alan

Superb images Iain. I'm subscribed!

Thanks Brian (y)
I intended to get out today to shoot more but it never happened. I am hoping I will have more luck tomorrow.
Its quite addictive now that I have started and seeing the project taking shape. Chests;):cow:

Hi Iain

just found your project thread.......superb idea & superb shots , as I've said before , you really do have a way with the camera ....

Like all the images but the standouts for me are Clare...love the lighting on her face & pin sharp focus on the eyes & wing commander...that's one awesome tash , love the words that accompany each shots as well ,gives them more depth & reality:clap::clap:

Now subscribed & look forward to seeing more (y)

Hi Iain

just found your project thread.......superb idea & superb shots , as I've said before , you really do have a way with the camera ....

Like all the images but the standouts for me are Clare...love the lighting on her face & pin sharp focus on the eyes & wing commander...that's one awesome tash , love the words that accompany each shots as well ,gives them more depth & reality:clap::clap:

Now subscribed & look forward to seeing more (y)

Hi Lynne
Glad you found my thread, its a little competitive to keep it on the front page what with all you 52'ers ;)
The project is developing as I go along, as far as the words are concerned, I take my inspiration from the Humans of New York page on Facebook.
I wish to give a little insight into each of my stranger portraits beyond the photography.

Thanks for looking in Lynne (y)

Thanks Brian (y)
I intended to get out today to shoot more but it never happened. I am hoping I will have more luck tomorrow.
Its quite addictive now that I have started and seeing the project taking shape. Chests;):cow:

I'm also a follower of the Humans of New York and Believe it or not I have considered a 100 Strangers project myself - although I took on too much last year and learned a different kind of lesson- anyway... I like how you are going for a "headshot" each time, the whole "panel" thing is SO YOU. It would make for a cracking poster print when you are done.

Chests indeed :D

:cow:

Loving the latest shots Iain - probably Clare and Paul are my picks.. Clare for the lighting and Paul for the awesome beard :D

Thanks Marcus,
the lighting on Clare, I feel is a little bit of a marmite thing. Personally I love it, but its had some mixed reviews over on the flickr group for the project.
Paul does indeed have an awesome beard, that was what drew me to him and he was a thoroughly nice fella too :)

I'm also a follower of the Humans of New York and Believe it or not I have considered a 100 Strangers project myself - although I took on too much last year and learned a different kind of lesson- anyway... I like how you are going for a "headshot" each time, the whole "panel" thing is SO YOU. It would make for a cracking poster print when you are done.

Chests indeed :D

:cow:

I do like the narrative that the Humans of New York shooter has with the images, I am striving for similar.
i am not so sure about the full length shots though, I enjoy the head and shoulders composition more. I feel it is a little more intimate and the viewer can really 'see' the person.
As for a poster print, I am already on it :D. I have this very afternoon started that very thing in photoshop. I have edited my stranger portraits that I have so far slightly. In order to include each portrait on a print, they have been cropped square and will be laid out in a 10x10 grid. I will add each portrait in this format to the photoshop grid as I go. Once finished, i shall get it printed, already looked at this too, I can get a 24'x24' poster print from DSCL at a decent cost. I have created 2 in fact, one colour, the other B&W.

Cheers Brian(y)

Tell me about it matey - I think since I kick-started mine again my thread has seen just x2 new visitors and one of those was you lol :D

I am sure the 52 side of things will calm down a little in the coming weeks/months and the forum will be a little less busy.

#9:100 Strangers - Lesley
by iain blake, on Flickr

Lesley is from Paris but has been in the UK for over 1 year now.

A part-time clothing salesperson but professional dancer.

"It is my ambition to get a part in a West End musical"

"The future?"
"I study sophrology which is a personal development technique which allows a more conscious living. It is a way of dealing with stress"

Good luck for your future Lesley!

#10:100 Strangers - Colin
by iain blake, on Flickr

Colin is a partner in a business on Old Spitalfield Market.

"the last stop for the curious vintage" as his business card says!

Everyday Colin told me he dresses in a three piece suit and top hat and goes to work.

A fellow Scotsman like myself, Colin was homeless and living on the streets just 18months ago. Having lost everything in a business deal, he was homeless for 4 and a half years.

"Possessions count for nothing"

#11:100 Strangers - Lucy
by iain blake, on Flickr

Lucy also has her own business in Old Spitalfield Market selling bespoke silk lingerie. The garments are made from imported silk as part of a community project between the UK and such places as India Lucy told me. It is an ethical project supporting fair trade between the countries.

Lucy hopes to expand her 1 year old business in the future.

She has always loved dressing up. An early memory is that of Lucy as a 5 year old going round the supermarket dressed up in a silk dressing gown with her mother.

"Life is a game of dress up"

Back