Bokeh

Neat idea like it

Nice idea! I might have to borrow that one if i find the right backdrop!

I did something similar arsing around with a lens adaptor - took the element out and held it in front of the lens

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice idea - however: I find the back ground a tad noisey, Im sure a little PP could improve this

I might give that idea a go myself

Les (y)

That's one I'll be trying to emulate. Nice shot.

Might be even nicer without the silicon case on the phone.

then wouldn't it get a bit distracted?

I was mainly trying to focus on the phone and the image on the screen.
Not sure... for me the night shot with the lights helped show the same scene, to me the daytime shot of the phone could be an image of an entirely different background - in the big ben shot you could tell big ben was in the background, I cant see the same thing about Nelsons column, so seeing more of st pauls (if that is what it is) might help my poor brain

just a thought :)

Last edited:
I do like this idea (so much so I gave it a go myself). I can see where Dark Knight is coming from with the Nelsons Column shot, I feel that having the background even a slight bit more in focus would have helped. I think if the shots are going to be done from eg f/1.4 - 2.8 there really need to be something which stands out the background, be it lights, or a bold colour. If there is nothing like that, i'd be inclined to have a play with your aperture and see how it goes.

Like you I had a go at f/2.8 but had some leading lines and colours which still gave an idea of the background (albeit my back garden and not a famous London backdrop:LOL: )

If you want me to remove the image, give me a nod and I'll delete it(y)

Sensation XL Sin City by swordjo, on Flickr

Today I tried it again without the case and the hand, felt like a commercial photograph I think.

Please comment!

Much better with the clean lines of the phone, I do agree with the others though, the main pic should be slightly more in focus, just enough to make the shape of the column a little more distinct.

Love the idea. Have never tried this. Now going to.

Inspirational

I do like this idea (so much so I gave it a go myself). I can see where Dark Knight is coming from with the Nelsons Column shot, I feel that having the background even a slight bit more in focus would have helped. I think if the shots are going to be done from eg f/1.4 - 2.8 there really need to be something which stands out the background, be it lights, or a bold colour. If there is nothing like that, i'd be inclined to have a play with your aperture and see how it goes.

Like you I had a go at f/2.8 but had some leading lines and colours which still gave an idea of the background (albeit my back garden and not a famous London backdrop:LOL: )

Nice shot Jonathan.
You dont need a famous London landmark when you have the fountain.
(Is that Airdrie or Coatbrigggggg)?

Grape7 said:
Nice shot Jonathan.
You dont need a famous London landmark when you have the fountain.
(Is that Airdrie or Coatbrigggggg)?

The Brig!

swordjo said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swordjo/7372227592/

What lens did u use for these shots? The bokeh is creamy...

Back