Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

After a shooting which took couple of hours with the 70-200 f4 IS + body + 600ex rt + BG E11 I just wanted to throw it away :) You do get pretty tired carrying that kind of combo.

But the results are astonishing.

I never bothered with a strap until i got my 5DMKIII. Ive been so used to just carrying my camera's around, with a small wrists strap for extra security, but when i got the 5D i started getting a pain in my elbow. Not when carrying the camera but afterwards, when i would try and bend it.
I now use a Joby Ultrafit Sling strap when im going to use anything bigger than my 100mm prime, and i know ill have the camera out of a while.
I like the Joby as it automatically resizes when you want to put the camera up to your face, and is very easy to lock it against your body when walking around.
Saying that i did order a Black Rapid start last week, as i like the idea of not having to unscrew the camera connection all the time. The order was cocked up though (down, as always to a lazy courier on a sat) so ive cancelled the order and will continue to use the Joby.

Oh, and i also have a Canon 270EXmkII as this is much lighter to carry around for fill flash and off the cuff shooting than my 580EXII.

Last edited:
I work in IT for a bank, why do you ask?

Just curious, you seem knowedgeable on this stuff so I wondered if you were some kind of physio, how very wrong :LOL:

Sorry to hear about the rotator cuff, that's one of my biggest fears. The resistance bands are fantastic btw, I use them to stretch my shoulders/rotator cuffs. Tie it to a bannister or door handle if you can.

I am hypermobile so all my joints are rubbish, I'm just as likely to sprain an ankle as I am to having wacky/ pinching shoulders! I get VERY nervous walking on unstable ground with my lovely 5D, let alone worrying about the discomfort carrying it!

As such I am awaiting delivery of the new Manfrotto Befree travel tripod that is a lighter weight version that I can carry around more often than my current model. I also use my monopod more often too.

After a shooting which took couple of hours with the 70-200 f4 IS + body + 600ex rt + BG E11 I just wanted to throw it away :) You do get pretty tired carrying that kind of combo.

But the results are astonishing.

Try it with a 300mm f/2.8 and a 2x converter slung on the front of the 5DMKIII... Then it gets tiring after a few hours! :D

Just curious, you seem knowedgeable on this stuff so I wondered if you were some kind of physio, how very wrong :LOL:

I am hypermobile so all my joints are rubbish, I'm just as likely to sprain an ankle as I am to having wacky/ pinching shoulders! I get VERY nervous walking on unstable ground with my lovely 5D, let alone worrying about the discomfort carrying it!

As such I am awaiting delivery of the new Manfrotto Befree travel tripod that is a lighter weight version that I can carry around more often than my current model. I also use my monopod more often too.

I do alot of Olympic lifting in my spare time so I just end up picking up alot of knowledge from trainers/various sources.

I bought a collman 200t nanomax to take on holiday, it's very light, however it only extends to 82cm :LOL: and I'm not sure the head can take the weight of the 5D properly. The befree looks great, I just couldn't justify another manfrotto tripod :(

The Befree arrived yesterday, it's amazingly small and sturdy, although I've not tried it with the 70-200 attached yet!

Ive never seen the Beefree before, but it looks like a nice tripod.
Please let me know what you think of it after a few days of use.
I need to replace my hardly ever used 055XPROB with something ill actually take out with me, so ive been looking at the Benro range, but i do like the look of this one.

The Befree arrived yesterday, it's amazingly small and sturdy, although I've not tried it with the 70-200 attached yet!

I've also seen this and I'll be interested to hear how it performs. The 3 Legged Thing Adrian or Dave are also on my shortlist, but more expensive.

Well I'm hoping for a day trip to Oxford on Friday to take the kids and do the touristy thing, occasions when I wouldn't lug about my normal tripod but the Befree is so small in comparison it will most likely come with me. I'll let you know what it's like.

Although first thoughts are its incredibly easy to use and fast to set up, I had a look at it late last night when I got home.

How small does it collapse to? This may be an option over the 190XB, If I can't sneak it in the hand luggage.

How small does it collapse to? This may be an option over the 190XB, If I can't sneak it in the hand luggage.

It collapses down to 40cm which is tiny compared to the 190x (which is what I currently have as well) It's also very light. It has been designed so it will fit in your hand luggage. If I finish early enough tonight I'll get a photo of the two together.

Try it with a 300mm f/2.8 and a 2x converter slung on the front of the 5DMKIII... Then it gets tiring after a few hours! :D
I have that on my left side. On the right side is a 5Diii with a 500F4 + 1.4TC. It's all well balanced and can be carried about all day like that with a double Black Rapid. It's all the lifting and shooting that gets tiring.:LOL:

I have that on my left side. On the right side is a 5Diii with a 500F4 + 1.4TC. It's all well balanced and can be carried about all day like that with a double Black Rapid. It's all the lifting and shooting that gets tiring.:LOL:

*scraches head*

Why do you carry a 300 with a 2x and a 500 with a 1.4 at the same time? Genuinely curious cos I can't work it out!

It saves me from keeping the 2x in it's bag and forgetting to take it out. In fact, with the new F8 Autofocus upgrade, the TC's are now kept the other way round with the 2x on the 500 giving a 1000mm F8 and the 1.4 on the 300 giving a 420mm F4.:)

my shoulders were destroyed when i went for a long photowalk a few weeks ago but that was due to me using a shoulder bag.

i only felt the after effects when i got back home

my shoulders were destroyed when i went for a long photowalk a few weeks ago but that was due to me using a shoulder bag.

Did exactly the same thing a while ago. It's actually one of the reasons I got into strength training. With a mind to improve my landscapes :)

backpacks are much better for your back. Shoulder bag is probably more for quick access for an extra lens or two.

backpacks are much better for your back. Shoulder bag is probably more for quick access for an extra lens or two.

I also prefer backpacks, but have recently been looking at these Billingham Hadley Pro bags, as they seem to get really good reviews. Anyone got any experience of them?

Hi guys, not posted in a while!

Need some help.

I've just received my Canon BG-E11 grip (ordered from Digital Rev yesterday morning, arrived today - very impressed!) and I've attached it to the camera body but it's not activating the shutter release.

The AF seems to be working with a half press, and the wheel and joystick seem to be doing their jobs ok, but it just will not take pictures!

That dreaded 'Oh no' feeling is starting to kick in... but hopefully I'm just missing something!

Anyone got any ideas at all? Cheers in advance!

Need some help.

I've just received my Canon BG-E11 grip (ordered from Digital Rev yesterday morning, arrived today - very impressed!) and I've attached it to the camera body but it's not activating the shutter release.

The AF seems to be working with a half press, and the wheel and joystick seem to be doing their jobs ok, but it just will not take pictures!

That dreaded 'Oh no' feeling is starting to kick in... but hopefully I'm just missing something!

Probably a really stupid suggestion.. But you haven't got mirror lockup enabled have you?

Probably a really stupid suggestion.. But you haven't got mirror lockup enabled have you?

Cheers for reply James.
Nope, haven't got that enabled (even though I knew that I just double checked, you never know!)

I'm going to try a different lens and see if that makes any difference at all, but I highly doubt it :|

It collapses down to 40cm which is tiny compared to the 190x (which is what I currently have as well) It's also very light. It has been designed so it will fit in your hand luggage. If I finish early enough tonight I'll get a photo of the two together.

That sounds very manageable. I really like the look of this tripod but I notice it comes with the RC2 plate system (by the looks of it).
I'm after going towards Arca-Swiss as I really don't like the RC2 system (not really sure why, I just don't).
Ill wait for your user report but I'm now leaning towards a Benro Travel Angel II.

That sounds very manageable. I really like the look of this tripod but I notice it comes with the RC2 plate system (by the looks of it).
I'm after going towards Arca-Swiss as I really don't like the RC2 system (not really sure why, I just don't).
Ill wait for your user report but I'm now leaning towards a Benro Travel Angel II.

Have you looked at the 3 Legged Things?

Have you looked at the 3 Legged Things?

I know about them but I've got a £250 Amazon voucher so plan to use that. I know that limits my choices but I'm not really a heavy tripod user, I just want something more portable than my Manfrotto so I'm more inclined to take it out.
I only use my 5D with either my 24-70 MKII or 70-200 f/4 IS so it doesn't need to be too sturdy.

Marsha, no rush and i hope your 4 year old is feeling better.

do you use it for walking around a city?

You could do. It's a bit big for that though at 60L or whatever it is. I use it when I go walking somewhere in the country enough space for camera, lenses, flash, filter, 2nd camera, 3 litres of water, spare clothes, lunch and my tripod fits nicely on the side.

My 5D3 hums silently while metering is engaged, no lens attached. Best heard near the battery door, under LCD. Anyone else noticed that?

Need some help.

Unless DR has some warehouse in UK, I think you got some kind of returned item. Normally DR dispatches from Hong Kong and that would take at least a couple of days to arrive. Sad to hear the Grip is not functioning correctly.

Not sure if I'll keep mine. I have to say there are things I like about the 5DIII but I wish it had a couple of more frames per second. The silent shutter is great, large rear screen and big file size. Going to give it another weekend but I think I might just sell it.

Not sure if I'll keep mine. I have to say there are things I like about the 5DIII but I wish it had a couple of more frames per second. The silent shutter is great, large rear screen and big file size. Going to give it another weekend but I think I might just sell it.

That's a shame. What would you get instead?

Put a 1000x cf card in it and your buffer will increase to about 25 images before it stops
the increase is due to it writing to the card so fast

Back