canon 60d owners thread

How many "Bodies" do you have:LOL:

500mm nice lens;)

Only 2 bodies mate, all you need really!

The 500mm stays on one body pretty much all the time and then i swap between the other lens on the other body.

Mainly keep the 500 though as well due to motorsport Photography etc, like at Donington on the 23rd we shall be definately using the 500mm as we are photographing the GP track too. looking forward to the new start of the season! :D

I just picked up a Meike Grip for my 60D at £26. Overall very happy with it, camera feels secure and the extra weight is also nice.

I just picked up a Meike Grip for my 60D at £26. Overall very happy with it, camera feels secure and the extra weight is also nice.

The Meike grips are ok if you are doing allots of photographic work other than that it a waste, anything better then paying for a Canon one Right;)

Be careful not to drop it with the camera as it is only made in plastic from China. apart from that you should be ok

They have at least one less now :)
Had the 550D for a couple of years, pretty happy with it, too.
I wanted a bit better body and had unclean thoughts about the 7D. When it came down to it, I don't shoot sports or war-zones, so the great headline 7D features of magnesium alloy, 8fps and 29AF points were overkill for me.
Taking those out left me looking at the 60D. Cue lots of contradictory reviews, as usual, and this thread.
I'm sure I've made a good choice for my needs...........so far ;)
Early days but even after a few hours (it arrived around noon today :) ) I really, really like the control layout.

And HDEW were brilliant!

Just for reference, the 7D only has 19 :) I prefer the 7D controls once you get used to them, but you can do pretty much the same stuff on the 60D and the twist screen is a major advantage at times. SD cards are sooooo much cheaper as well, and battery life is much better.

Enjoy it :)

I got err 30 while using my 60d today ,i turned the camera off and pulled out the battery replaced it and turned it back on .All working normal again .

Has anyone else seen this message ?

Is it something to worry about ?

Apparently that's a [malfunction related to the shutter]; I've not seen it before personally but would venture a guess that if you have someone close to 100k shutter actions you might be close to failure.

Otherwise,I wouldn't worry about it unless it occurs often. Had you just been shooting a ton of shots on high speed continuous shoot or something?

I was using live view mode trying some macro shots when the error came on ,it hasn't come back so fingers crossed .
I only have the camera since january bought from panamoz .

been out taking some snaps of randoms today, the deer were rather sleepy though so I left them to it!

deer11_zps7a81c99d.jpg

look into my eyes... not around the eyes but into my eyes!

Fantastic detail especially considering iso 1000 at 500mm too, for anyone wondering i would easily push the 60 to 3200

deeryes_zpsa8e2dd7d.jpg

sleeepy
deersleepy1_zps361c7c18.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Anyone using the magic lantern software on their 60D's, if so? What are the benefits of it?

That is exceptional, considering they are nocturnal

Taken inside the Cairns Wildlife Dome - well worth the visit if you're ever in Cairns QLD :)

They seem to be almost diurnal there, they're always out in the open, waking up around 3 in the afternoon when the feeds start.

And thanks :)

Hi Guys,

Anyone using the magic lantern software on their 60D's, if so? What are the benefits of it?

One of the reasons I was contemplating changing my firmware to Magic Lantern was the increased bracketting functionality, you can bracket up to 9 shots I believe as standard rather than the current 3 shots. Anyone actually installed it yet?

iv been running magic lantern for close to a year now on and off iv got it installed a sd card only for ml shots and i will say i love it the bracketing function for hdr has all changed, it now takes as meany shots as it needs to get all the exposure it needs and automatically you just press the shoot button once and it fires away usually 3 to 6 shots for me but it can do lot more

and chris the only firmware you need to update to is the genuine canon 60D 1.1.1 , ml dont realy update the firmware just changes it while the card is in the cam with Ml installed to it, when you turn the cam off and take that card out it reverts back to the 1.1.1 firmware instantly

Last edited:
got a nice raise in work confirmed this afternoon so celebrated by getting myself a nice new 60D(y)

some more snaps from my recent visit to lake windermere

A beautiful sunset going down behind the mountain on the end of the jetty from the cottage we stayed in.

Simple shot, but i liked how simple it looked.

Another very simple and some might not appreciate what I saw / see but I liked the way it sat with the sun in the backdrop

Hand held at 1/2 so was pretty happy with the result of lack of shake

and some from the zoo

swinging through the setup to sit with the friend.

I absolutely love my 60D and the detail it can capture

and some from todays Belton Horse trials that we are taking Photos for the event

The first night I'd used the 60D in anger :)
Lighting was..challenging! What looked like one par38 300W(?) at shoulder height and an 18" platform 'stage'. An LED mutli-coloured thingy at waist level, too :D
I used the Sigma 17-70, ISO 1600.
Luckily, I could get close.
Overall, pleased with the way the 60D performed and how it handled.

KevFreddy4 by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

iv been running magic lantern for close to a year now on and off iv got it installed a sd card only for ml shots and i will say i love it the bracketing function for hdr has all changed, it now takes as meany shots as it needs to get all the exposure it needs and automatically you just press the shoot button once and it fires away usually 3 to 6 shots for me but it can do lot more

and chris the only firmware you need to update to is the genuine canon 60D 1.1.1 , ml dont realy update the firmware just changes it while the card is in the cam with Ml installed to it, when you turn the cam off and take that card out it reverts back to the 1.1.1 firmware instantly

Alix, many thanks for your post, really helpful, I was putting off using ml as I didn't want to change the firmware, but as you say, just installing it on the card is excellent, I will crack on with it now and get back to some HDR. Thanks again.

I installed ML today although to be honest I haven't found the feature I was looking for. I noticed on some of the screen shots where blocks of focus points could be selected but haven't worked out how to do it yet. Probably in a menu I haven't found yet!

I love my 60D - first DSLR and although I'm tempted by the 7D for the sports I do and a FF for people I really can't fault it as a general all round.

Just two photographs from me both taken with the Canon 50mm f1.4.

Trying to do a portrait off my better half:

Portrait Practise by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

And some tulips:

Tulips by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

Thanks

Stevie

I installed ML today although to be honest I haven't found the feature I was looking for. I noticed on some of the screen shots where blocks of focus points could be selected but haven't worked out how to do it yet. Probably in a menu I haven't found yet!

press the "trash" button and the ML menu appears as if by magic ;)

Press the "Q" to enter sub menu's

Last edited:
Hi all, looking at getting a 60D to replace my 1100D in the near future.

I want a 70-200 f4 for definite, am looking at the 15-85mm as my general purpose lens, has any used it before? Gets a decent enough write up on dpreview.

Not sure what the other alternatives are, 17-55mm is way out of my price range

Any thoughts?

I thinking of buying a canon 60d camera, where is the best place to buy one? I've seen one priced at £444 on SLR Hut ! Has anyone bought anything from this company please.

Last edited:
SLRHut are in the USA, though it's not made too clear. Get as far as checkout and watch the price climb when taxes etc are added.

Back