Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Well today is my first day with my new 7d2 and I'm definitely in love with it :)

Shot a friend's charity tough Rugby thing this evening and I was expecting to be using ISO 6400 or maybe 12800 for 1/1000 exposures since the lighting would be poor and I only have an F4 lens that's long enough. I'd never shot anything floodlit before but from reading a few threads, that's what I'd imagined...

Tried ISO 12800 with 1/1000 and that was way underexposed :/ dropped the exposure to 1/800 and it was still too dark so I had to go to ISO 16000 with 1/800 lol :|

The results weren't exactly noise free as you'd expect but what really struck me was the AF which was glued to my targets. Had like 10-20 way out of focus shots and some of those were my fault for knocking the focus ring on my 200-400 >.<! The AF really is amazing as far as I'm concerned.

I tried F8 AF earlier with a 1.4 TC mounted on my 200-400mm with the builtin TC engaged too (784mm) and the performance there wasn't amazing but then again I didn't give it any easy targets either.

Love love love this body :D

A few of the ISO 16000 shots

These are some of the better looking shots since the subject was lit fairly well (as can be expected at this location!) whereas some of the other shots where they were a bit further away suffered a bit more.

These shots are processed and have noise reduction etc since I always apply some. Obviously there's more here than normal but I've never shot at 16000 so I guess that was expected.

All in all it seems alright for small online usage and I guess maybe you could print them small too if you really wanted but what really impressed me was the AF. I haven't tweaked it at all and just put it on AI focus and let it do it's thing. Very few misses and a lot of those are my fault :)

Touch Rugby 1 by Phal44, on Flickr
Touch Rugby 2 by Phal44, on Flickr
Touch Rugby 3 by Phal44, on Flickr

Folks,

Posting on behalf of a friend who is struggling with his 7D2 using manual focus and live view exposure simulation.

5d3 or 7d behaviour
Lens in MF
Camera in AV
Hit live view button, focus square visible on image.
Exposure simulation active, move the square around the image to select where the metering is aligned (ie expose for the sky etc..)

7d2
Lens in MF
Camera in AV
Hit live view button, NO focus square visible.
Exposure simulation active for whole image
Hit Magnify button to bring up Focus Square in x1 magnification
Exposure simulation is deactivated

My friend Dave is used to using the 7d in this mode on a tripod for night / tricky shots

Manually focusing, then using the exposure simulation to balance the histergram

Anybody understand the operation of this? (it functions the same on another 7d2)

Does any one know if focus lock beep can be turned on in AI SERVO ?

....I am fairly confident that focus beep doesn't function in AI SERVO but the focus area pts illuminate instead. That of course assumes that you select to display the focus grid in the viewfinder.

The AF status can be selected to either be displayed in the field of view (on the photo image) or outside the view Bottom righthand in each case.

Last edited:
Thanks all I thought i had seen some were that it could be done in ai servo I must have got it wrong!

....I'm going to dig deeper to find out as I also would like the beeper to sound when in AI SERVO, although logically it would be beeping like a machine gun when zapping focus pts in a large AF area when set. But hearing a beep is better than looking for the icon/dot even when in the viewfinder.

AI SERVO is focusing ALL the time it would be horrendous if it beeped in this mode .

Rob.

Just a side note (and different to something that I wrote earlier in this thread).....

The 7D2 can drive the "super-teles" (white primes 200/2 and upwards) faster during the acquisition phase of focusing (the first second). This was previously the domain of 1srs and not a function of the 5D3. Canon used to attribute this to the larger battery voltage of the 1srs bodies but it seems that the 7D2 circuitry can achieve this with the LP-E6.

Bob

Just a side note (and different to something that I wrote earlier in this thread).....

The 7D2 can drive the "super-teles" (white primes 200/2 and upwards) faster during the acquisition phase of focusing (the first second). This was previously the domain of 1srs and not a function of the 5D3. Canon used to attribute this to the larger battery voltage of the 1srs bodies but it seems that the 7D2 circuitry can achieve this with the LP-E6.

Bob

....The lens+body combo will of course do whatever it does and that's what one has to work with and accept, but in ignorance I'm interested to learn which Canon white L telephotos you are referring to as I don't understand what "200/2 and upwards" means - 200mm+? F/2+? I currently use a 400mm F/5.6L and 300mm F/4L IS on my 7D2, both of which I plan to sell to then buy the 100-400mm II (makes sense to me) for walkaround wildlife togging.

I wonder if you know whether the soon-to-be-released 100-400mm II will achieve initially faster focus acquisition when mounted on the 7D2.

And presumably an extender (even a Canon one) will slow down that initial focus acquisition?

That's interesting Bob. Wonder if it explains the drain on the battery when using my 500 because that's the one issue for me. I've done a bit of testing with the AF with a 70-200 f2.8 MkII and the MkII is very quick both in single shot and servo using case 3. I would say that in servo its as quick as the 1DX but not as quick in one shot.

Consistency of focus seems very good with the 70-200 but not as good with an older 300 f4. Again the 1Dx for some reason is better with the 300.

Having said all that its a very capable camera with very nice image quality. Its nice to be able to have the two bodies set up pretty much identically on the AF ON & AE lock buttons and DOF which reduces the need to use the top plate controls.I've no regrets buying one and I think it will go very nicely with the 1DX.

....The lens+body combo will of course do whatever it does and that's what one has to work with and accept, but in ignorance I'm interested to learn which Canon white L telephotos you are referring to as I don't understand what "200/2 and upwards" means - 200mm+? F/2+? I currently use a 400mm F/5.6L and 300mm F/4L IS on my 7D2, both of which I plan to sell to then buy the 100-400mm II (makes sense to me) for walkaround wildlife togging.

I wonder if you know whether the soon-to-be-released 100-400mm II will achieve initially faster focus acquisition when mounted on the 7D2.

And presumably an extender (even a Canon one) will slow down that initial focus acquisition?
Robin,

The so called "super teles" are the 200/2 IS, 300/2.8 IS, 400/2.8, 400/4 DO, 500/4 IS, 600/4 IS and 800/5.6....the 300/4 and 400/5.6 and zooms are outside of this group.
Focus speed with an extender is 50% of lens speed with a 1.4x and 25% with a 2x.

Bob

That's interesting Bob. Wonder if it explains the drain on the battery when using my 500 because that's the one issue for me.
It'll be a factor for sure, Gaz. The latest bodies are demanding more and more from the batteries.....transmissive focussing screen overlay, two card slots, dual processors, higher resolution LCD's, GPS, larger AF array.....and more too, I suspect.

Previous battery grips have utilised battery management and the two batteries weren't used at the same time but I wonder if the 7D2's grip is the same?

Bob

It seems to be Bob looking at them over the last few days.

On the subject of batteries and grips:

I am finding that when shooting in AI SERVO, set to 10 fps, RAW only, written to CF card (GPS switched OFF), that I am getting approx 400 images per LP-E6N battery and I prefer to carry my spare LP-E6N plus a LP-E6 to quickly and easily change batteries at a convenient break well before the installed battery is empty. I have yet to shoot over about 500* images in a walkabout day out togging wildlife. [*since December 2013]

Personally I really dislike the bulk of a grip and very rarely shoot portrait proportion anyway, but each to their own and I'm not saying that a grip isn't a good component.
For me, thank goodness the 7D2 wasn't built with an integrated grip!

Folks,

Posting on behalf of a friend who is struggling with his 7D2 using manual focus and live view exposure simulation.

5d3 or 7d behaviour
Lens in MF
Camera in AV
Exposure simulation active, move the square around the image to select where the metering is aligned (ie expose for the sky etc..)

7d2
Lens in MF
Camera in AV

My friend Dave is used to using the 7d in this mode on a tripod for night / tricky shots

Anybody understand the operation of this? (it functions the same on another 7d2)
Page 296 in the manual discusses enabling exposure simulation (under the red menu). Also I think using the auto lighting optimiser means that the brightness on the screen won't vary.

Page 296 in the manual discusses enabling exposure simulation (under the red menu). Also I think using the auto lighting optimiser means that the brightness on the screen won't vary.

....Thanks for that info - I have the 7D2 Manual PDF but there's a lot of pages! Although Adobe Acrobat does navigate it all extremely well.

I regularly revise my Exposure Compensation (birds in flight against bright sky, for example) and if you leave the Auto Lighting Optimiser (ALO) enabled, it can counteract your Exposure Compensation adjustments which are more accurately applied when ALO is OFF. Although ALO will boost shadow detail, this can potentially degrade contrast - It is better to shoot RAW and then be able to fine-tune your image in post-processing. In my opinion.

The Auto Lighting Optimiser has several setting strengths but is disabled in M and B modes.

On the subject of batteries and grips:

I am finding that when shooting in AI SERVO, set to 10 fps, RAW only, written to CF card (GPS switched OFF), that I am getting approx 400 images per LP-E6N battery and I prefer to carry my spare LP-E6N plus a LP-E6 to quickly and easily change batteries at a convenient break well before the installed battery is empty. I have yet to shoot over about 500* images in a walkabout day out togging wildlife. [*since December 2013]

Personally I really dislike the bulk of a grip and very rarely shoot portrait proportion anyway, but each to their own and I'm not saying that a grip isn't a good component.
For me, thank goodness the 7D2 wasn't built with an integrated grip!

That's not very good is it. Ill shoot 1000 images in a day no problem if conditions are right sometimes more.

So I guess there's a real possibility of using 4 batteries in a day for me at that rate. I will be making sure that the AA tray is in the bag even more now.

Done all that....

You have to press the magnify button to get the focus square up in x1 magnification.

That turns off exposure Sim

Did over 4000 images shooting the Long Course Weekend on 2x LP-E6 in my 5D3 w/grip and they still had power left. Does the 7D2 use up a lot more power then?

ps The Power Planet 3rd party batteries are great if you need to add some more to your bag - under £20 on amazon for two.

Last edited:
Folks,

5d3 or 7d behaviour
Lens in MF
Camera in AV

7d2
Lens in MF
Camera in AV

If the lens is switched to MF you're not going to get the focus square on any body I've used.

I regularly revise my Exposure Compensation (birds in flight against bright sky, for example) and if you leave the Auto Lighting Optimiser (ALO) enabled, it can counteract your Exposure Compensation adjustments which are more accurately applied when ALO is OFF. Although ALO will boost shadow detail, this can potentially degrade contrast - It is better to shoot RAW and then be able to fine-tune your image in post-processing. In my opinion.

The Auto Lighting Optimiser has several setting strengths but is disabled in M and B modes.
Thanks Robin. I'm not familiar with the Auto Lighting Optimiser myself - just something I read as I was flicking through the manual, but it's good to know I'm not missing much :)

I usually use manual and RAW. It's great to see that you can use exposure compensation in manual with auto ISO (I know it bumps the ISO) I've only had my 7D2 a few days, but the light has just been completely rubbish :( so I am just dipping into my settings and manual, waiting for some better light....

Bob
Where did you see that, Bob>....not doubting of course but interested....

I see you are still saying the extender slows down AF, despite the article I sent you from Canon US:thinking:...which like you i didn't entirely follow...and I must say with 1.4 and 2x mk 3 extenders on mk 2 s/teles the difference certainly doesn't seem all that great.

Be interested to see if anyone has any idea about the other thread I posted last night re auto update of Canon software, it's a bit further down the page.

George.

Did over 4000 images shooting the Long Course Weekend on 2x LP-E6 in my 5D3 w/grip and they still had power left. Does the 7D2 use up a lot more power then?

ps The Power Planet 3rd party batteries are great if you need to add some more to your bag - under £20 on amazon for two.
Drew, do you get the battery info as with the genuine ones?....and I'm not getting very good battery life, need a grip.

Last edited:
Where did you see that, Bob>....not doubting of course but interested....

Chuck Westfall did a comparison/review of the 1Dx/5D3/7D2 AF system and "The Digital Picture" published it.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Canon-EOS-7D-II-1D-X-5D-III-AF-Comparison.aspx

As far as the extender issue, George......I have only seen unambiguous text stating the fact whilst there are ambiguous articles refuting it. When it comes to AF there are several parts to the equation....acquisition, movement and confirmation. I suspect the former and latter (at least) are getting quicker and hence the overall time is reducing.
(Simply supposition on my part tough)

Bob

I'm still in the playing stage with the mk2, but when I tried my 100-400 with a 1.4TC, I cant say there was a dramatic reduction in obtaining AF, the difference was only marginal.

Regarding the batteries, like Robin, I don't feel the need for a grip, I recently sold my 500 f/4 :crying: because of the weight, so I don't want to increase the weight I am carrying. For me, an extra battery or two in the pocket will suffice, I like the feel of the body as it is even with the 100-400 attached.
With the mk1 I could get around 1000 shots or more from a single battery, even using the 500mm, but just playing with the mk2 I am noticing the battery charge going down fairly quickly. What it will be like when used on a shoot I don't know, so extra batteries are going to be on the purchase list.

I have been trying case 2, 3 and 6 for birds in flight, at the moment I feel case 3 is the better one for BIF. What are your experiences and have you found the need to change the default setting in your preferred case?

It seems too Drew. certainly from fully charged they drop quite quickly. Not hammered it enough to get a feel for it yet. Compared to the 5D3 though it does seem heavy.

Ok cool - never used the 5D3 without a grip so wouldn't know about the shots per battery count.

Ordered one today, so I'm sure we'll find out soon enough :)

Last edited:
I'm still in the playing stage with the mk2, but when I tried my 100-400 with a 1.4TC, I cant say there was a dramatic reduction in obtaining AF, the difference was only marginal.

Regarding the batteries, like Robin, I don't feel the need for a grip, I recently sold my 500 f/4 :crying: because of the weight, so I don't want to increase the weight I am carrying. For me, an extra battery or two in the pocket will suffice, I like the feel of the body as it is even with the 100-400 attached.
With the mk1 I could get around 1000 shots or more from a single battery, even using the 500mm, but just playing with the mk2 I am noticing the battery charge going down fairly quickly. What it will be like when used on a shoot I don't know, so extra batteries are going to be on the purchase list.

I have been trying case 2, 3 and 6 for birds in flight, at the moment I feel case 3 is the better one for BIF. What are your experiences and have you found the need to change the default setting in your preferred case?

Haven't used the 7D that much to try different cases but wouldn't imagine they will be that different from the 5D3 and 1DX. I generally use 2,3&4. Case 6 I've avoided as I've only found it works ok if the background is uncluttered although the MkII is supposed to have a modified version of the iTR for use with all points so will give it a try again when I get the opportunity.

Case 3 is faster in response than case 2 but it relies on your ability to keep AF point or points on the subject. If you come off it then it will refocus in front of or behind depending on what it sees. With some lenses this can throw the focus so far off that it struggles to get it back again. I've found my best results come with expanding the centre point to centre plus 4 around it. It gives a bit more leeway than just the single point.

Ok cool - never used the 5D3 without a grip so wouldn't about the shots per battery count.

Ordered one today, so I'm sure we'll find out soon enough :)

Spending all that money from the Xmas Fair dude :)

Thanks Garry, that ties in with my limited experience so far and helps that I am going in the right direction. I use the expanded centre point the same as I did with the mk1 and agree it works well for bif (y)

Chuck Westfall did a comparison/review of the 1Dx/5D3/7D2 AF system and "The Digital Picture" published it.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Canon-EOS-7D-II-1D-X-5D-III-AF-Comparison.aspx

As far as the extender issue, George......I have only seen unambiguous text stating the fact whilst there are ambiguous articles refuting it. When it comes to AF there are several parts to the equation....acquisition, movement and confirmation. I suspect the former and latter (at least) are getting quicker and hence the overall time is reducing.
(Simply supposition on my part though)

Bob

(Simply supposition on my part tough)

Bob

That's a very interesting read, Bob, thanks...a few points of which I wasn't aware.

My 1 Dx is off today to the doctor's at Elstree for a new mirror box as I am still getting the odd OOF which isn't easily explained, so it's (phew!!) just being done under warranty!!...when it returns, I'll run over my AF settings and post...I tend to use C1-3 with various custom settings on the AF options set up as I find works best for me.

Interesting point from Drew that all the battery info..I assume that's serial nos and condition...come up with these 3rd party ones.

George.

Back