Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Cheers Steve.

The light was shocking on Saturday night with the mist and fog, hence the b&w conversion. It was definitely a cold one! Although not as cold as has been! I know what you mean about always being cold by the water.

Am loving the 22mm, haven't even got the flash out the packet yet, think it's still in the box!!

The 90EX , like the M kit generally, is a really nice speedlite. One eord of warning, make sure you use the lock slider when you mount it on the M. I forgot when I was in Amsterdam in September and the unit came off and hit the floor, the battery door came lff and the metal contact plate came adrift. I went to a small camera shop a few days later and the guy fixed it back. Works like new.

Got a new one for £30 as a back up so now with the extra recently bought (red) kit I now have 3! The 270EX works very well too.

I am struggling with time to get out with the M. The weather looks good for the next few days so fingers crossed. At least we are 3 weeks or so before the shortest day and nearer to the clocks going forward.

Steve

What software do you use for video editing and has anyone bout a decent microphone at a reasonable price?

I use Adobe Premier Pro which is excellent but pricey if not being used often.

There are a few good options on free software for video editing.
Lightworks is very good http://www.lwks.com/
or if you want something more simple, Windows Movie Maker isn't bad http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/movie-maker

As far as a descent microphone goes, it depends what you want it for.
I use an Audio Technica ATR 3350 quite a bit for making "talking to the camera" videos. It's a small clip on mike that's under £30 on eBay.

Picked up the M today and have to say I'm very impressed with it so far.

All I've taken is a few quick snaps around the house, few of the dog and a few of the sunset from my front door but its amazing for £200.

The autofocus is sharp, colours are great, in fact all I really needed to do in Lightroom was a little noise reduction. This is just flicking it into AV mode and clicking away so with a bit of playing I'm sure it will be better straight from the camera.

I've already ordered the 22mm and the EF-S adapter (was only £35 from eBay) so looking forward to them arriving. Also ordered a lightweight travel tripod from 7dayshop (ridiculously cheap if it's okay) and a silicone skin for the camera which should protect it and make it easier to grip.

Thanks for the recommendations in this thread. Very happy with this purchase.

Getting more and more tempted! Anyone had any luck with Chinese ebay sellers for the 22mm?
Ordered mine not so long ago...it is due on Monday but the adapter arrived earlier than planned and that works just fine and appears to me to be genuine... Fingers crossed!

There's a lot of love for the M at the moment, hardly surprising considering the price! Am actually regretting leaving mine at home today!

There's a lot of love for the M at the moment, hardly surprising considering the price! Am actually regretting leaving mine at home today!

Remember under the Laws of Enlgland and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands, it is not yet legal to marry your EOS M...... OK in Greece....

Last edited:
What software do you use for video editing and has anyone bout a decent microphone at a reasonable price?

I use premiere elements 12, not used it to its full potential, it seems to do a good job but I would download the trial first, there are times when I wish it was a little more straight forward to use, sometimes title editing slides are pain to work with, but I get there in the end.

For video editing I got a relatively cheap version of Sony Vegas from Amazon, it had some good reviews but haven't installed it yet to be honest, also got a RODE video mic GO which I'd bought for the 550d but will likely get more use on the M as it has a few extra video features - I'm still trying to think of a good video 'project' to get involved in and make proper use of this kit.

Picked up the M today and have to say I'm very impressed with it so far.

All I've taken is a few quick snaps around the house, few of the dog and a few of the sunset from my front door but its amazing for £200.
For the price it's great! Gotta admit I took a long time to come round to it especially with all the negative reviews, but can't beat it on value.

For the price it's great! Gotta admit I took a long time to come round to it especially with all the negative reviews, but can't beat it on value.

I was not originally smitten but got to use one, albeit only for a v short while, owned by anothe TP'er. That experience made me curious but was overloaded with other cameras.

The tipping point was the Argos original £199.99 deal. Could not knock it on price and overall value/performance.

It is a revelation. Now hooked on it. and it is first choice walkabout kit. The killer benefit is the size and performance of the 22mm f/2 pancake lens. As above, it would be nice if a couple more primes were released (like the idea of a good portrait prine at 85mm at about 1.8 or 1.4.

An M3 release may push Canon to widen the range. They must be aware of the move out of DSLR into CSC. It's happening on this forum....

Maybe a lightweight battery grip? Improve the handling...

Steve

Having played with mine a few times I have been quite impressed with the camera so far, but have 1 observation and 1 question.

Observation. The continuous focus mode is ok, but the high speed shooting is not that hi speed :)

Question: Why is there no function for blinkies?

Good question

It's not something I have tried but have tried out the video capture on the M so if you get a response I will be interested. I have Premier Elements 11 tucked away somewhere but maybe a simple package to start with might be a better way to go.

I used video in my work but one of the other guys working for me sorted the end results. Now I will have a go myself.

Steve
I use cyberlink power director 10. Cheaper and much easier to use than premier elements IMHO.

Having played with mine a few times I have been quite impressed with the camera so far, but have 1 observation and 1 question.

Observation. The continuous focus mode is ok, but the high speed shooting is not that hi speed :)

Question: Why is there no function for blinkies?

On the high speed mode I am 'kind of' with you there but at the same time I ask if I would ever need it on the M? Others may.

Continuous focussing threw me at first but now it's not an issue.

In now over 2K pictures taken with the M, I find that the M has forced me back into thinking more about the shot I want and not firing wildly or bracketing across f stop/shutter speed. It's like being back in the days of film when using Kodachrome 64 with pre paid slide developing and mounting, every frame counted. It was an expensive hobby and during the early 60s I had my gran's Box Brownie and 1 roll of film for the whole 6 weeks of the summer holiday in Ireland. I have found a growing need to 'get it right, first time, every time'. Limiting my shooting, back to waiting for the light. etc. Like learning all over again. Might be a moral moment which will pass. Probably why I have resistex the HDR Mode...

Enlighten me on blinkies - I'm must be going senile....

Steve

Blinkers is showing blown highlights with a flashing section when you review the image useful for checking whirs bits are cooked

Blinkers is showing blown highlights with a flashing section when you review the image useful for checking whirs bits are cooked

Got it.. many thanks

Know the process but not the name!

Steve

I've already ordered the 22mm and the EF-S adapter (was only £35 from eBay) so looking forward to them arriving. Also ordered a lightweight travel tripod from 7dayshop (ridiculously cheap if it's okay) and a silicone skin for the camera which should protect it and make it easier to grip.

David, am I reading this sentence correctly? Did you get the 22mm lens and the adapter for £35, if so, which vendor?

Question for my fellow M owners - remote control - is the only one that works with the M, the Canon wireless one? Or has anyone found another solution?

Any infra red remote that is canon compatible should work so a cheap Chinese knock off will be fine.

Quick one from this morning, got out with the kit lens as I wanted something wider than my normal adapter + 35mm F2 IS combo - kit lens has its limits but pretty happy with this shot and a few others :)

Spaniel in the Mist
by Jimwah, on Flickr

Really like this shot, lovely pooch and really atmospheric shot :cool: bravo

Question for my fellow M owners - remote control - is the only one that works with the M, the Canon wireless one? Or has anyone found another solution?

As mentioned above the EBay cheapies work fine and the Canon RC-6 is native.

You need to emable the camera to turn on the RC system.

Its an option in the self timer menu. The receiver is on the front of the camera which is fine indoors but I have found out doors means positioning nearer line of sight.

Interested if others have had similar out in the wild

The short printed manual does not mention the settings for remote control on the M but the CD has the full manual and RC is a menu item.

Steve

Last edited:
Double Post

Last edited:
Sadly not :)

I ordered the 22mm from the UK for about £75 and the adapter for £35 from China. The same Chinese seller has the 22mm for £56 though so £90 for both if your looking for a ridiculous bargain.

Thanks for your reply, that is what I thought, but one can live in hope. :ty:

I already have the adapter and was looking for the best bargain on the 22mm lens. The one on eBay does look the best, but not sure about ordering from China.

I already have the adapter and was looking for the best bargain on the 22mm lens. The one on eBay does look the best, but not sure about ordering from China.

I got mine of a seller called podmantech (or something like that) on eBay. They allow you to make an offer, and if I remember correctly was approx £60. Although the seller is based in China, they must have stock in Uk as it was delivered within a couple of days from somewhere around Slough I think it was. I think a few people on here have also used the same seller.

Thanks for your reply, that is what I thought, but one can live in hope. :ty:

As mentioned further back there are UK stocks from Chinese companies. The 22mm I bought wad advertised on EBay with First Class delivery. priced at £70 or best offer delivered, I made an offer and I got it at £64 in 3 days.

Perfect performing lens and quick delivery.

S

I've cracked! Just clicked to order a black EOS M from Argos, have opted for home delivery and payment via paypal which should hopefully net me 2.5% cashback which combined with the £10 voucher should mean an outlay of only £184.99 also have the 22mm on the way from ebay UK stock secured for an offer of £68 so all in all a pocket size bargain which I can't wait to try out!

Ordered mine not so long ago...it is due on Monday but the adapter arrived earlier than planned and that works just fine and appears to me to be genuine... Fingers crossed!

And so it has arrived a few days earlier than anticiPted. Haven't unpacked it yet as I found it freezing on the doorstep and don't wnat it to condense..extreme electronics on e bay. Will let you know ow it goes...

Ouch that is getting cheap! I read yesterday that Cyrus were selling the normal kit at 149.99 as an instore clearance item! Suddenly my argos deal doesn't look so good! My quidco cash back has at least tracked!

The white M kit with 22mm lens and ef adapter now £206.51 on Amazon. Surely can't drop much below that??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F2CUHF4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1417678651&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165#

If I hadn't already ordered the 22mm and the EF adapter I'd buy that kit and have a spare body.

It's tempting to buy it anyway and sell the other bits on eBay. 22mm - £70ish, EF Adapter £50ish, 90EX - £35ish which means I get a spare body, battery and charger for £50. Very tempting.

The white M kit with 22mm lens and ef adapter now £206.51 on Amazon. Surely can't drop much below that??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F2CUHF4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1417678651&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165#

I agree! Incredible deal which should tip the balance for the waverers

Devon cameras have the black kit version at over £500.

I just ordered 2 for my sister. One for her and one for her daughter. She is at work and was undecided about the Argos deal but jumped for this one. For her it's the weighr of her 650D kit she wants to reduce!

Had a quick look on EBay for tbe 18-55 kit lens and they range from £50 used BIN to £70 new delivered

So a full kit for £260-280 give or take. There is even a white lens hood available for the zoom especially for the stylish amongst us! Black and red for me.

Amazon have the 55-250 STM zoom down to £289.99 which brings it into the price the China/HK sellers charge but with a UK seller + UK warranty. Iuse my EF-S 55-250 STM for longer reach with the M and it is light enough and super on the adaptor and the lightweigh Manfroto monopod. When the M 55-200 hits the £200 mark.... may be tempted. The M ultra wide is still over the £340 mark.

My M kit is with me as I head to Swansea. Hoping to get some good light on the Gower mid afternoon IF my business finishes early and, with my son as chauffeur I can relax.

Steve

Trust me, £200 is still an absolute steal for this camera Alex :D Even my Dad bought one after seeing my holiday shots, and he isn't impulsive at all when it comes to buying things so that speaks volumes :D

Just been looking through my holiday snaps from mine, this is a far cry from where i am today :(

Alfa by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

Last edited:
Trust me, £200 is still an absolute steal for this camera Alex :D

Just been looking through my holiday snaps from mine, this is a far cry from where i am today :(

[

I'm happy with the price and with the quidco cash back and ten pound voucher I'm getting the kit plus 22mm for £258 which is pretty decent, I'm still undecided on the EOS adapter so I'm holding off to see how much I want one as I expect a cheap knock off will be good enough for me.

True true :) If i had some Canon lenses i would have an adapter like a shot, but I don't so I haven't :LOL:

Tempted at a Nikon adapter but can't help but feel it'll take away from the dinkyness adding a whopping great lens on the front, then there's the use of manual focus only which would be fine but it's starting to become a pain :LOL: especially when i get along with the 18-55 so well (which has surprised me tbh)

I'm tempted by the adapter particularly for my primes 35mm, 50mm and 85mm but there is a bit of my that thinks I will probably never remove the 22mm as it is the tiny form factor I'm after. If I put the adapter and my 24-105mm on it I might as well take the 5d mkii, the eos adapter would though turn the m into a backup body for very little money, the meike version is only £30 so I'll probably add one of them after Christmas,

I'm tempted by the adapter particularly for my primes 35mm, 50mm and 85mm but there is a bit of my that thinks I will probably never remove the 22mm as it is the tiny form factor I'm after. If I put the adapter and my 24-105mm on it I might as well take the 5d mkii, the eos adapter would though turn the m into a backup body for very little money, the meike version is only £30 so I'll probably add one of them after Christmas,

The genuine Canon adapter is on eBay for £35 (from HK).

True true :) If i had some Canon lenses i would have an adapter like a shot, but I don't so I haven't :LOL:

Tempted at a Nikon adapter but can't help but feel it'll take away from the dinkyness adding a whopping great lens on the front, then there's the use of manual focus only which would be fine but it's starting to become a pain :LOL: especially when i get along with the 18-55 so well (which has surprised me tbh)

Difficult one. The ef-s STM range is fairly goo and some are quite lighteeight but some, like the 15-85 and the 10-22 are wide barrelled a d heavy (77mm a d 72mm filterz respectively).

As mentioned above I use the efs-s 55-250 for reach and it is light enough. I have the ef-s 10-18 stm for UWA again usable.

The trip I made to Europe included these lenses and was comfortable. On reflection after I got back I was thinki about the M 11-22 and 55-200 for the wekght, adsthetics and usability. Would that justify a £600+ spend?

It might, at present I am not really using my main kit so a full downsize would provide the funds. The balance is Canon. Until or if Csanon bring out the purported M3 (the M2 has been available a while), I will hang fire in the hope that an upgrade will be worthwhile and some new lens (60 mm macro? 135mm prime an M 1.4 TC for the longer 55-200)

There is also the caveat that some will enjoy its function/price but want more choice so move off to Fuji Olympus etc.

The retail price crash we see now will affect s/h expectations.... The £80 EOS-M ody only from a stripped out kit?

I am very happy with my kit and jntil today I thought Tamron was the only manifacturer producing an mount lens (18-200) but apparently Samyand do too. Superwide time?

Steve

Back