weekly Cargo's 52 for 2015 Machine added

Hi Gary

Companions......like that , good DOF , looks nicely sharp on the dog's eye...kinda looks like he's checking out strangers before they get to close to his master ...well spotted (y) I'd be tempted to crop a smidge from the lhs

Scenic....works for me , good use of mono conversion, without the tyre track looks better (y)

Hey Gaz
Scenic: really love the arty kind of feel the mono and mistiness(if that's a word?!) gives the shot. The edit has the edge for me.

Companions: sweet dog! As said, the owner in the BG and DOF make the shot, so good composition there[emoji4]. The only thing that feels a little out for me is the subjects being almost centred - maybe a bit off each side and place them more to the left of frame?

Thanks everyone nice to read your thoughts on these & the little storys you can read into them.

Gaz

Elegant best I could do last night wish I had a better idea but hey ho.

Gaz

Last edited:
Nice idea. I like this one. Lovely colors.

I think a sight overall blur would soften the material.

Cheers.
Hi Andy

Yes must admit the material is a bit course/harsh. I did buy some material for another project but couldnt find the damn thing :-(
Will try the blur thing later.

Gaz

I cant see the image unless I quote this post. Seems to be happening a lot lately @Marcel
Hi Mike. I had a real hard time getting this second image to show last night too, one minute it was there and the next gone. Seems to be here for me this morning ? Well it is there if i'm logged in but gone if logged out.
Added it by just entering the url straight into message box and it seems to be there plus hosted elswhere.

Gaz

Last edited:
Hi, material is a little to dominant might have been an idea to add a texture on the picture of just the flower, not sure what you use to PP though, or just light it from behind avoiding light spill on the cloth
its a technique used in theatre lighting

Elegant.
I've got to say, I rather like it, especcially the re-edit.
There's something....calming about it :)

Elegant - I like the idea behind this image but sadly it's not really working for me, I find the material a bit distracting.
No probs Mandy ;-)
Hi, material is a little to dominant might have been an idea to add a texture on the picture of just the flower, not sure what you use to PP though, or just light it from behind avoiding light spill on the cloth
its a technique used in theatre lighting
Hi Alan. Yes I could have added a texture after but felt that was way to easy to do :) Like I say I have some finer material somewhere but couldn't locate it. I wanted to drap it like a curtain would fold but couldn't with this material. I lite it from the back right hand side as from the back it was more a silhouette and was lacking in any real colour/punch was ok but not the feel I wanted. Many thanks for the feedback.
Elegant.
I've got to say, I rather like it, especcially the re-edit.
There's something....calming about it :)
Thatnks Ruth. I rather like your feedback too :)

Gaz

Last edited:
That is a real clever nice looking effect.
No crit i think it looks great (y)

Hiya Gary, that Scenic shot is a beauty. Part of me likes the tyre tread - if you'd be able to capture the bike which made it it'd be perfect! Only comment is on the PP where - owing to personal preference and nothing else - I'd push the tonal range / contrast a bit further. I personally like darker darks and don't mind white whites (even blown at the top end if that happens to work)...

Elegant is a good idea - and always worth trying ideas! I'm not 100% it works perfectly for me and annoyingly, I'm not sure what I'd tweak. Possible move the material closer to camera, but the light source between it and the flowers, aiming at the flowers (and obviously out of frame) - that way you'd just get a bit of reflected light illuminating the material from the back - might not work and would be a different effect, but what I think you have is a really good setup idea to play around with! Great job.

Hiya Gary, that Scenic shot is a beauty. Part of me likes the tyre tread - if you'd be able to capture the bike which made it it'd be perfect! Only comment is on the PP where - owing to personal preference and nothing else - I'd push the tonal range / contrast a bit further. I personally like darker darks and don't mind white whites (even blown at the top end if that happens to work)...

Elegant is a good idea - and always worth trying ideas! I'm not 100% it works perfectly for me and annoyingly, I'm not sure what I'd tweak. Possible move the material closer to camera, but the light source between it and the flowers, aiming at the flowers (and obviously out of frame) - that way you'd just get a bit of reflected light illuminating the material from the back - might not work and would be a different effect, but what I think you have is a really good setup idea to play around with! Great job.
Hi Paul.

Thanks for the very detailed feedback. Really happy you gave my images so much thought. That sounds a good idea to try moving the flowers back from the cloth.

Gaz

Watery, A very clever interpretation Gary (y)

Companions - He’s behind you! :) Super shot. I do like this as it tells a story. I like the crop and am happy with the central positioning in this particular case. The use of a very complimentary depth of field really strengthens the shot. Nice one.

Elegant - I’m afraid the material this is shot through isn’t working for me particularly in the area where the shadows from the flower heads hit the gauze. The overall idea was a good one though. Could I suggest a reshoot without the gauze and then add a layer as a texture containing an image of just the gauze. That may work better. That said I may be wrong.

Watery - I think you’ve won the prize for the first use of scrabble letters this year LOL. Actually rather than the sometimes naff offerings I’ve seen in previous years (apologies if I’ve offended anyone) this one really DOES work. The crop, the wooden background, the slight jumble of letters, good lighting and the addition of the water, particularly on the squares all make this a super shot. Well done.

Hi there.... Good idea for watery and really well executed [emoji5]️. Really like the reflections on the water drops in the letter tiles.

Thanks everyone, some great feedback here. Very pleased :)

Gaz

Bold

Sorry for the late try this week. I had been thinking about this one, on and off all week. I had wanted to do something super hero type thingy but I think I would have been batting waaaaaay above my ability :-(
Anyways I took this last night.

I think I got the feeling I wanted but laying things out proved to be a challenge. As I upload here I find myself suddenly thinking I should have shot straight down onto the clothing. I did think that at one point but decieded against it as I thought the light would then be flat. I am thinking I was wrong now ? So if anyone viewing could tell me if the lighting would still have revealed the texture/shadows/highlights as in the image below if I had shot straight down from above, that would be great.
My better half has said just do it again but I feel I am falling behind as the new word is out.

Gaz

Bold_tp.jpg

I think you got the angle spot on. The only thing I would change is the lines - I would have arranged the clothes to be parallel to the lines in the boards. I like the idea of someone going to a formal corporate meeting with bold socks on lol. Ticks all the boxes for me :)

Not bold enough -- the socks match! :eek:

I think you got the angle spot on. The only thing I would change is the lines - I would have arranged the clothes to be parallel to the lines in the boards. I like the idea of someone going to a formal corporate meeting with bold socks on lol. Ticks all the boxes for me :)
Hi Summer. Thanks for the feedback. I think it is the lines that are the trouble for me, the image as the right mood and feel I was after but something jars for me if you know what I mean. Do you mean have the clothes layed out like the tie which falls in between a board ? Sorry a bit dim :-(

Gaz

well they don't have to be that perfect, and the trousers are not square so you couldn't get them parallel anyway, but see how the tie is closer to the line at the top than the bottom? just ever so slight adjustments which I think would help, and the lines themselves need to be parallel to the camera, they are going almost diagonal from right to left. I think as straight as you can and see how it looks :) btw, I do have ever so slight Monica-itis lol

well they don't have to be that perfect, and the trousers are not square so you couldn't get them parallel anyway, but see how the tie is closer to the line at the top than the bottom? just ever so slight adjustments which I think would help, and the lines themselves need to be parallel to the camera, they are going almost diagonal from right to left. I think as straight as you can and see how it looks :) btw, I do have ever so slight Monica-itis lol

No no your on the money here the lines play havoc. I think I made things hard for myself with this choice of background :)

Gaz

They're nice boards .... should make a handy BG for many of your 52s shots. A lower POV and tighter crop will move most of that light reflection out of the scene.

Thanks Dave. I stuggled with the hot spot and couldnt figure out a way of positioning the light to create a more even light but still coming from low and from the back to create the nice shadows and textures ?

Gaz

Back