weekly Cargo's 52 for 2015 Machine added

Many thanks to all whom have posted above. To say I am really chuffed that this image was liked so much is an understatement :)

Gaz

Great Fragile image. Suits the theme perfectly. I prefer the wider view personally - it kind of emphasises the fragile nature somehow. It works great in mono too.(y)

Beautiful image Gary. There's some good detail in the cropped version, but I actually prefer the first one, it just somehow makes the egg and feathers look more fragile with all that contrasting blackness surrounding them.

Fragile - I am on a catch up with my comments, I can't really add anything to what's been said so far.
Thank you Mandy
Beautiful image Gary. There's some good detail in the cropped version, but I actually prefer the first one, it just somehow makes the egg and feathers look more fragile with all that contrasting blackness surrounding them.
Thanks Elaine. I have settled on the first myself.

Gaz

Week 3 Scenic. Not good at landscape type images i'm afraid and not sure this counts as scenic. This was taken on Sunday morning when it was misty, with a little sprinkling of snow that had fallen the night before. I had told my better half about the theme this week and that I would struggle, her reply was you can't duck out! So as were leaving the house she said bring the camera you might see something whilst we are out.
The park is just up the road from our house, as we past on the way to visit Mum & Dad I saw the mist and thought I could maybe catch some dog walkers or runners disapearing into the mist.

Gaz

scenic_tp.jpg

Tyre tread removed as per comments/tips. Not sure which is best ?

scenic_no_line_tp.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely misty morning, can't say I'm too fond of the line runing up the middle of the picture. Some would say it leads the eye into the picture but it rather distracts me. Nothing you could have done about it, just the way the scene was when you took it. Good photo nevertheless.

I really like this, it certainly hit the theme. The dog walker completes the bphoto and it works well as a mono. My only crit is the line up the middle of the path/road but it could be cloned out easily enough.

A misty scenic, it makes you wonder what's actually beyond the trees, in the distance.
Yep it works for me too Gary :)

Hi, i like it as the themes title is scenic, I think its a lovely scene (y)

Super image and so on theme.
And I feel your pain I'm struggling this week.

Lovely image the dog and walker add to the feel and the lone tyre track leads you into the image.

I'm struggling this week as I need to get out but with work and other commitments I'm not getting out....

Many thanks people. Great that you take the time to comment. When I saw the tyre line I instinctively composed that way as thats what we are conditioned to do but it does seem to work without?
Simon/Mark, hope you get sorted with your entry this week. I found it hard work to come up with an image. That said I only took 3 photos and 2 of them were of this scene, the other image was an idea I had but needed some more thought.

Gaz

a nice interpretation of the topic, nice bit of mist well captured. better without the tyre mark

Hi Gaz yes there is something about this shot! I not a particular fan of B&W but sometimes a mans gotta do...
However having said that I quite like this, something moody about it and I love the figure disappearing into the mist.
Worst thing about this shot is that your going to have to admit to SWMBO she was right as painful as it might be Gaz:(.
I like the prominent tree on the right and the mist drifting through the branches, you were right to take out the centre line as it divides the shot badly. But the mild diagonals of the path edges lead you into the shot nicely. Well done nice work(y)

I was gonna say something about, dim dingy parks and woodlands and allegedly walking dogs but best not:exit:

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome aboard Gary !!!
Really glad to see you've decided to give this a go this year.

The 2nd close up shot for Fragile is a real stunner IMO - absolutely beautiful image, well composed, nicely lit - perfect for the theme (y)

Scenic - Another lovely one.
I really can't decide on the tyre tracks though. 10 minutes ago I was convinced that the original with them in was the better option. It looks more 'real' and the track gives something solid to anchor your eye and contrast with the mistiness of the rest of the image. Looking at them now though, I'm drawn to the cleaner, second version with them edited out. Can't decide!

Hi Gaz yes there is something about this shot! I not a particular fan of B&W but sometimes a mans gotta do...
However having said that I quite like this, something moody about it and I love the figure disappearing into the mist.
Worst thing about this shot is that your going to have to admit to SWMBO she was right as painful as it might be Gaz:(.
I like the prominent tree on the right and the mist drifting through the branches, you were right to take out the centre line as it divides the shot badly. But the mild diagonals of the path edges lead you into the shot nicely. Well done nice work(y)

I was gonna say something about, dim dingy parks and woodlands and allegedly walking dogs but best not:exit:
Hi Steve. Thanks for the great feedback. Yes have to admit she is generally right :)

Gaz
:wave: Welcome aboard Gary !!!
Really glad to see you've decided to give this a go this year.

The 2nd close up shot for Fragile is a real stunner IMO - absolutely beautiful image, well composed, nicely lit - perfect for the theme (y)

Scenic - Another lovely one.
I really can't decide on the tyre tracks though. 10 minutes ago I was convinced that the original with them in was the better option. It looks more 'real' and the track gives something solid to anchor your eye and contrast with the mistiness of the rest of the image. Looking at them now though, I'm drawn to the cleaner, second version with them edited out. Can't decide!
Hi Sahar

Many thanks for your thoughts on my images will help me loads.
Am with you keep jumping from one to the other as to which I prefer tbh am sick of seeing it now :-(

Gaz

Definitely Scenic ... I like it very much, and the B&W works well here. I normally think B&W should mean high contrast, but this misty greyscale (?) works well.

I normally like blacks through to whites in monochrome shots but in this case the lightness of tone works well and brings some atmosphere to the image. I'm a bit distracted by the line on the path (maybe a bike rode up there before you) but that could possibly be cloned out

Week 4 Companion

Strange this, we did the same thing last week we went out for a walk on Sunday afternoon and thought we would walk down the side of the river Medlock which runs right into Manchester. All though we have lived in this house for over 25 years we have never walked that way :-(
Anyways we had been out 10 mins or so and we came accross this little dog and his companion ;-) I feel that not much thought has gone into this but hey ho I havn't done anythig else so will ahve to post this.

Gaz

10nb12v.jpg

Nicely focused on the alert little dog not looking at the camera but something more interesting or a greater threat elsewhere. And the master OOF in the BG.

Hi sometimes we happened across photographs like this and we don't have much time to really think it through,that said you have got nice separation and a good depth of field, a slight crop would improve it in my opinion.

Cheers

Really great picture for the theme. (y)

Nice image for the theme and I like the dof. Its making me wonder what the owner is doing but I also see that he has true in his dog. As said its a shame the dog isn't looking at you but that adds to the wonder because (as mention) I'm wondering what he's looking at. Good stuff!!

Back