Digitall's 52!!! Week 27 Art

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
This will be my first post in what will be a very interesting project for me.
I have never done any project for such a long period I hope I can stay the course. I will follow as best I can the rules, if I deviate or miss weeks I will catch up if I possibly can. [edit] I was thinking about my 52, and I decided that only images taken in 2010 will be eligible for use in this thread if by any chance I cannot get the weeks shot for any reason (I guess that's like playing a joker) :)[/edit]
So for my first Image.... The filaments of a light bulb.

4253726949_6e85fa9e16_o.jpg

4257465346_ae8121f289_o.jpg

The Starling

Flying high flying low flying to and flying fro never a crash or fall to the floor the starling’s flight is on the go
The evening is dark then its light with thousands of starlings in regal flight
The starling roost in the trees after aerial trapeze
As night creeps in the starling still on the trees and branches
They sleep all night until its light and then again they all take flight

Last edited:
Hi Allan,

Nice to see somebody else from South Wales taking part (y)
I hope you do find it an interesting project.

I love your first entry . . . very, very creative (y)
Is that taken using welding glass or have you gone the more high tech filter route?
your Exif data doesn't seem to be intact, but I'd really like to know what settings you used.

A very simple image when you see it on screen, but it works very well. In fact, I keep wanting to go back and look at it.

You've beaten me to it again Sarah ;)... I agree with you. Really like it.

Hi Sarah, John
Thanks for the replys, the first in two days Yeah!
No filters were used in the taking of this shot, and no Photoshopping apart from cloning out one or two bits of stray light reflections, this was all done in camera. I took about twenty to thirty shots at different settings then selected the final shot from the results.
Nikon D300 Sigma 105 ISO800 1/3200 @ f32

Allan

I hate to say it, but I think that pic might be a little large. :rules:

As for the image... it's not really doing a lot for me. Not sure why, it just a bit... :shrug:

I'll try and think of something better to say over the coming 51 weeks. Sorry it's a bit vague.

Both super captures, will be watching with interest, keep up the good work.

(subscribed)

I don't think I've ever seen a Starling that close up before and I'm really surprised at just how pretty their plumage is!

Fantastic level of sharpness and detail captured in the feathers. (y) Looks like there's a nice catch light in the eye too, but I'd like to see that just a little sharper to make the most of it.
I'd also like to see just a touch more DOF to bring in the branch that the bird's perched on - he just seems to be a little bit stuck in mid air at the moment.

I'm absolutely in awe that you managed to catch such a clear, crisp image though and that outweighs any niggles I might have.
Every time I have this sort of opportunity, they've flown off before I can get my camera :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Technically, #1 is very good, but#2 looks a bit contrived somehow. I agree the bird itself is a great shot, but it does look out of place and very much over-processed as well.

Arthur

What a superb image of a Starling (y) Sharp and colourful with excellent Bokeh... My only gripe is the big white splotch on the left, it's a bit distracting. But it fits the theme well...

Sarah, wait till you see one in bright sunlight at just the right angle...

Nice Starling shot, good angle too, agree with John above, the area around the white blob in the left corner looks like something has been cut out to me, looks very strange

Nice ones..and I couldn't figure out what the 1st one is until I read your description..cool, creative idea! and on the 2nd one, it looks like he caught you taking a picture of him.. :D

I have wanted to this for some time, so today I cleared a big space in my shed put the heater on and prepared the setup. I dropped the bulb onto an upturned axe that was held in a vice by the handle. I decided that I wanted a close shot of the bulb starting to crack, but as I had a limited supply of bulbs timing was critical. I used a rolled up news paper that was dropped from the same height as the bulb would be, I was then able to adjust the timing.

This is the shot I have chosen for this weeks theme.
4287548665_9d2ab9763d_o.jpg

I like both of these, although I did not use them as I think there is more action in the chosen image.

4287744669_e7f4659af6_o.jpg

4288485636_6e956e3e9a_o.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant shot, great concept and perseverance, any bulbs left? I hope so, can;t wait to see next weeks' shot. Nice focus and depth, I bet you're pleased as well with it.

Arthur

Really like that, a very good take on a theme that is hard to steer away from the common ideas.
Agree with your choice of the first image, as out of the three posted, I fell this fits the 'chopped' theme the best, through the bulb having been sliced, where the next 2 they have just started to crack.
Lighting and background also work very well.
Well done so far on the 52, keep it up (y)

great shot, love how the motion of the chop has been frozen, with bit's of the bulb flying about

Chopped - Well thought out, set up and taken. You've picked the right one for the theme. Bloody good shot (y)

Brilliant -well done! :clap::clap:

I know how difficult it is to get the timing just right but you have managed it perfectly, with excellent lighting.

well done like that shot and glad you got it right in the end, its made me think if I could use your idea of turning an image upside down or just through 90degrees look forward to your next few pictures of the 52:clap:

I've missed out on your 52 so far, but I'm glad I popped in. I'm really impresed with the filament from week one. There's enough of it in the image so that you can see what it is, but it also hides a lot which I like.

The Starling shows a good dof although it looks like something is missing from the lower left hand side. It's been raised a few times, but it just looks a bit odd having the feet missing. It goes well with your chosen poem though, and I think that's important.

This weeks image I'm really impressed with. Sometimes, you just get your timings right and you can see how close you were with the other two shots you posted. I love the way the glass is flying, although I'm starting to wonder if you have a 'thing' with lightbulbs! :LOL: Your idea was really good and a great take on the theme :clap:. I did wonder how you took it as I thought that you were dropping the axe to start with (but I couldn't see any movement), then I saw the other two images and flipping it upside down was a smart move.

Well done!

I like the one you've chosen, but I wonder how this one might've looked with a snooted speedlight behind the light to simulate it actually being lit.

Sarah, wait till you see one in bright sunlight at just the right angle...

That's something I'll be on the lookout for in future (y)

I have wanted to this for some time

:wacky: You've wanted to axe a light bulb for some time?

;) I'm glad that you have, because it's worked really well.
Absolutely agree with the shot you picked. Great motion with the glass flying and although you make it sound simple, well done with the timing.

very different approach
and I think it works too! :clap:

Allan, that's very clever and has worked brilliantly. (y)

Excellent - well executed shot!

Phil

Do you by any chance work for the Energy Saving Trust? You seem obsessed with wanting to put all incandescent bulbs to sleep! :LOL:

Cool shots of the bulbs - both the filament and the one's that are cracking. I would have struggled with the timing but you seem to have nailed the timing perfectly, especially capturing the small pieces flying in the air as the bulb was cracking.

One piece of advise I can give though is don't try this with a low energy bulb - I was at a factory in China last week that makes low energy bulbs and they are filled with some nasty stuff that you wouldn't want splattering over you! :eek:

Look forward to seeing more light bulb torture shots from you in future weeks.

What a nightmare this week has been regarding my computer. Still after many hours fiddleing with the bleedin thing we are back to nearly full strenghth.
Not my favorite of topics and out of my comfort zone.
I have used a shot from the snow we got the other week, not the best by far.
My granddaughter on our snow covered car in our street.

4319172404_bbbda71bd7_o.jpg

Last edited:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: No light bulbs this week???

It's a nice fun shot.

Not as good as your others so far, but I think you know that.
And it is a real memory shot to look back on in years to come.

It wouldn't fit for street, but the pink of her outfit stands out really well against the snow . . . would have made for a nice portrait if you'd gotten in a bit closer to her face and shoulders.

Back